Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2013, 12:27 PM

Colitis in a Greyhound

I have been to vets with Bella this morning and she has been diagnosed with colitis. She had diarrhoea and I starved her for 24+hrs during which she was screaming when she was passing motions, vet suggested could have been acidic so painful on passing or spasms. This morning with no diarrohea overnight, the plan was chicken and rice diet to build back to normal but she passed large amounts of blood stained fluid this morning hence the visit to the vets.

She has been given antibiotics and some stuff called Pro Kalin to settle her bowel and I have to take her back on Friday.

She is not interested in food today, I cant get the antib's down her , tried covering it in her favourite tasty things so think I am going to have to put on the back of her tongue and hope she swallows it down.

I must admit I found the blood stained fluid very scary but the vet reassures me she is ok , check gums , and gave a good examination so I suppose will just have to see how it goes, she is a bit lethargic and is understandibly just wants to snooze on the sofa.

Has anyone else experienced this and have any advice other that already received.

Many Thanks
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-02-2013, 12:42 PM
Never had any of our greys diagnosed with colitis but Robbie can sometimes get an upset stomach, and we swear by Pro-Kalin (I buy it online 4 tubes at once so always got some in stock).

It doesn't smell great and the texture doesn't feel very appealing but it does the trick.
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2013, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by kazer View Post
Never had any of our greys diagnosed with colitis but Robbie can sometimes get an upset stomach, and we swear by Pro-Kalin (I buy it online 4 tubes at once so always got some in stock).

It doesn't smell great and the texture doesn't feel very appealing but it does the trick.
Thank you thats good to know , she has had one dose of Pro-Kalin and managed to get the antibiotic in , she wont eat though but will try again later and fingers crossed no more blood from the rear end for an hour or so.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2013, 01:24 PM
Lily gets it occasionally as does Kyiro. I buy the pro kolin online as its much cheaper and always keep a couple in the cupboard, then you can give it at the first sign of a tummy upset and hopefully ward off the worst and stop it developing into anything worse. Its brilliant stuff.

Greyhounds can be prone to sensitive tummies and I find mine won't eat until the prokolin gets to work and then I start them on very small meals of chicken and rice 4 times a day for 2 days and then start adding in their normal food.

The antibiotics I think you will have to place in the back of her throat, close her mouth, lift her head and stroke down her throat, if she still won't swallow then give a blow up her nose while doing the above. Not sure of the size of the antis you have but sometimes the big ones I cut in half as they seem to have a problem swallowing huge tablets.

Since August I have been feeding my two 3 times a day anyway and we havn't had a tummy upset and I stick rigidly to the same food as I know they tolerate it well, and so far no sign of an upset tum.

I hope Bella feels better soon.
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2013, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
Lily gets it occasionally as does Kyiro. I buy the pro kolin online as its much cheaper and always keep a couple in the cupboard, then you can give it at the first sign of a tummy upset and hopefully ward off the worst and stop it developing into anything worse. Its brilliant stuff.

Greyhounds can be prone to sensitive tummies and I find mine won't eat until the prokolin gets to work and then I start them on very small meals of chicken and rice 4 times a day for 2 days and then start adding in their normal food.

The antibiotics I think you will have to place in the back of her throat, close her mouth, lift her head and stroke down her throat, if she still won't swallow then give a blow up her nose while doing the above. Not sure of the size of the antis you have but sometimes the big ones I cut in half as they seem to have a problem swallowing huge tablets.

Since August I have been feeding my two 3 times a day anyway and we havn't had a tummy upset and I stick rigidly to the same food as I know they tolerate it well, and so far no sign of an upset tum.

I hope Bella feels better soon.
Thank you, thats really helpful info

I managed to get the antibiotic down and she is due more Pro-Kalin later , I will check the online price , the vet charged £16.29 for one.

Still dont understand the cause , there had been no change in food and Bella usually has a cast iron stomach much better than my lurcher. Tom has an upset tummy last week and then Bella started so could be a number of reasons I suppose.

Lots of TLC at the mo and she is happy snoozing on the sofa , Tom seems to have come out in sympathy and is quite quiet today.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2013, 02:11 PM
I pay just over £10 online I think from vet uk for pro kolin and delivery is normally by first class post within about 2 days of ordering.
In fact here is a copy of my email invoice from January as you can see i get my wormer from them too as its much cheaper.

Mine have always got tummy upsets for no apparent reason as well. Most greys I know do.

Thank you for placing an order with VetUK Ltd.

This email is to acknowledge receipt of your order. Your order number is 1077766.

This email is only an acknowledgement of receipt of your order. The details of your order are as follows.

Products
2 x Protexin Prokolin+ Antidiarrhoeal Probiotic Paste
Size 30ml Syringe
£21.20 1 x Drontal Plus XL for Dogs Worming Tablets £5.10 3 x Drontal Plus Flavoured Dog Worming Tablets £4.98
---------

Sub-Total: £31.28 Royal Mail "letter" (UK): £0.00 V.A.T. 20% (inclusive): £5.21 Total: £31.28
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2013, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
I pay just over £10 online I think from vet uk for pro kolin and delivery is normally by first class post within about 2 days of ordering.
In fact here is a copy of my email invoice from January as you can see i get my wormer from them too as its much cheaper.

Mine have always got tummy upsets for no apparent reason as well. Most greys I know do.

Thank you for placing an order with VetUK Ltd.

This email is to acknowledge receipt of your order. Your order number is 1077766.

This email is only an acknowledgement of receipt of your order. The details of your order are as follows.

Products
2 x Protexin Prokolin+ Antidiarrhoeal Probiotic Paste
Size 30ml Syringe
£21.20 1 x Drontal Plus XL for Dogs Worming Tablets £5.10 3 x Drontal Plus Flavoured Dog Worming Tablets £4.98
---------

Sub-Total: £31.28 Royal Mail "letter" (UK): £0.00 V.A.T. 20% (inclusive): £5.21 Total: £31.28
Thanks thats handy to know , she has now vomitted up the antibiotic and lots of yellow bile , vet reckons try the next dose and see what happens , just a bit worried she is vomitting now too but will keep a close eye on her , these doggies certainly give us a few grey hairs (pardon the pun !)
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2013, 05:49 PM
Poor Bella, hope she is feeling better soon

Our spaniel used to suffer terribly with colitis and often passed really bloody motions. Max also used to suffer with stomach upsets and has also passed blood. Very scary at the time but cleared up quickly with antibiotics.

Not sure what you are feeding Bella but some food manufactures change ingredients so even though you may not be feeding her anything different, there may be something in there now that is not agreeing with her, or could she just have snaffled something disgusting on a walk?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-02-2013, 05:54 PM
No experience sorry but give Bella a hug form me please and I hope she recovers soon.
Better give Tom one too don't want him getting jealous.
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2013, 06:04 PM
Thanks Majuka , will check the food bag for changes , although I am not convinced it is the food.

Thanks Lynn, hugs duly passed on and appreciated, time to try and get an antibiotic in now
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >