View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2005, 10:50 PM

Whats suitable and whats not ??????????????

I did a home check tonight for a 4 month old GSD cross pup
Couple were perfect- had a StaffyX Jack russell.
Dog (Lucy) was lovely, happy and well cared for
Couple were lovely and it was obvious they loved their baby

But............

their house didnt have a front garden and opened out into the street which happened to be on a main road -
Rescue centre doesnt like this set up normally

Would you rehome the dog?

I know what I think - and what I will say to the rescue centre
but what do you think??????????????????
CBT
Dogsey Senior

02-02-2005, 10:56 PM
I would probably say yes?, the home and the caring nature of the people is more important than the size of their house or their garden, im pretty sure they will be capable of putting a lead on the dog before they leave the house and keeping the dog under close supervision - I would judge them on their situation as a whole rather than just going by the garden, but at the end of the day you have to use your own judgement as well as the policies of the rescue centre
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2005, 10:56 PM
Hi Lel.

I'd say YES to them if they met everything else. I mean why should they be penalised because they live in a house without a front garden - I mean 10 Downing Street opens directly onto the street! so they wouldn't home a dog there then either?

It is silly hundreds if not thousands of homes open onto the street. - And if the rescue centre want that little bit more from the couple how about a compramise of a "babygate" on the front door so the pup couldn't run straight out - not that I suspect the people are that "unaware" with already having a dog.

Karen
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2005, 11:03 PM
Karen
glad you mentioned the babygates
They have them in the kitchen/living room area already and I suggested they get one from living room to hall area
they looked so gutted when I mentioned about this issue with the main road
But I think its a shame if the rescue centre refuses them and keeps pup in kennels because of this
They are a lovely couple and their little girly is lovely too
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2005, 11:10 PM
I would of said yes too. I passesd a H/C not that long ago and they had a home with a similar set up.
I mentioned about the fact that I wasn't too happy about the front of the house being so near a busy road and they dragged out an old, wooden type baby gate and asked me 'would this stop the dog then'

I doubt a horse would of got over it, let alone a dog
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2005, 11:11 PM
Hi Lel.
(I am in no way comparing a human life to that of a dog here folks)The silly thing is no one would stop a child being adopted into a home with no front garden would they?
I understand the saftey issues but I would imagine the people are aware of those anyhow.
It would be ashame if they did get deemed suitable for a dog because of this. I mean they could go and buy one couldn't they???

You could try the option of the babygate or even make one themselves if they are handyish out of dowel.

Hope it works out for them.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2005, 11:14 PM
I will be gutted if they are refused
They took on their other girly because the idiot breeder said he would take her to the pound as he couldnt sell her

I think the gate will be ok but as I mentioned to Stu earlier-
they could be refused tomorrow and they could still get a pup from anywhere
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2005, 11:41 PM
I think somtimes rescue centers can be too strict ,my Mums friend who loves dogs and has 2 already that are very well looked after wanted to offer a home to a rescue dog but she was turned down because she already had 2 dogs ???
bobbie3917
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2005, 12:16 AM
is that not a bit stricked
i dont have a frount garden, (but i do line in a side street) so does that mean i could not resce a dog?
cos if you think about it how many houses do have a frount garden? around by me not many
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2005, 12:19 AM
unfortunately that is this particular rescues rules Nat
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >