Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-01-2013, 08:24 AM

Big bag of bones!

I have just received my raw food from daf and this time I also ordered a big bag of bones as I struggle to get them from anywhere else. This bag of bones were only £5 and it's huge with an assortment of different bones.

My question is as my freezer is full I have had to put them in my paper recycling bin outside. I know they will be ok for a few days but just wondered how long they would be ok for. They have a bit of meat on them but not much just mostly bone. It seems a shame if I have to throw some away.
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-01-2013, 08:13 AM
Feeling a little unloved as no one has answered my question, so thought id try again. Has any raw feeders kept recreational bones outside. If so how long for and what in. I don't want to keep them longer than I should in case it makes them poorly.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2013, 08:35 AM
Well its like a freezer out there at the moment, so they should be ok till the weather gets milder at least. Feed those first. Id keep them in a bag, no "insulation" and outside if possible. (not in a shed etc..) Coldest and effectively frozen.
zoeshuman
New Member!
Female 

02-02-2013, 03:23 PM
hiya - I'm new to the boards and I came here looking for somewhere to order bones and carcasses - could you let me know more about "daf"?

I just moved and my last butcher had plenty of bones and carcasses for next to nothing or free but my new town - very disappointed - the butcher says he doesn't have carcasses because he doesn't take the meat off the chickens there he buys it in already done !?!?!??!?!

My dog hasn't had a decent bone in weeks!!!!! Anyone with info would be appreciated!\
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-02-2013, 04:04 PM
Daf is short for Durham animal feeds. If you google it You will get on their website with full list of their foods. The bag of bones I got for £5 is fantastic but was so huge. They have really enjoyed the bones which was various different ones including ribs. Mine love them.

I buy chicken carcasses and various mincemeats from them as well but you need to spend £50 for free delivery and delivery is once a month. Think it's about £5 if spending under but I could be wrong.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2013, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by kodimeg View Post
Feeling a little unloved as no one has answered my question, so thought id try again. Has any raw feeders kept recreational bones outside. If so how long for and what in. I don't want to keep them longer than I should in case it makes them poorly.
Sorry Kodi, only just spotted your thread!

The weather is pretty cold out there - they should be OK for a day or two if out of the sun. I have indeed kept bones outside, and meat too, when we went away for christmas one year for 7 days and there was no freezer. We just left everything outside the back door in one of those foam chill boxes, and it kept frozen and was fine just as if it were in a freezer.

Just remember that dogs eat all sorts of rotten, putrifying stuff with no ill effects. Think of those bones that they bury in the garden, and then dig up months later to devour! Their stomach acid is far stronger than our's, and they can cope with far higher levels of bacteria than we can - as long as the food is raw.
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-02-2013, 04:15 PM
Thanks for that. I left them outside for about 9 days in total. The rest are in the freezer now as now have room. They have both had one every day up to now and have loved them. They are going to be upset when I run out as they will have to wait for my next order.

Really must invest in a separate freezer for them but am hoping to move so will wait for now.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-02-2013, 04:26 PM
Yeah I put mine outside in buckets with a plastic lid on, as long as they are frozen when they go in they stay in a sort of suspended state thawing slowly, and we have more cold weather on the way