Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

17-10-2011, 02:15 AM

When is it acceptable to put your dog up for rehoming

I'm finding it difficult to find 'reasons' for when it is.

Obvious ones are health - maybe you are unable to look after your pet any more. Or money, where you can't afford the pets or your own food.

Any others?
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 04:02 AM
Lost home, Lost of income, Illness, Bereavement (and unable to cope) When the dog is unmanageable in its current home, unsafe around children/livestock
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 05:23 AM
I hate to think I would have to ever do this, I know I have said to my son if anything happens to me and Pat is struggling would he take a couple and he has said yes.
But recently I went through this with a friend as it looked like she was loosing her home, she has 3 JRT's and she was mortified at the possibility of having to re-home them. Thankfully she was able to keep them as things have been sorted now.
But there is also people that go into hospital long term, where social workers get involved and eventually the dog is rehomed due to cost of kenneling, asbo's on the animal (neighbour disputes, noise, etc) where people feel it better to rehome rather then have the problems. And time, personally I think if the owner hasn't the time and the animal is suffering by being left alone, no exercise, no company etc., its best for it to be rehomed ....just my opinion
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 06:37 AM
I think the short answer is whenever the health and welfare of others will be threatened.

This could mean many things, divorce, having to sell house, having to move to rented accommodation or in with the rellies etc.

No income, no time (due to maybe having to do 2 jobs), chronice illness of spouse, children, close relative.

Serious aggression between kennel mates.

Dog becomes dangerous to others, whether family, others or other dogs and is beyond the scope of ability of current owners.

It is easy to stand on the side lines and say "I would never give up my dogs " but unless you have BEEN desperate it is impossible to say.

If you have never even had to contemplate that this decision may be necessary, count yourself very very lucky.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 06:39 AM
Totally agree SB
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 06:42 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I think the short answer is whenever the health and welfare of others will be threatened.

This could mean many things, divorce, having to sell house, having to move to rented accommodation or in with the rellies etc.

No income, no time (due to maybe having to do 2 jobs), chronice illness of spouse, children, close relative.

Dog becomes dangerous to others, whether family, others or other dogs and is beyond the scope of ability of current owners.

It is easy to stand on the side lines and say "I would never give up my dogs " but unless you have BEEN desperate it is impossible to say.

If you have never even had to contemplate that this decision may be necessary, count yourself very very lucky.
was going to reppie you but have to spread them around abit before I can.....so well said xxx
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 07:08 AM

I most certainly do count myself lucky.......now...... but I did have to rehome some years ago... It's something that still haunts me now...
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 07:56 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I'm finding it difficult to find 'reasons' for when it is.

Obvious ones are health - maybe you are unable to look after your pet any more. Or money, where you can't afford the pets or your own food.

Any others?
I was always of the opinion I would never rehome any of mine,yet I found myself in this situation 18 months ago.

We brought in a lovely well bred pup,to show and then go on to breed from hopefully,unfortunately our bitch Meg hated her from day one,we tried everything in the book to try and get her to accept Kizzy,nothing worked

We decided to rehome her because when SBT's hate other dogs it's really hard going,they need to be kept seperately,two doors between them,never allowed to go in the garden together,house together and it was very stressful for all of us,dogs included.
One door left open or one mistake and we knew we would end up with a serious fight between Meg and Kizzy.

I was extremely fussy as to where she was going, and had hundreds of phonecalls and emails.We interviewed a lovely family,a married couple with 4 children aged 12 down to 3 yrs old and they seemed perfect.
They came back the same evening to collect her,and I did ask they had her spayed if she was purely to be there pet,which they have done.Last Christmas I got updates and pics,she was in the school play dressed up as a reindeer
She has settled in with them very well and is the "family" dog,it wasn't easy rehoming her and was a decision we didn't take lightly but a decision that was the right one for the welfare and safety of all our dogs.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 08:03 AM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
Lost home, Lost of income, Illness, Bereavement (and unable to cope) When the dog is unmanageable in its current home, unsafe around children/livestock

Agree with both these posts.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 08:33 AM
In the beginning there were so many times I gave serious thought to giving Rupert up. I was in way over my head with his issues and in all honesty I still wonder today whether it would have been better for him for me to say "no, I can't cope with this" and let him find a more experienced home. I think someone experienced with fear issues and reactivity would have done a better rehab job than I have but then those homes are in such short supply that chances are he wouldn't have found one. So...we muddled through, I learned a lot along the way, he seems happy enough and Rupe and I are certainly bonded but I do still wonder whether I did the right thing by him. It would have broken my heart to rehome him but if it had given him a better life I'd have done so.

My rottie mix was rehomed privately and to another family member. He was a wonderful dog, pretty much the perfect family dog really. Sweet natured, biddable, not overly smart, gentle, everything the average pet owner could ask for. However, he was scared silly of me. As far as I'm aware I never did anything to cause that sort of fear and I was the one who walked him, fed him, did everything with both dogs really. Didn't matter, he was terribly frightened of me when in the house, on walks he was fine. Wasn't so bad when I lived with my parents and brothers as he got attention from them and could avoid interacting with me. When I moved out though...well, he'd have been stuck with me and my boyfriend, who he was also scared of, and that didn't seem fair. My parents weren't in a position to look after a dog and my uncle loved Wolf so Wolf went to live with him. I got to visit him a few times and he was happy enough. He was pleased to see me and would play with me but when it came time for me to leave he made it perfectly clear he didn't want to come with me

Sometimes rehoming a pet is best for all involved. I certainly wouldn't rehome my dog because he didn't match the furniture or had grown too big or because I'd not bothered to teach him manners. If rehoming was best for the pet though...yes, I'd do it again.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >