Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
popadaisy
New Member!
Female 

24-01-2013, 06:24 PM

Dog clippers

Hello I have the pleasure of owning 2 x 10 month old girl pups that are a cross between a beagle and a miniature poodle.
They need to have a trim and as the costs of having 2 of them trimmed on a regular basis will be costly, I thought I would trim them a few times myself in between proper groomers trim, as I'm not confident on trimming their claw nails.
I was wondering if there is actually any difference between the "human" hair clippers and the dog clippers, if so what would be the best ones to be a first purchase for a beginner?
Can any one help?
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2013, 07:14 PM
Costing of clippers varies.

Do you want corded or cordless clippers?
How much clipping are planning on doing?
How much are you willing to spend?
Then there are cost of blades...

You will have to make sure you keep blades well oiled when clipping, disinfected after use, and they will have to be sent off for re sharpening every so often.

Re: Nails, your local groomer or vet can show you how to trim nails. Your groomer would be the best person to advise of styling of your dogs and products/equipment to use, should you which to help maintain the dogs' coat in between full grooms.

You dogs should be fully brushed out and ideally washed and fully dried before clipping, as this will prolong the sharpness of the blades.
popadaisy
New Member!
Female 

24-01-2013, 07:46 PM
thought cordless would be better and clip them about once a month?
So is there a difference between clippers that we use and dog ones?
Chunky
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-01-2013, 08:44 PM
Yes a massive difference. Human hair clippers are not man enough for the job
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2013, 09:47 PM
Have you ever clipped a dog before? If not please go to your local groomer to show you how to clip your dog.

It is not as easy as it may first appear.
popadaisy
New Member!
Female 

27-01-2013, 08:25 AM
Surely this is a bit rude or off as you are technically cutting their income by doing the clipping instead of them?

I have now purchased a pair of Wahl dog clippers that are middle of the range so I shall be having a practice on them soon making sure they are all nicely combed out and shampooed first!!

So if all goes wrong at least I won't have spent out too much in the first place!! Fingers crossed
Jesss
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-01-2013, 10:05 AM
Personally i would research the cost of groomers, mine charge £17 to trim my collie x spaniel, bath, cut nails etc and charge £5 for the puppy- obviously yours will be more but its worth comparing a few, the place nearest to me quoted me £35-45 each!
popadaisy
New Member!
Female 

27-01-2013, 10:16 PM
Cost in our area is 25.00 each so for 2 of them it is a lot to spend out each time, even if they are puppies! Hence the challenge of having a go myself with the odd professional one done every so often.
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-01-2013, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by popadaisy View Post
Hello I have the pleasure of owning 2 x 10 month old girl pups that are a cross between a beagle and a miniature poodle.
They need to have a trim and as the costs of having 2 of them trimmed on a regular basis will be costly, I thought I would trim them a few times myself in between proper groomers trim, as I'm not confident on trimming their claw nails.
I was wondering if there is actually any difference between the "human" hair clippers and the dog clippers, if so what would be the best ones to be a first purchase for a beginner?
Can any one help?
Hey popadaisy and good morning

actually I do trim my dog on my own as well, as I have to
as it's not possible to get on her with a brush, nor a comb, because as soon as only one hair once does tweak her, she is running mad and gets on the brush or comb like a wild gone attack dog

so I just can cut off the knots from time to time
but that's working quite good, just have to be very carefully but there she keeps very calm
for that job, I just use a normal hair clippers for humans

just sometimes she really needs a complete body haircut, lets say twice a year
and I also do that by myself, as she wouldn't let get anyone else close to her than me

but the result is always TERRIBLE!
not because of the clippers but it's very difficult!
afterwards she always has loads of notches <-? not sure if that's the right translation? I mean no wounds but in her fur

so if that might be happens at you as well, don't get too upset about, you can learn it doing proper

maybe the first times you try it, you could hide your dogs of the public
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2013, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by popadaisy View Post
Surely this is a bit rude or off as you are technically cutting their income by doing the clipping instead of them?

I have now purchased a pair of Wahl dog clippers that are middle of the range so I shall be having a practice on them soon making sure they are all nicely combed out and shampooed first!!

So if all goes wrong at least I won't have spent out too much in the first place!! Fingers crossed
You'd be surprised at how many groomers (myself included) end up grooming dogs which have been done by the owner previously, who don't really know quite what they are doing when it comes to clipping/scissoring.

Most groomers I know, would be happy to help and share their knowledge.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >