View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 08:41 PM
I would be surprised if many breed rescues will take it, either due to this incident or for some just plain lack of space or helpers able to commit the time to assess the dog.

I know of all the dogs that have had aggression issues that have came to me via breed rescue, none have had a history of biting a child.

Sadly what we have here is a novice owner, whos had a very serious scare, she is now out of her depth with no real offer of help, from either the RSPCA, or at this point breed rescue,

I feels shes in a very hard place, I wish I lived a bit closer so I could offer more practical help, even if that were to take the dog and stick it in my kennels out back until something was in place for him.

Is no one in the same area as the OP that can help?
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by kitty View Post
We have had our dog since 17th March, he is approx 4 years old and was rescued from the RSPCA about 12 months ago by a friend, her circumstances changed and she was looking to send him back to the RSPCA.
I said we would take him for a couple of weekends to see how things went, anyway we ended up keeping him.
He has always been very dog aggressive and does have big scars on his back and small ones on his head so I think he has been attacked by a dog but since my friend got him he has never been aggressive to people.

This morning my 3 year old son and our dog were both right in front of me, (I have always been careful never to leave them alone) I watched my son stand alongside the dog and stoke his back, I was on the lap top and looked away at the screen, the next thing I knew the dog was on top of my son, barking and growing, I struggled to drag him off, all the time he was lunging and pulling back to get to my son.
I put him straight outside and ran back to my son and the dog has kind of nipped him on the side of his face next to his eye, at first it looked like all bruised and swollen and like there was blood welling up beneath the skin, but now like the skin is actually broken.
Its not a really bad bite or anything but I'm so worried as to what he might do it he tried it again.
Whilst I was dragging him off, it worried me that he was trying to get back and carry on and I could just tell that if he had been really biting him I would have never been able to stop him.
I feel terrible now, its my fault as I should never have taken a dog I who's full background I didn't know and put my children at risk, and what happens now, I have phoned the RSPCA for advice and they have no room and I would be on a 6 month waiting list, if I told anyone else they might say Oscar needs to be put down, when I put him in this position in the first place.
I don't know what to do, If the RSPCA can't take him what can I do?
In every way he seems to be such a friendly dog to people, I never have had to worry about people coming round as he never barks or anything, all he wants is to be stroked.
I just don't know what to do.
The two parts in bold give me a very probable reason/explanation for what has happened. Through no fault of the child I believe something triggered the dog's psychosis when he was being stroked (possibly a certain way by a 3 year old) on his back.

Now, this may well mean that he is too badly affected by his past and the best thing is to have him pts. But it also might be something to be worked on!

I question the RSPCA in the OP greatly (6 month waiting list after hearing about this????!??!!), BUT am I also right in thinking the owner they re-homed him to originally is childless? If so I wonder if she passed on that the dog was unsuitable to homes with children? Or did she not know?

I don't know where I'm going with that necc', just that there are lots of questions and NONE of this is OP's fault. I hope you believe that Kitty.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 08:45 PM
where is Preston?
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
where is Preston?
Other side of Manchester I believe, between Manchester and Blackpool
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
This poor dog has been shoved from pillar to post and should never have been put in this situation. If the first owner wanted rid, she should have taken the dog back to the rescue he came from. Obviously issues arising from previous ill-treatment have never been addressed.
This is the reason rescues assess dogs and vet owners - to avoid this totally preventable situation.
I expect by now the situation has gone past recovery and the dog will be put down. He has been failed all along the line.
Very sad.
great post, the RSPCA probably rehomed the dog in good faith to the original person, i'm sure their contract states that the dog should go back to them should circumstances change.

instead well meaning or not he has been passed about and ended up in a home that he isn't comfortable with, i feel sorry for the owner and understand where she is coming from people do come first, but i also feel desperately sorry for a dog, that has obviously been mistreated in his past. I just wonder when Kitty conatcted the RSPCA whether she told them that the dog had been rehomed from them in the first place.

I know NESSR wouldn't be happy if one of ours had been passed on, same as all of you who breed responsibly wouldn't be happy if one of your pups had been passed on, because we all aim to get our dogs, pups or rescues into the best home for them
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 08:48 PM
I've come on to this thread very late on, having not been on here much recently, so apologies if I am speaking out of turn, but my opinion has always been that no dog should ever bite or seriously harm the young of it's own species, or it's human owners. As with our species, dogs have a natural inhibition to do such a thing. I have seen it time and time again with Tai, with our daughter's Chihuahua puppy, Gucci, who persists in sinking his teeth into Tai's jowls, or his tail. It really really hurts him, but he never ever ever snaps or snarls. If that were an older dog, he would definitely tell him off, but at the very worst he growls when the pain gets unbearable!

I hate to say it, but I would not rehome Oscar, thus passing on a very dangerous problem. I think there is no option but to euthanise, I know this sounds harsh, but there are so many gorgeous, lovely dogs in Rescue Homes who desperately need a good home, and would be a perfect companion in this household ... why take the risk? I am desperately sorry for Kitty, I know how hard it is, but I honestly believe Oscar should be euthanised.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 08:49 PM
the sad part is,

even if someone from rescue did take that dog on, assess him and felt that he was ok,
they would still have a duty to tell any owner what had happend,
lets be honest, they would most likely take the dog in the next kennel that did not have such a history,
homes for dogs that have bitten are few and far between sadly.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 08:50 PM
Shona, if this were a springer we would take, unfortuantely none of us have any experience of dobermans
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
the sad part is,

even if someone from rescue did take that dog on, assess him and felt that he was ok,
they would still have a duty to tell any owner what had happend,
lets be honest, they would most likely take the dog in the next kennel that did not have such a history,
homes for dogs that have bitten are few and far between sadly.
If the circumstances were right, would you take him?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-05-2010, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
had more than a scratch..

and I have read the thread and not one person that i have seen has said the dog wasnt being aggressive, members have just been trying to 'work' out why the dog was aggressive!
Originally Posted by DevilDogz
, plus no one knows why the dog snapped and that to me shows this isnt just an evil attack because lets face it if it was the kiddie wouldnt have walked away with just a scratch to the face
Your own words.. in your opinion the dog did not attack , because the child only had a scratch to his face!!
Closed Thread
Page 17 of 47 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 > Last »