View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lulusmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Glad Bentleys' problem is not too severe. The change of food and what to feed probably seems the biggest obstacle at the moment and as you will see there are many different foods that are reccommended. I think its just trial and error but dont do as I did and tried so many that I didn't give each one enough time. Decide on one and stick to it for sometime unless it obviously upsets Bentley. I think I changed dog food so many times that the pet shop must have been rubbing its hands together when they saw me coming (the local dog rescue was grateful for the food I didn't use) I also used Dermacton from www.aromesse.com on Rolys 'bad' skin and it recovered very quickly with new hair growing back very quickly. Good Luck.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by BentleyBoo View Post
Yes I think i will go back to the James wellbeloved for a little while, it cant hurt to try... can just buy the smaller 2kg bags just for him. I would try Burns but I know for sure I can get JWB from the pet shop down the road so it's handy if i ever forget to order online.

I'm v careful with what treats he has aswell.. just fish4dogs jerky, JWB biscuits and bits of cooked chicken really.

I will stop the fish oil capsules for now. Already wash his bed in ecover sensitive non-bio stuff and just use a steam mop on the floor... no flash or fabreeze on anything!

I will take some pictures for you

Thank you ever so much for your help, you have been really great.

Well done you, you sound like you're doing everything you can for your beautiful boy. He's a lucky lad.

Probably a good idea to stop the fish oil capsules while he's on the stuff the vet gave you for him.

Can't wait for the pictures! If you hunt through the picture threads, you'll find some of Molly too if you'd like to see her.

Keep us posted on your boy.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 11:26 AM
Have a nosey here too, this is meant to be quite good. Worth a look at and read over anyway.

http://www.quistel.com/
Lulusmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2012, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Have a nosey here too, this is meant to be quite good. Worth a look at and read over anyway.

http://www.quistel.com/
I think I may order some of the shampoo for my cockers who are bathed very often as they are constantly ditch diving in the local woods and some of what is in their coats is pretty disgusting. May very report back. Sounds like it may be good for Bentley.
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 01:38 PM
Glad to hear Bentley doesn't have anything too alarming.

Raw is not hypoallergenic, and will only help in that regard if your dog is allergic to an ingredient in a particular commercial diet, that is absent in the raw diet you feed.

Pretty much anything in the diet (disregarding other environmental allergens which won't be affected much by dietary change anyway) can be an allergen to an individual that is sensitive to it.

That can include any component of a raw diet be it chicken, turkey, duck, beef, rabbit, potatoes, rice, etc, etc.

Some dogs are allergic or intolerant of grains, but very many do very well on prepared grains (cooked, ground, etc to break down cellullar walls) as part of their diet and find them a good food source.

Even "hypoallergenic" diets may not be so for individual dogs.

They generally work on using novel protein and carbohydrates sources, as allergies and intolerances require prior exposure for the body to "learn" to react to them, and/or a much smaller, hydrolysed, molecule size, also to aim to reduce reactivity.

The viacutan will be providing essential fatty acids and oils to help his skin so further additions may be unnecessary.
BentleyBoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-05-2012, 08:13 PM
Hi i just thought I'd do a little update on this...

This is Bentleys skin now, I think there is a big improvement. Compared to the first pics I posted at the start of this thread what do u think???

He is still having Viacutan tablets that the vet gave us and i am putting Fuciderm on about every 3 days.. just a very thin smear, and washing his groin area in Maleseb once a week. I still have loads of fuciderm and maleseb left and still about a month and a bits worth of Viacutan tablets but when these run out do I will get some more online... I know I need a prescription for the fuciderm and malesb but what about the Viacutan tablets???

and heres a little piccy of Bentley... just because he is absolutely scrummy and I think he looks so puppy like in this pic!

Thank you again to everyone who helped us with this thread!!!
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-05-2012, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the update.

Glad to hear he is doing well and his skin certainly looks very much better now, pinker, and cleaner and no longer looking bruised (which can happen if they keep licking or nibbling at an area).
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2012, 09:56 PM
His skin looks so much better - excellent.
He is such a sweet looking little thing (I guess I should say handsome ).
I hope he carries on improving day by day.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2012, 10:23 PM
My staffie Coco has chronic skin allergies and will probably always have baldy patches now as she used to be so bad.. She's a lot better now but still has bald patches and her skin went like this from lying in the sun even though I use sun block.
BentleyBoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Thank you for your replies...it's only when I compare him now to the pics I first posted that I realise how much better he is now.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >