Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2008, 12:10 PM

Training Woody 13 weeks - 3 questions

1. Toilet training - when we're there he will always sit by the door and wait for us to let him out. He goes happily through the night in his crate for 8-9 hours. But, as soon as we are in a different room, or he is shut in the kitchen he will widdle. How do we get him used to waiting until we can let him out, or does this just come naturally in time?

2. Digging - further to above, I've started trying to get him used to going outside in the garden on his own to do his business, which he does quite happily now, BUT he then either digs frantically, ending up covered in mud in second, or chews the gravel we have out there. Any ideas on stopping this? We've never played with him or trained him in the garden, would this help?

3. Recall - he is absolutely brilliant at this, on his lead but we haven't yet dared to try him off it. I want to though as think he should practice asap while he's still a clingy little pup. Long lines are really expensive here though so does anyone havbe any tips/suggestions on doing this with one?

Thanks xx
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-12-2008, 12:17 PM
No sensible ideas on your other problems, but you should be able to pick up a lunge rein for about £5 in a local equestrian shop, or on Robinsons UK website
justjess
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-12-2008, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by Sez & Amber View Post
No sensible ideas on your other problems, but you should be able to pick up a lunge rein for about £5 in a local equestrian shop, or on Robinsons UK website
I was just about to say the say thing lol, the only problem you'd have is it gettin tangled when they come back to you.

could you not try gettin one of those retractable leads off ebay? we got ours of there and wouldn't be with out it now.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2008, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
1. Toilet training - when we're there he will always sit by the door and wait for us to let him out. He goes happily through the night in his crate for 8-9 hours. But, as soon as we are in a different room, or he is shut in the kitchen he will widdle. How do we get him used to waiting until we can let him out, or does this just come naturally in time?
Some times the widdling is to do with attention, but he is still young, I wouldn't give him into trouble for the widdling I'd clean it up as if it never happened, when he realises he won't get attention for doing it he will stop, some times any attention good or bad is enough, so I'd ignore it ( the widdling )
2. Digging - further to above, I've started trying to get him used to going outside in the garden on his own to do his business, which he does quite happily now, BUT he then either digs frantically, ending up covered in mud in second, or chews the gravel we have out there. Any ideas on stopping this? We've never played with him or trained him in the garden, would this help?
The more time you spend with him outside the quicker he will learn what he can and can't dig or eat, but he is a baby so he will be curious any way x

3. Recall - he is absolutely brilliant at this, on his lead but we haven't yet dared to try him off it. I want to though as think he should practice asap while he's still a clingy little pup. Long lines are really expensive here though so does anyone havbe any tips/suggestions on doing this with one?
you could use a washing line , but you are right imo its best to get them used to this asap, hide behind things obviously where you can still see him, don't call him and let him find you, when you call for him if he is ignoring you , he will keep ignoring you cause he can still hear you so doesn't realise your not there, trusting letting him off in a secure area for the first time is daunting but I'm sure you'll be fine, hope that helps a little, I'm sure everyone will come on and give you some great advise xxThanks xx
best of luck with him xx
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2008, 12:46 PM
I have a very long lead Think it is a 5 meter may be a big longer, I put peat on it when we go to our local walk where he can run free, he doesn't get tangled in it and it just drags along the floor, I have to keep stepping over it if it gets in the way, I used it for Dori.
I am not a fan of the retractable leads I think it teaches them to pull. at least on one of those he will get to know what it is for.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2008, 05:42 PM
I had to go to the retractable lead, the long line got dragged through mud and poo and got tangled around things.
Chris_Collins
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-12-2008, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post

Thanks xx
1. Aside from nighttime, it is unrealistic to think such a young dog can hold it for a long time. As such, you need to amend your routine so that as soon as you wake up, you take puppy straight to the toiletting area and let them go. Then feed/play. Then go again. Then crate.

2. Dirt and gravel will be a novelty to your puppy. Rather than chastise, beckon your puppy to engage play before it happens. Dont wait for the dog to start digging and then intiate play. It will learn digging = play time = bad habit.

3. Find a tennis courts with enclosed fencing and try there.
Dont forget lots of treats and praise. In addition, each time the puppy comes, fuss its head and neck. This will make it a lot easier to apply the lead in the future in case of emergency etc.