Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2012, 11:41 PM

Curry combs

When I think of a curry comb, it is a rubber one for horses and I have one of those for the dogs.

I saw a 'curry comb' though that doesn't look like a curry comb... it looks more like a rake. It is for the undercoat... now, how do I know that it is pulling out the dead hair and not the new stuff?... A bit confused!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2012, 01:29 AM
BY far the best grooming tool ever invented is the ZOOM Groom - outshines everything else
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2012, 06:29 AM
I've always used a rake, but I have double coated dogs so I need to when they're shedding. I also have a thick rubbery pink one, with great big nodules on it, much bigger than you would find on a curry combe, so that's probably what VB is on about there, but I can't remember the name of it. It's supposed to get everything out from underneath and it massages them, but Zena doesn't like it much, she much prefers the rake and my Toni and Guy hairbrush (but then she is a bit of a diva is Zena lol!)
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2012, 07:33 AM
Yeah, I have a zoom groom... my problem is that Arrow loves to play with it! I think its because of the material, he doesn't do it with any other brush...

It's for Arrow I was going to use the rake for because, being a BC, he has a double coat.
Hanlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-10-2012, 10:03 AM
I got a rake for Whisper recently and it's brilliant - gets all the dead coat out. Whisper likes it (makes her 'purring' noise lol) - she hates the Furminator so this is a good alternative. That and the Yento boar bristle and nylon brush for finishing her coat have made a huge difference to grooming Whizzy!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2012, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by Hanlou View Post
I got a rake for Whisper recently and it's brilliant - gets all the dead coat out. Whisper likes it (makes her 'purring' noise lol) - she hates the Furminator so this is a good alternative. That and the Yento boar bristle and nylon brush for finishing her coat have made a huge difference to grooming Whizzy!
How can you tell if it is dead fur or new fur? I wanted to get a furminator, but I heard that it can rip the dogs fur out and so I want to make sure this rake thing doesn't do that too...
Hanlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-10-2012, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
How can you tell if it is dead fur or new fur? I wanted to get a furminator, but I heard that it can rip the dogs fur out and so I want to make sure this rake thing doesn't do that too...
Dead fur will come out easily and is usually a 'grey' colour.

New fur shouldn't come out so don't worry about pulling it out - if it comes out easily it's because it was ready to come out. I got the Furminator thinking they were brilliant but I never use it now. Whisper always gets anxious and starts looking round at me and gets upset when I use it - which makes me think it must hurt - which puts me off! Besides which I was never convinced it wasn't damaging her top coat.

The rake doesn't really touch the top coat as it goes beneath it to the undercoat. Whisper croons when I do it so I always assume it must be making her feel nice to have all that dead fur taken away!

The rake I have is only a basic one from (( HUB International )) - I have the purple one with rotating teeth.

and also the Yento Pure Bristle with Nylon Hairbrush Large Size (606) from the (( Hair Brush )) section from the same site. I got a comb and a pin brush too which all help! But the rake is definitely my favourite tool - and the Yento brush always seems to add a lovely shine to Whisper's coat.

If you only invested in two grooming tools I'd recommend these two - and that's for a Rough Collie lol. xx
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2012, 11:01 AM
I use an 'undercoat rake' for my two dogs (who are double coated) and it is excellent. It just removes the dead undercoat which is more like a fluff. It won't pull out growing hair as it has no sharp bits on the rake to 'cut' hair, the actual rake spikes are completely blunt.

Once I've gone over my dogs with the rake I can then use a comb or slicker brush on their coats with ease - a groomer recommended the rake to me and I ordered it from her wholesaler contact, but they are available from Pets@Home.
Bethy-boo91
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-01-2013, 08:08 PM
The zoom groom is very good like everybody was saying we used it at the dog groomers I worked at, and a lot of customers ended up purchasing one too and got on really well
starshine
New Member!
Female 

04-02-2013, 04:02 PM
i got the furminator for mine and i think it is great but you do have to be careful and get the true one as there is one that looks like a furminator but isnt one as it has a blade in i have seen these being sold on shows as the furminator as i said before the real one does not damage the coat and does not have a blade
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >