View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2007, 04:53 PM

HELP..How do you introduce a second dog....?

We are gonna get a second dog from RSPCA but we are concerned as to the best way to introduce them to each other.

RSPCA have said to take china in to sniff the other dog through the bars, then take them both into reception and see how they get on...

Im just concerned in case it turns sour when we get home... how do you deal with that?

Any advice welcomed....

Alex
xx
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-04-2007, 04:57 PM
When we introduced Storm and Jake we did it on neutral ground then brought them home together. We also made sure Storm got his meals first, lead on first and greeted first. One thing we found hard was letting them get on with it if they had a little spat and only stepped in if it was going to far.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-04-2007, 04:57 PM
I'd stop off somewhere on the way home, let them run about together for a bit on nueteral territory, then maybe let them play in the garden for a bit first.. then let them come in together... I'm sure they'll be fine ...

Good luck
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2007, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
When we introduced Storm and Jake we did it on neutral ground then brought them home together. We also made sure Storm got his meals first, lead on first and greeted first. One thing we found hard was letting them get on with it if they had a little spat and only stepped in if it was going to far.
Well we know china wants to remain queen bee so we are planning on feeding her first etc...im just a bit worried....

Originally Posted by IanTaylor View Post
I'd stop off somewhere on the way home, let them run about together for a bit on nueteral territory, then maybe let them play in the garden for a bit first.. then let them come in together... I'm sure they'll be fine ...

Good luck
China doesnt go offlead as she get selective hearing when off lead so hope that doesnt hamper efforts

Thanks for the advice guys....
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-04-2007, 05:05 PM
I dont think it will hamper efforts as when storm and jake first met it was at a nearby field and we did a couple of laps on there with them on lead.
DanishPastry
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-04-2007, 05:06 PM
Taking a dog to meet at another dogs actual kennel is extremely bad advise unless the kenneled dog is more than usually friendly. Best advise is to meet at neutral ground OUT DOORS, where there is room for them to move around each other. A run or a paddock would be best.
Walk the dogs along side each other with a bit of distance, then gradually move closer together if you are happy that both dogs are relaxed with each other. If the dogs are chilled you should let them interact, but don't wind them up too much, toys might not be a good idea as some dogs can guard there toys a bit from strangers, even if they are normally very friendly towards dogs.
Do not let the new dog off the lead unless you are in an enclosed area. The new dog does not know you and have no reason to feel loyal and stay with you. The dog might spook or just get insecure and take off.
It is important to let dogs take their time to get comfortable with each other. If you force things, the dogs can get stressed and it won't be a pleasureable experience for them to have met. Friendship can happen in minutes or in months, remember that :smt001
Good luck.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2007, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by DanishPastry View Post
Taking a dog to meet at another dogs actual kennel is extremely bad advise unless the kenneled dog is more than usually friendly. Best advise is to meet at neutral ground OUT DOORS, where there is room for them to move around each other. A run or a paddock would be best.
Walk the dogs along side each other with a bit of distance, then gradually move closer together if you are happy that both dogs are relaxed with each other. If the dogs are chilled you should let them interact, but don't wind them up too much, toys might not be a good idea as some dogs can guard there toys a bit from strangers, even if they are normally very friendly towards dogs.
Do not let the new dog off the lead unless you are in an enclosed area. The new dog does not know you and have no reason to feel loyal and stay with you. The dog might spook or just get insecure and take off.
It is important to let dogs take their time to get comfortable with each other. If you force things, the dogs can get stressed and it won't be a pleasureable experience for them to have met. Friendship can happen in minutes or in months, remember that :smt001
Good luck.
i thought that as this would be infront of a load of other dogs all barking and jumping up....
i dont know if RSPCA will let me take the other dog out walkies without someone else....
DanishPastry
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-04-2007, 05:11 PM
ideally it would be one of their kennel staff walking their dog, as they know its personality and temprement :smt001
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2007, 07:01 PM
Exciting Have you found a dog you like?

I would do as others have said, try to introduce the two dogs on neutral ground. How is China with other dogs normally?
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2007, 07:12 PM
In addition to what has already been said, just want to add the advise re first introduction through bars is a very bad idea, it can cause a reaction called Barrier frustration which can give the dogs the wrong impression of each other altogether.
Neutral area is always best, even if just a reasonable distance away from the inmates kennel and run in a relaxed area of the premises if thats all opportunity allows.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >