Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MPickhouse
New Member!
Female 

20-05-2012, 03:27 AM

Dog osteoporosis

I need some advice from anyone who has had this problem. My 6 year old german shepherd ripped her tibia and went in for surgery to put a plate on the bone for the repair. During surgery they found she has osteo. Came home and after 4 days she was doing great. On day 5 I noticed she got worse. She couldn't walk again. I brought her back to the vet and he took and exray. The bone she had surgery on broke again in 2 places and there is nothing he can do because she has osteo and her bones are too soft, so he just put a hard cast on it to see how it would heal. In addition the tibia on her other leg broke and we can't do surgery because of the osteo. She is in pain and won't eat or take her pain meds. Vet doesn't know what what else to do but wait and see what happens with the leg in the case before deciding what to do for the other leg. I am considering putting her down. I am heartbroken. HELP
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2012, 07:39 AM
There is nothing that can be done to make new bone or increase its density.

Osteoporosis in dogs is rare and usually a side effect of something else, it was something touched on by Christine Zink in her seminar.

I am afraid you may have to accept the dreadful fact that having her PTS may be the kindest thing for her.

Remember she has has a wonderful life with you even if it was shorter than expected.

So sorry
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2012, 08:20 AM
I cant offer any advise but i just wanted to say how sorry i feel for you. Hope you manage to come to a solution
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2012, 08:32 AM
So sorry to read this
I am sure you know her best and will know what to do in this sad situation.

All the best X
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2012, 09:18 AM
Oh my goodness, you must be totally distraught. I am so sorry to read about your GSD and the problems with osteo.

I have been diagnosed with this and it's scary to think that in the worse cases all you need to do is to move, twist or even step off the pavement, and you can break a bone (Thankfully my diagnosis at just 50 is quite an early one).

I would tend to agree with SmokeyB, it might be kindest for her to be put to sleep (with you there if you can manage that) as it must be incredibly hard for a dog breaking bones like that.

Kind wishes,

Wys
x
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2012, 10:52 AM
I am so sorry to read this about your dog. The fact that she has a break in the other leg now makes me think it would be kinder to end her pain. A shorter good life is far better than a prolonged painful life. My thoughts are with you.
lablover21
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-05-2012, 11:13 AM
My heart goes out to you, shes so young.
All the best.