Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
I was talking to a lady from Rottweiler rescue at a show recently and she said people would be amazed at how many puppies get handed over from breeders. Rottie litters apparently can be quite big and its not unusual for not all the pups to get homes so the excess (from some, not all breeders) are dumped in rescue. She also said that breeders are the least generous when it come to donating to help the rescues!! Is awful, you breed, you should take responsibility for any pups that are born!
thats terrible but i'm not surprised.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 09:39 PM
i think breeders should be responsible, as otherwise rescue is a rehoming service not a "rescue"

We are currently trying to push through legislation to try and force the mandatory microchipping of all dogs prior to leaving breeders so that people can be held accountable for where their dogs they have bred end up. And thus that the dogs are traceable.
Wish us luck it goes to the next stage of government petitions on the 15th November.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 09:40 PM
Oh good luck - that is a great idea
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
i think breeders should be responsible, as otherwise rescue is a rehoming service not a "rescue"

We are currently trying to push through legislation to try and force the mandatory microchipping of all dogs prior to leaving breeders so that people can be held accountable for where their dogs they have bred end up. And thus that the dogs are traceable.
Wish us luck it goes to the next stage of government petitions on the 15th November.
good luck
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 11:38 PM
I personally feel responsibilty for my babes from the moment they're born to the the moment they go to the bridge.
Until the thread on here today I honestly didnt believe this was common practice and I'm ashamed.
No wonder breeders get a bad rep, although there are good ones out there
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2011, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by rough View Post
what a shame non of her showing friends could help her in this unfortunate situation
or even the stud dog owner if she used someone else's dog
You'd have thought someone would have been able to wouldn't you? Not one of the so called friends she asked were willing to take on the litter. She got out of showing and breeding after that.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2011, 07:55 AM
Theres two dogs in rescue right now, meant to be victorian bulldog crosses, to me they look like bull type crosses but thats it, and although its not confirmed via the owners its thought that they are related, because the both look simalar, ones smaller, both the same age, but both have the same health problems, eyes that are so bad, I can't remember the name, but look so bad, and both have terrible condition skin and coat, with hairloss and grey skin in different areas, both on the same point on their head, ones tounge is permently hanging out, one is worse then the other but their either related, or two different people bred a litter that threw the same health problems, who look simalar, around the same age, but if its the same breeder (who in my mind it seems more likely) then although the owners did seem to love their dogs, they've bred a litter with at least two dogs with health problems, whose ended up in rescue, not pedigree, but def not a good breeder, and although its not the breeder who placed then in rescue I had to rant, sorry. I just hope the breeders proud.
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-10-2011, 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post

good luck although i can't see it getting passed, most reputable breeders already do this, and who's going to check up on the byb's pf's etc if it did become law?. I see you are in Scotland so it might get passed
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by rough View Post
good luck although i can't see it getting passed, most reputable breeders already do this, and who's going to check up on the byb's pf's etc if it did become law?. I see you are in Scotland so it might get passed
It's not just the mandatorymicrochipping though it's general responsible dog ownership so covers,neutering, and licensing to some degree to make every one more accountable. We have a meeting with other rescues dog wardens etc to establish z push on this as it simply cannot go on as it currently is .
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2011, 04:27 PM
Brundog is there anyway you could send some info of that to me? As I could try and speak to the warden or manager of the one round here?
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >