View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2010, 02:13 PM
As soon as I read this article, I though there are two sides to every story. The press love having a go at the KC lately, and I've got no doubt that a huge amount of spin was placed on this story.

Just to clarify for some people, being lame and being loose are not the same things! Loose is a term used when a puppy is growing and it's muscles are still loose and haven't tightened up to hold everything together. This means that movement can be poor for a little while, until the muscles tighten. The trained eye can tell the difference between a puppy that is loose compared to a pup that has bad movement due to poor construction. Lame is when a dog is limping due to injury or sometimes because of poor construction.

If the dog really was 5 months old, it should not have been at Crufts anyway. Maybe this was the reason it was asked to leave? Who knows, makes for a good anti-KC report though. Poor old lady takes her cutsie baby puppy out for a nice day, when a mean vet and the horrible KC throw her out onto the streets.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2010, 02:27 PM
Ahh apparently this old lady has five dogs of her own including the pup, and recently was out biking? so not the frail lady that was first potrayed IMO, although out biking at that age is fantastic I think.

Mo
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-03-2010, 02:34 PM
I play bowls and can assure you that there are some very fit 76 year olds around, and can also assure you they are not all very nice!It just makes for dramatic effect , so what if shes 76, big deal, I know nothing about Crufts, no offence to anyone but it just has no interest for me, if they held it at the bottom of my garden I wouldn't bother to go, but it does seem that a 5 month old pup must be too young to take part in some thing like this, and if as others have said there is an age limit, then wouldn't that be why the dog was withdrawn?
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2010, 03:14 PM
apparently the lady in question does not want to go public on this anymore and has refused to answer any email's. here is what has been said so far.

I can only tell you that I have heard from ***, and she is adamant that she wants no publicity now. She particularly asked me NOT to put it in to the breed notes. She made no reference to Andrew, just said to me that they had heard that the Top Guy had been very angry that it had gone public and shouldnt have. Various people have emailed *** and directly asked the question, but there have been no replies or no contacts from her thus far. This is so very sad. Obviously, if I am told that it must not go in Breed Notes - and that was how my email was headed, then I have to respect this wish.

I think Robert Killicks column would be excellent and I know Robert, but *** has asked me not now, to do anything at all. How frustrating is this.

GSD Pedigree Database
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2010, 03:19 PM
Oh well Robert Killick is very good at KC bashing not so good at getting his facts straight.
This would have been great for his column
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2010, 03:20 PM
The Kennel Club on book of face.
The Kennel Club can confirm that a German Shepherd Dog was excluded from the Good Citizen Dog Training Scheme Display Ring. This decision was taken upon the advice of the DFS Crufts vet who felt that the dog showed abnormality in the hindquarters. The Kennel Club is dedicated to ensuring that DFS Crufts is a celebration of healthy dogs and in a ... See moredisplay ring, where there is no judge to make an executive decision, it is particularly important that the vet takes the responsibility for ensuring that all dogs are sound representatives of their breed.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-03-2010, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by liverbird View Post
The Kennel Club on book of face.
The Kennel Club can confirm that a German Shepherd Dog was excluded from the Good Citizen Dog Training Scheme Display Ring. This decision was taken upon the advice of the DFS Crufts vet who felt that the dog showed abnormality in the hindquarters. The Kennel Club is dedicated to ensuring that DFS Crufts is a celebration of healthy dogs and in a ... See moredisplay ring, where there is no judge to make an executive decision, it is particularly important that the vet takes the responsibility for ensuring that all dogs are sound representatives of their breed.
Excluded from the ring,,,,,,,,,,NOT the venue!!
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by mo View Post
no need for the sarcasm? random pic off the net, you tell me if these hips are the correct distance from the floor, and if this is what you would class as acceptable?

Mo
Mo that looks like an American AKC type, certainly nothing you are likely to see here unless the people who like the English type import one as some have.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by *Lorraine* View Post
The baby was in the Good Citizen display team & wasn't lame but "loose". Many Shepherd Pups are loose in their hocks 'til they muscle up.

This lady has been in the breed for over 40 years & gave up her time to support the G.C scheme...disgusting way to treat anyone.
In her Quote she said it was "possibly" lame! thats how i read it
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-03-2010, 06:59 PM
Just a quick thing on the age thing - for dogs taking part in displays, and in discover dogs there is no limit - I've taken a young vallhund of just under 5 months to discover dogs, and I know of someone that took 2 16 week old lowchens one year.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >