Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-02-2013, 11:46 AM

Will it harm her?

Pereg had half a tub of cottage cheese and an egg with her vegetables for her lunch, and as I was putting the rest of the cottage cheese away I noticed that there was some mould down the inside of the tub - not noticeable when I was spooning out the top half, even though the cheese was well within date and it did not smell "off".

By the time I saw the mould she had scoffed her lunch - will eating cottage cheese that could have had some mould in it harm her?
JulieSS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-02-2013, 12:07 PM
Most likely no. Dogs have a much stronger stomach than us. Worst case scenario she might get a looser than normal number 2 I'd believe!
I wouldn't worry about it at all .
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-02-2013, 12:08 PM
Personally I wouldn't worry - that's judging by what one of my dogs finds and eats - from all sorts of poo to rotting sheep or rabbit carcasses, bone and all!

And maybe the invisible mould on cottage cheese that's been in the fridge too long.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-02-2013, 12:10 PM
It'll be fine Malka, I often feed natural yogurt that has a crust on it and no ill effects, think of it as penicillin!!!
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2013, 01:24 PM
Hi Malka, I'm sure Pereg will be fine. If I think what one of my dog eats, a little mould on cottage cheese will be fine.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

02-02-2013, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the reassurance everyone! I will be taking the other half back to the macolet as it came in with Thursday's delivery.

I am glad that Pereg had it and no I, as I am desperately allergic to penicillin and its derivatives, so it would have been rather nasty had I eaten it!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2013, 03:37 PM
I doubt it will harm your dog but the usual recommendation is that if it is HARD cheese you can cut the mould off and still use it but if it is SOFT cheese you should discard it if mouldy as it can harbour bacteria.
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2013, 06:43 PM
It should not.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

02-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
I doubt it will harm your dog but the usual recommendation is that if it is HARD cheese you can cut the mould off and still use it but if it is SOFT cheese you should discard it if mouldy as it can harbour bacteria.
There was absolutely no sign of mould in the top half of the tub as I spooned it out - it was only when I went to put the tub back in the refrigerator that I noticed that there was a small amount of black mould on the inside of the tub - not mixed in the cheese.

Originally Posted by Darcy Boy View Post
It should not.
I really hope not as one of us with an upset tummy is bad enough so I would hate for Pereg to develop one as well.
manydogz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-02-2013, 08:14 PM
She should be o.k. I once caught a neighbor feeding my dog some moldy bread over the fence and it had no effect on the dog. However, I don't think the neighbor was ever the same again after the cops and I got done with her. She ended up with a record for trespassing and was told if she ever came near my dog again she would be arrested.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >