Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-08-2011, 06:21 PM

Flyball?

Teg had a go at flyball yesterday at a fun dog show and thought it was great. He was very happy to race to the box, take the ball from the woman (held just above the box) and zoom back to me.
The woman though he could be very good, he can be pretty quick. The reason I haven't tried flyball with him is I don't know if the noise and excitement would make him too manic.

When we started agility he would go bonkers and wanted to get at the dog running (would lunge, bark and sometimes try and nip), I now have him focused enough so he wouldn't notice a dog running alongside while he is working at agility.

My main worry is the cross over, the dogs are so close together, I don't know if he would nip as they went past.

Has anyone had a dog like this and managed to train past it?
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2011, 06:24 PM
A DA dog runs in our team without issues. Shes placed right in the middle but doesnt jump on the other dogs because she is so focused.... besides, they cant nip as they go past as they have a ball in their mouth.

If he can be ball focused, than a team will show you how to manage any fears or problems that arise.
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-08-2011, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by TeflonsShadow View Post
A DA dog runs in our team without issues. Shes placed right in the middle but doesnt jump on the other dogs because she is so focused.... besides, they cant nip as they go past as they have a ball in their mouth.

If he can be ball focused, than a team will show you how to manage any fears or problems that arise.
But they have to pass a dog on the way to fetch a ball, that would be when I imagine he would nip, once a ball was in his mouth he shouldn't drop it unless a dog had a go at him....then he'd want to hide!

Nice to know it does work for the dog on your team.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2011, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by Tegs_mum View Post
But they have to pass a dog on the way to fetch a ball, that would be when I imagine he would nip, once a ball was in his mouth he shouldn't drop it unless a dog had a go at him....then he'd want to hide!

Nice to know it does work for the dog on your team.
Often they are too busy looking where they are going. Why not speak to your local flyball team? Your dog could always be run as the first dog, thus only passing one dog and he'll have a ball in his mouth?
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-08-2011, 06:43 PM
Thanks, I don't know any flyball teams locally, is the best place to look on the BFA website?
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2011, 06:54 PM
I think he should have a go Did you get the name of the group at the have a go? Maybe they can give you advice?
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-08-2011, 07:44 PM
Leanne is the hucknall one where you went? I know you said it wasn't for Jessie but reading your previous posts about it you didn't seem that impressed?
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2011, 07:49 PM
Yes, it appears it's the same one! Didnt realise that. They have changed their website since the last time I looked.
WarFlyball
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-08-2011, 08:32 AM
How about Notts Superdogs? From the name they may be fairly local and are a good team... Not got time to find a website I'm afraid but sure they'll have one
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >