Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2009, 04:50 PM

What could cause these spasms/pains?

Just wanted to ask if anyone would know why I keep getting really bad muscle spasms in my calves? I sometimes wake up at night and they cramp and spasm causing such agony I am in tears, I have been having them awhile now... but now they are coming during the day, happened today when I jogged across the road, put my foot down and wham... agony again.
Now I am not the slimmest of people so it could be that I suppose, but could it be linked to anything else?
Thanks
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2009, 04:54 PM
Could it be sciatica or something?
Sounds horrible - hope you get to the bottom of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sciatica
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2009, 05:05 PM
Do you get plenty of calcium, Claire? Lack of calcium usually causes cramps - and very nasty they are too.....

Hugs chick xxx
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Are you on any medication? I was on an oestrogen only form of HRT a while back for PMS & used to get cramp & spasms in the same place in my calfs - got so bad I decided to come off them & stickwith the PMS.

Only other time I've had leg cramps is when I was pregnant - you're not are you
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2009, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
Could it be sciatica or something?
Sounds horrible - hope you get to the bottom of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sciatica
Thanks for that link, I have a mis-aligned spine and have the occassional disc 'bulge' so that can press against nerves, mmm
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Do you get plenty of calcium, Claire? Lack of calcium usually causes cramps - and very nasty they are too.....

Hugs chick xxx
Thanks Vicki, I love cheese (which is both why I am tubby and can't be a vegan!!) and drink milk, but will look into that too!!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2009, 05:09 PM
If it's in both calves it sounds like cramp.
Are you drinking enough? Dehydration can cause cramp.
Quinine will help cure it. I found that by just having a drink of Tonic water (it contains Quinine) before bed helped to cure mine.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2009, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
Are you on any medication? I was on an oestrogen only form of HRT a while back for PMS & used to get cramp & spasms in the same place in my calfs - got so bad I decided to come off them & stickwith the PMS.

Only other time I've had leg cramps is when I was pregnant - you're not are you
No definately not... But thanks for the advise!!
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
If it's in both calves it sounds like cramp.
Are you drinking enough? Dehydration can cause cramp.
Quinine will help cure it. I found that by just having a drink of Tonic water (it contains Quinine) before bed helped to cure mine.
Thanks, I did wonder about if I drank enough, I get it in one leg at a time, I mean it affects both but not at the same time...
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2009, 05:15 PM
It would be worth trying the Tonic water. Good luck
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Tonic water is good and cut down on your salt intake, too much salt in your food can cause cramps too! good luck xx
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2009, 07:41 PM
This sounds similar, though not identical with what my OH has - the doctor called it restless leg syndrome. definitely the pain when you are in bed and then during the day -but with him, usually when he was moving it was ok, its when he is still for awhile that the pain comes on.

Restless leg syndrome is apparently when for some reason your brain keeps sending signals to your nerve endings so that they spasm/hurt.

OH has medication from the doctors - apparently it is predominatly for epiletic suffers, but it has down the trick for him.

It sounds like you are in a lot of pain/discomfort and i think you should go to the doctors. Fingers crossed they can work out what it is and that it is easy to sort out.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >