View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bichon Mama
New Member!
Female 

10-07-2008, 03:53 AM

What low-fat supplements can I give for joint pain?

My dog is 11 years old and is suffering from general stiffness and joint pain. The problem is that she is also on a special low-fat diet because of having had pancreatitis. Does anybody know of any glucosamine/chondroitin or other supplements that do not contain any fat in them? I need something to ease her pain but want to avoid all fat so that we don't spark off another episode of pancreatitis. She is not overweight and is otherwise healthy.
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-07-2008, 07:34 AM
I'm not sure how much fat it has but our old dog improved a lot on green lipped mussel. The vet suggested buying the human version as it was cheaper than anything he could give me.
Irish Setter Mu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-07-2008, 07:41 AM
I am not sure of the fat content but I have been using Vetzyme High Strength Flexible Joint Supplements for my 8 year old Irish Setter who has been quite "jointy" for a long time. They are made by Seven Seas - might be able to find out on their website to see the breakdown. They are classed as "tasty chicken bites" and are about the size of an aspirin. Rusty eats them (1 supplement for his 32kg body size) and I believe they have made a difference.

Good luck.

Karen
Bichon Mama
New Member!
Female 

11-07-2008, 01:55 AM
Originally Posted by Dale's mum View Post
I'm not sure how much fat it has but our old dog improved a lot on green lipped mussel. The vet suggested buying the human version as it was cheaper than anything he could give me.
That is the most unusual recommendation I have ever had and I shall try it. Thank you for the tip.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2008, 02:17 AM
Heres some info on GLM for you

http://www.agilitynet.com/health/gre...acecanine.html
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-07-2008, 11:10 AM
Different things work for different dogs. I knew one dog who was transformed when he got a magnetic collar but it didn't help Sam at all. I think you just have to try things out and see what works for your dog.
Pedigree Joint Care seems to be good too.
Khali
New Member!
Female 

14-07-2008, 01:43 PM
Hate to repeat myself, but read about magnesium chloride, Im actually taking it myself now for joint pain, its 100%natural and totally fat free.
Good luck!!