Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2006, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I've owned a total of 16 dogs in my life. All were chipped, no chips moved and all were readable. Had 2 dogs tattooed and both were illegible so erm in my experience 100% success for the chip 100% failure for the tattoo.
If you have something to say about prevent homeless dogs then say so Joedee don't turn this into a chip v tattoo debate because all you will do is make me more determined to insist that chipping is the ONLY form of acceptable ID. Then where will you be?
Becky
I have already bsaid Licence the owners before they can get a dog-no licence no dog QED
gaznweebeasties
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-12-2006, 03:27 PM
i heard recently that there is a nationwide problem with rescue centres and vets that dont routinely scan dogs that are brought into them, not all but some.

with the point that was just raised about the rescue centres being able to transfer details so that a dog can be put to sleep i cant help but think its time people start thinking about more ways to identify their dogs, be it tattooing or other ways, instead of which is best.

the more id you have the better chance you have of being reunited

the problems with liscensing owners are
1) authorities will be able to make money from applying for, to gaining a liscence
2) who would actually police this? would you have to carry your liscence on all walks
3) if people can clone microchips and cut off tattooed ears what would stop forging a liscence
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2006, 03:37 PM
cut off tattooed ears
Just to clarify this statement no dog that has been tattooed by the NDTR has had it's ear cut off

The only dogs to have had their ear tattoos multilated or their ears removed have been racing greyhounds dumped by their owners & this is doen to hide their identity as owners of the dogs

The only reason anyone would try to have a false owners licence would be be they had been banned from owning dogs/cats etc & as this would be part of a current criminal record the police would be able to ID through the central criminal records

It could be run on the lines of driving licences & include a photo etc Not much that a criminal could gain from having a dog owners licence unlike a drivers licence or passport
gaznweebeasties
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-12-2006, 03:44 PM
its all money. if you cant own a dog without a liscence you cant breed from a dog which means you cant make money, and lets face it, the type of person that would forge a liscence would only be in it for the money.

dont get me wrong im all for having some kind of register in place i just cant see how it would be workable. maybe the brains at dogsey can argue something out
(id say debate it but you know that wouldnt work )
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2006, 06:04 PM
and Joedee, what makes you so certain that you'd pass?
Becky
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2006, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Becky

Please keep the thread on topic

There is a huge homeless dog problem in the UK so what are your thoughts on how to reduce this?
I think the single most important thing which would reduce the numbers requiring new homes would be to ban the sale of puppies by third parties.
If all puppies had to be sold from the breeders premises then impulse buying would near enough be eradicated.
Secondly I think that there should be a compulsory identification of dogs, not a yearly licence, but just to make sure every dog has been identified and registered. This should be a requirement of sale of the puppy and not when in the hands of the new owner, i.e. done by the breeder.
Anybody else?
Becky
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2006, 06:59 PM
Well I doubt Joedee would qaulify as he is a 6 year old Cavalier
I probably wouldn't qualify at all: 48 years of owning well trained & well behaved dogs, being a KCGC assessor, KC qualified Obedience Judge, running a KC registered pet dog training club, being involved in dog rescue for 40 odd years, keeping my dogs in the best of health & not breeding, working the police & being an impartial expert witness called in by several Judges & Justices of the Peace in cases concerning dogs & their behaviour

Nah I definitely wouldn't qualify,I've obviously one of the many bad owners whose dogs stray & multiple at will.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2006, 07:22 PM
At the large rescue center I work at all dogs are routinely checked for microchips on entering the premises, any dogs found to have chips(whole body is scanned BTW) we contact the chip company to get owners details, ie telephone/address etc, we phone the owners and send out cards to the registered addresses, problem is many times the owners have moved address and not informed the chip company and changed the details. so where does that leave the rescue center, well the dogs stay with us for 7 clear days if the owners have not contacted the center and claimed it(bearing in mind this rescue center is very well known so owners if they contacted the police or dog wardens would be told to get in contact with us, it becomes the property of the center and the dog will go up for rehoming the chip details will be transferred to the new owners.

All dogs without chips or tatoos, on the 7th day of being in the center get micro chipped automatically and as the dog gets rehomed the new owners are transferred over.

dogs entering our center get vaccinated, flea treatment,wormed and then on the 7th day micro chipped, rehoming fees are £60 for mixed breed dog and £75 for a pedigree, now then I would like to see how the statement that large rescues make money out of chipping? bearing in mind some of the dogs in rescue can be there for a very very long time,many need veteranary treatment, special diets etc yet the fees are comparitively low and include the chipping.

Personally I think the chipping is a good thing, we regularly have the same dogs coming back in from dog wardens, having these dogs chipped enables the center to reunite the dogs to their owners very quickly, when you are dealing in large numbers of dogs it is sometimes difficult to find tatoos due to many reasons, ie thick hair in the area, dog may be over stressed and will not allow easy access to ears or inner thighs, finding chips is far easier in these cases.

with regards to how to reduce the amount of dogs in rescue well that is extremely difficult do, as many of the rescues will tell you. we can all make suggestions on how this should be done, and in an ideal world we could work something out. but who will police it?

Mo
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2006, 07:22 PM
dont forget the sheepdog trialling Dyane
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Why do the big rescues chip because the chip companies reward them(& the KC)for promoting their busineses) & the chipping of other peoples dogs earns them money
Sorry I think that's a bit harsh, AllBreeds Rescue (and many other Rescues) pay a lot of money to microchip their rescues and certainly don't receive any money or sponsorship from the microchip company. Many don't chip member of public’s dogs so it certainly isn't profit making!!!

Cloning chips wouldn’t work as the microchip company can only register the same number once.

Originally Posted by gaznweebeasties View Post
we were told that should she ever go missing and be scanned 3 different numbers will show up. because our details are on two of three it will prove we have rightful ownership of the dog, the other person only has ownership of the chip.
This doesn't sound right, if I were you I'd go back to the rescue and speak to the manager demanding they change the 3rd chip into your name. There's a 1 in 3 risk that if your dog was picked up as a stray, the first number to be scanned is the wrong chip number. Once a chip has been found you don't routinely search for another.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >