Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2011, 03:21 PM

Home checks..

Just a query.

I am looking to adopt a dog in the near or not too distance future, however if I get a certified home checker to have a look at my home etc how long is it valid for? And does the rescue need it's own home checkers to look or will they take the word from another home check?

Oh and do home checks cost anything?

Thank you
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2011, 03:24 PM
Generally, each rescue that you go to will send their own homecheckers out. They don't usually take the word of another rescues homecheck, unless they work closely with that specific rescue.

Home checks should most certainly not cost you a penny. You will pay a rehoming fee when you rescue your dog which will cover all of that

Well done in rescuing
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2011, 03:52 PM
Thank you for that

Although I would like a mock home check - just so I know what I need to get up to scratch - we are still decorating but the downstairs is pretty much done..
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2011, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Thank you for that

Although I would like a mock home check - just so I know what I need to get up to scratch - we are still decorating but the downstairs is pretty much done..
Just make sure your home is suitable for the dog you're interested in (so say it's a blind dog - which was a consideration when we got Harley - make sure there aren't eye height things etc). Make sure your fencing is suitable (this is a big thing with GSD rescue).

In all fairness though, as you already have three dogs, I can't see there being much a problem (unless one or more is un-neutered) as you will already have dog-proofed your home to a certain extent, and will know how to look after dogs properly

A lot of the questions on the homechecks that I have done, are about working/family/other animal commitments more than anything.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2011, 04:38 PM
I never look at the decor when doing home checks!
Mica
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-09-2011, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
dont you feel tho sb that if somoene has newly decorated, or the house is like a show home.. that you'd be inclined to wonder if they could stand a dog wrecking the place.. I know I do when I'm doing home checks
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by Mica View Post
dont you feel tho sb that if somoene has newly decorated, or the house is like a show home.. that you'd be inclined to wonder if they could stand a dog wrecking the place.. I know I do when I'm doing home checks

See I normally take a dog with me when I do home checks, I can then immediately tell if a dog walking on their cream carpets is going to be a problem!

I go buy actions rather than words.

Also if there are problems with say fences etc I can demonstrate how what may be invisible to them is a magnet for the dog.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2011, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Thank you for that

As said, decorating isn't a big deal but don't feel like you have to have your home 110% done or you'll fail. I had a homecheck knowing I would fail, the fences weren't up to scratch (needed to be 6' all around) but I've got an awkward garden so the homechecker came over to see exactly what I meant and sit down to work out what would work. Fencing it all in would be impossible, and my mum as my "landlady" wasn't happy with it (we live on a farm so to block off the lovely views all around with 6' fencing would have been a shame). Compromise was that we fenced off from the house, straight to the back fence - it's no smaller than lots of regular gardens, and provides a safe place that I can just open the back door and release the dogs into. The rest of the garden is fine for them to play in but Casper goes on a longline because he probably would jump the lower fences if someone went past (public footpath runs in front of the house).
The rescue ran through everything on that first check, I was told I'd pass as long as the fence was sorted, and they just popped over quickly a few days later once I'd got all the fence panels to confirm it was up. Easy peasy.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2011, 05:48 PM
im never interested in decor, a homecheck for me is more about getting a feel for you as a person and your suitability to have a dog, yes with springers we ask for the garden to be secure if you live in the middle of an housing estate, but we're not hung up on 6ft fencing or if you live in the middle of nowhere with no fencing it wouldn't stop me homing a suitable dog to you.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2011, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
Just make sure your home is suitable for the dog you're interested in (so say it's a blind dog - which was a consideration when we got Harley - make sure there aren't eye height things etc). Make sure your fencing is suitable (this is a big thing with GSD rescue).

In all fairness though, as you already have three dogs, I can't see there being much a problem (unless one or more is un-neutered) as you will already have dog-proofed your home to a certain extent, and will know how to look after dogs properly

A lot of the questions on the homechecks that I have done, are about working/family/other animal commitments more than anything.
I only really have Louie full time (entire), Sadie some weeks out of the year (she's entire, never here in season though as I have Lou) Missy (entire)- only here twice a year when her owners go on their jollies and Benjie some weekends, Neutered.. and when they're all here they co-exist well, I've just been explaining to the fosterer that Louie would back down from a fight even with his testosterone - he's a big wuss. I have 3 rabbits - all are in a secure area (from the dogs - a fox can probably squeeze through but I need to mend the gate.

My decor is good anyway

Originally Posted by Mica View Post
See I normally take a dog with me when I do home checks, I can then immediately tell if a dog walking on their cream carpets is going to be a problem!

I go buy actions rather than words.

Also if there are problems with say fences etc I can demonstrate how what may be invisible to them is a magnet for the dog.
My home - a show home, not bl**dy likely

Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
As said, decorating isn't a big deal but don't feel like you have to have your home 110% done or you'll fail. I had a homecheck knowing I would fail, the fences weren't up to scratch (needed to be 6' all around) but I've got an awkward garden so the homechecker came over to see exactly what I meant and sit down to work out what would work. Fencing it all in would be impossible, and my mum as my "landlady" wasn't happy with it (we live on a farm so to block off the lovely views all around with 6' fencing would have been a shame). Compromise was that we fenced off from the house, straight to the back fence - it's no smaller than lots of regular gardens, and provides a safe place that I can just open the back door and release the dogs into. The rest of the garden is fine for them to play in but Casper goes on a longline because he probably would jump the lower fences if someone went past (public footpath runs in front of the house).
The rescue ran through everything on that first check, I was told I'd pass as long as the fence was sorted, and they just popped over quickly a few days later once I'd got all the fence panels to confirm it was up. Easy peasy.
We have a 6 ft (if not more) hedge the whole perimeter of the garden, with wire fencing entwined in it - all is patched up as his great aunt's BC (if you remember me saying about Megan) was the houdini of all dogs - so she helped us. And I have a dog who would happily take a scent and follow it through the hedge if he could get through - can't work out how the foxes are getting on though unless they squeeze under my gates All gates are 6ft 1 is metal and one is wooden - although when we can we're changing all to wooden.

Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
im never interested in decor, a homecheck for me is more about getting a feel for you as a person and your suitability to have a dog, yes with springers we ask for the garden to be secure if you live in the middle of an housing estate, but we're not hung up on 6ft fencing or if you live in the middle of nowhere with no fencing it wouldn't stop me homing a suitable dog to you.
I live in the middle of nowhere but with a road one side of the garden and a field the other..
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >