Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2012, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
Some wormers such as advocate and milbemax can cause reactions in collie types. It's the mdr1 gene that causes it and is unlikely that his parents are both tested (its not a typical bc health test)but worth asking I guess.

Anyway, I very much doubt it's anything to do with a reaction to the wormer, it probably just upset his tummy a little (like most wormers)and is taking a while to recover.
Thanks

I had read about milbemax but not advocate... I know his parents were DNA tested but nothing was mentioned about MDR1...

His poo this morning was completely normal so hopefully that is him better.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2012, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
He was vaccinated on Monday, and I used the advocate on Wednesday. Could the advocate cause diarrhoea like this?

The vet didn't ask anything like that... He isn't DNA tested, but his parents are. How can I find out if he is normal? Would that just be a case of asking the breeding?

Why is it only herding breeds that need to be normal?

I don't know what they have used on Jake either so will need to watch for him too (only one I can remember is Stronghold from when they thought his allergies were a mite).

His DNA results would be on his Kennel Club certificate if he is KC registered. Otherwise the breeder should have given you copies of the results

Breeds affected:

Australian Shepherd
Australian Shepherd
Border Collie
Collie
English Shepherd
German Shepherd
Herding Breed Cross
Long-haired Whippet
McNab
Mixed Breed
Old English Sheepdog