Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2013, 03:49 PM

Hard lump on face

My female lurcher has a hard lump on her face. Unmoveable, no pain, no redness in mouth or eye, no discharge from eye/nose/mouth. No abnormalities in skin.

She hasn't taken any knocks to the area that we are aware of. As it isn't bothering her I plan to give it a week to see how she goes before taking to the vet. If it gets worse or she's in pain we will go before then.

Any thoughts on what it might be? Has anyone's dog experianced similar?
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2013, 04:46 PM
I'm sorry about your poor dog. My last little dog had a hard lump that suddenly appeared in the same place. She too didn't appear unwell or give her any apparent pain but on the visit to the vet, they discovered it was a tooth abscess. I remember being told that it was quite common. They drained it, put her on abs and it never reappeared and amazingly she had no more problems with that tooth. I had been warned that it could reappear and in which case the tooth would have to be removed.

However, I would strongly advise you to get it checked out. I think dogs also have a sinus in that area.

Good luck and keep us informed.
redowl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-01-2013, 06:56 PM
Personally, I would go to the Vets sooner than a week with something like that.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2013, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
I'm sorry about your poor dog. My last little dog had a hard lump that suddenly appeared in the same place. She too didn't appear unwell or give her any apparent pain but on the visit to the vet, they discovered it was a tooth abscess. I remember being told that it was quite common. They drained it, put her on abs and it never reappeared and amazingly she had no more problems with that tooth. I had been warned that it could reappear and in which case the tooth would have to be removed.

However, I would strongly advise you to get it checked out. I think dogs also have a sinus in that area.

Good luck and keep us informed.
Thanks. A tooth root abcess did cross my mind, though I have no experiance of these.

Originally Posted by redowl View Post
Personally, I would go to the Vets sooner than a week with something like that.
Why?
I've said I would take her sooner if she's in pain or it's getting bigger. If neither of those happen what would be the issue of waiting a week for her to be seen? It may go down or disappear in that time.
redowl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-01-2013, 02:14 PM

Why?
I've said I would take her sooner if she's in pain or it's getting bigger. If neither of those happen what would be the issue of waiting a week for her to be seen? It may go down or disappear in that time.
Because not all things that need urgent treatment are painful and for the sake of a Vet visit I would prefer to get it checked out but that is my personal choice. I'm not saying you are wrong to leave it for a week if you are happy with that.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2013, 04:21 PM
Swelling increased overnight, though she's still eating, drinking, chewing on both sides and happy in herself. Rang vets to arrange for her to be seen as the swelling had got worse.

They are happy to leave her till tomorrow morning and see her then, if she seems in pain, stops eating or drinking etc we are to bring her in before then. She's just been out for a walk and now happily lying chewing on one of the antlers again.

So it's off to the vets first thing in the morning.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2013, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by redowl View Post
Because not all things that need urgent treatment are painful and for the sake of a Vet visit I would prefer to get it checked out but that is my personal choice. I'm not saying you are wrong to leave it for a week if you are happy with that.
Perhaps I should have explained that our vets isn't open on a Saturday evening or all day Sunday. The out of hours vet is for emergancies, and as she was not in pain, content in herself, eating and drinking well, I did not see the need to call the out of hours vet for a visit.

As I just posted, the swelling did increase over night, but going on my description over the phone, the vet feels that there is no increased risk in leaving having a look at her till tomorrow mornings clinic, as opposed to a call out today.
susannah92
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-01-2013, 09:28 PM
Sorry to hear that the swelling increased overnight. Do let us know how you get on at the vets tomorrow. Its always such a worry when there is anything wrong with them isnt it?
Hope she'll be feeling a lot better soon.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2013, 11:11 PM
Good luck at the vet tomorrow, and do let us know how things go. At least she is in no obvious pain, and hopefully whatever it is can be treated without her even knowing that there was anything wrong
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2013, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the update Evie and I'm sorry the swelling has got worse. Isn't it always the way that if anything is going to be wrong with our dogs, invariably its at a weekend. The best of luck tomorrow at the vets and hopefully the lump will be something that can be treated and forgotten about.

Let us know how you get on.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >