View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2011, 11:53 PM

Feeling very low :( weight issues etc...

Iv been feeling really low in myself recently. Not sure really what about..just low

Iv been at my parents for the week while our kitchens getting done, theis week has made me feel even worse.

I feel I have put alot of weight on recently, have been to doctors and they have said its because I had the contraceptive implant put in over a year ago, and apparently its very common and the main reason women get it removed.

I feel very self consious about my body, which has been made worse this week. My mum told me in no uncertain way that I am fat and need to loose alot of weight, she said I look pregnant. I felt very depressed and cried alot in my room.

The day after she said this I wore a new top, green strappy. As soon as I came downstairs she said, that colour doesnt do you any favours, you need to be wearing black.... Great start to my day.

I had a sandwich one afternoon for lunch, 2 rounds of bread with ham and mustard, I didnt think there was anything wrong with that? But mum looked at my lunch and said 'your not helping yourself, have 1 piece of bread or you'll always be this size'.

I really felt horrible this week, and when I came home today my OH noticed I was acting differently. I didnt want him to see me naked, when before it didnt bother me. I could see myself in the mirror when I got out of the shower and burst out crying.

I know im overweight, Im trying. I have lost a stone, and want to loose about 3 more. But its really hard.

Sorry for the really long post...just needed to get things off my chest I think
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 01:10 AM
OMGoodness Seriously! I can't believe any mother would say these things to her daughter That's just so sad........

I also put on weight after having the kids. I'm still battling to lose it, I refuse to look in a mirror.

Your OH loves you, and your beautiful pets love you, and that's all that matters You will lose the weight, but not while you're stressed.

I'm here if you ever want to chat *Hugs*
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 06:14 AM
Sheesh - parenting skills sorely lacking!

I've struggled with weight all my life, from a teenager, and it can be debilitating.

However, there is always an answer if you are willing to put the effort in.

I joined Slimming World for 7 months which was very successful. I left but continued to follow the regime. I'm now just 2lbs off losing 4 stone and feel so much better.

SW is just brilliant - so supportive, and once you get the hang of it, the easiest diet ever. I've never felt hungry once.

Give it a go, but only if you're ready for it mentally - you don't want to set yourself up to fail, as that's just depressing.

As for your mother.......

Big hugs hon - make the change...... you won't regret it, I promise.

xxx
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 06:26 AM
You need to stay away from your mother, fancy her saying such hurtful things xxx

And no way is one ham sandwich too much for anyone for dinner! I'd have had a bag of crisps and cake too lol! xx

I don't think any of us are happy with our bodies...

If you do want to loose weight, like Vicki said have a look around at slimming world, weight watchers etc and see if you fancy any of them, or have a look at one of the classes in your local gym - they're ace! - Look up MOKY - zumba is soooo last year I do believe exercise is at the heart of a healthy body and mind

Maybe look at what you eat throughout the week too, I've started trying to eat really healthily these past few months (i do a spreadsheet and food shop every tuesday exactly what i need for the week ahead now and plan all my meals LOL) budgeting my money and ingredients to save money and eat fresh meals cooked from scratch, i've stopped buying ready meals, and even as many biscuits, i try to make 1 cake a week and make that last lol. My diet used to be so terrible! My fridge is now full of veg and healthy stuff and my meals are 10 times more delicious! In just a few weeks i felt much better in myself, perkier and healthier, more awake too which makes me happier!

Big hugs xxxxxx
Cachapman710
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-08-2011, 06:53 AM
How can any Mother be so cruel and tactless!
My daughter has just had the implant and our doctor said it does not make you gain weight. I asked her this question because I know the contraceptive injection used to cause weight gain. Maybe my doctor is wrong?
Have you had your thyroid tested? A lot of weight problems can be connected to thyroid problems.
Please don't let your weight spoil your relationship, tho I will admit I never liked my ex husband seeing me naked either. xx
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 07:29 AM
I'm really sorry that you are feeling this way. How much longer to you have to stay at your mother's? I understand that you are concious about the weight you have put on and will be even when you are not staying there. However, you mother is really not helping the situation. Instead of simply criticising you and being quite cruel IMO, why did she not make some suggestions to do some fun exercise together, something you both enjoy, something you have done before or something totally new? To lose a stone in weight is a big achievement, well done you! Yes, you may want to lose more but this will happen more easily if you are supported, not bullied.
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 08:37 AM
I am sorry to hear you feel a bit low about your weight.

Unfortunately I have the opposite problem, and ever since I was young I have been picked up on the fact I am so skinny/slim not helped I am only 5'2"!!! I hate eating infront of people, and don't really eat much infront of them because people just end up hurting my feelings about it. OH has been fantastic though, he loves me the way I am, never really comments on food I eat, or how much (unless we are out at the steak house then I am a piggy!).

I still have massive issues regarding changing infront of people, won't do it for OH or even the doctors. I am always in hoodies, probably to hide my figure and to "bulk me out".

Can't remember who suggested it, but classes like Zumba are brilliant! Not only for your figure/fitness but to help boost confidence, and meet new people.

I too have a contraceptive implant, I have had it 3 months approx, but not noticed many changes with regards to my weight, but then my hormones and cycles are still settling down.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 10:42 AM
Your mum is being ... unhelpful. And insensitive. I would tell her that. Then move out.
Your weight isn`t you. How you look is not what make you, you. You are a special unique human being with strengths, weaknesses, aims and dreams, none of which is anything to do with your dress size.
In life your weight will go up and down. You will remain you.
Tell your mum to get a life and develop her brain instead of being so obsessed with image.
I`ve been thin, I`ve been fat, I`ve been in between. And usually it has been a reflection of how I`ve felt, not a cause of it.
When I first lost Sam I ate in misery. Now I am coming to terms with it, it is calming down. Do I care? Do I feck.
Your life is so much more than your waist measurement. Live your life and enjoy it and if people say you`re ugly, remember it is themselves they are talking about.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 11:05 AM
I am not defending your mum but my mum can be a bit like this, i think they don't know how to handle it so they think that tough love and words will spur you into action.

I lost a lot of weight after both my children with Weightwatchers, its not too restricting and they are supportive if you stay at the meetings.

I struggled with post natal depression and i was overweight as obviously i'd just had a baby but its a vicious circle, with me if i'm feeling down i comfort eat which makes things worse, guilt trips etc.

Honestly try Weightwatchers because once you feel you have got a grip on it and a bit of control over your diet you will feel much more positive about it.

Good luck and comforting hugs to you x
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 12:28 PM
If money is an issue www.myfitnesspal.com is a good site. Allows you to track food, exercise and has forums where you can get support etc.

I can sympathise with the weight issue, I have 6 stone to lose and I feel like a beached whale. It doesn't matter that my hubby says he loves me no matter what size I am, I don't love myself at this size and nothing anyone says is going to change that. I piled 5 stone on after going on epilepsy medication. I'd previously lost using weight watchers but as soon as they put me on the meds I started gaining 4lbs a week on my maintainence diet.

Do you have a weight loss buddy? I've found that helped me, I'm pretty poor when it comes to losing weight just on my own but when I'm losing weight with someone I find it a lot easier. Course things have gone out the window here with my dad having a stroke but he's on the mend now and I'm off back to Germany on Tuesday so will get back to eating properly then.

Ignore what your mum said if you can. A ham and mustard sandwich is fine for lunch imo. You can't starve yourself to lose weight and you can't cut out everything you like or you'd never stick to it! You'll lose the weight, it's just a shame it doesn't come off as quickly as it went on.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >