Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Marley.Lab
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-08-2009, 07:32 PM

Why can't he behave in the living room?

Our lab puppy is 14 weeks and although he can behave well in the dining room and kitchen, when he comes in the living room he can't behave himself and starts biting, growling, barking, jumping up on furniture, running around at the rate of knots.

When in the kitchen and dining room he is fine, he will jump up at people though.

Any ideas?
Thanks
loufoxyloxy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-08-2009, 07:51 PM
hi we have the same problem, with ruby, when in the living room she gets on the sofa so we make her get off, while saying off to her, or she'll bite us, the other dog, the furniture, the door, the wall, anything she can really lol
we give her a toy, which she then teases the other dog with till he takes it from her so she cant get it back , so at the moment we are trying putting her out of the room for a minute when she misbehaves,
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2009, 08:11 PM
What - like playing, do you mean? All my dogs play - all over the house - but usually where I am. No idea why. Maybe they want me to play as well.
I suggest you have a bit of a play with your puppy then train him to settle.
The best thing to do if a dog jumps at you is not to react - turn away if you like. If they don`t gain a reaction, they won`t continue with it.
It does sound like he just wants to let some steam off. Have you tried `finding` games.? Hide a toy or biscuit and let him search for it. This game tires dogs out really well.
Marley.Lab
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-08-2009, 08:17 PM
He seems to be rather aggressive with it. He really growls. We've tried giving him his toys (although he tries to run off with the kids toys instead).
When he does do something right we praise him and we do use treats (although he often runs off with them as he thinks you are going to take them off him again).

I've just been in the kitchen to find him chewing through the hoover wire!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2009, 08:30 PM
I think you have to treat a pup much as you would a toddler. Assume that if they can get into anything, they will. Distracting him with his own toys works. And maybe a play-pen or crate for when you can`t supervise him? It sounds like he`s a lively boy.
Marley.Lab
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-08-2009, 08:34 PM
He is lively bless him, he plays lovely out in the garden. He is mainly gentle around our 10 month old son aswell.

We have a dog trainer coming round on Tuesday to go through the issues we have with him, like biting, jumping up, running off with things, not being able to behave in the living room etc so hopefully we will see an improvement over the next few weeks/ months.

Thanks for all the replies x
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2009, 08:38 PM
good advice given. my jrt is 4 months now and i remember those manic days very clearly! exercise is the easiest way of calming a puppy. whether it's through play or walks. before lily could go out i would take her in the garden and play chase and throw toys for her, really high energy play when she was having her mad moments.

and i still assume that if i can't see lily, she could be up to something. i have put a little bell on her collar which gives me some idea of where she is. but claire is right, puppies are just like toddlers, you need eyes in the back of your head!
Marley.Lab
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Thanks, I was thinking of making his walks longer over time - he tends to give up after 15 minutes at the moment. He will often sit at the side of the road and refuse to move
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by Marley.Lab View Post
Thanks, I was thinking of making his walks longer over time - he tends to give up after 15 minutes at the moment. He will often sit at the side of the road and refuse to move
really? maybe he should have a word with lily, she's been having hour plus walks since she was 14 weeks! it has made the world of difference to her though. i walk her for an hour in the morning and between 1 to 2 hours in the evening. she needs it and it makes her a happy, sleepy puppy, which is good for both of us!
Marley.Lab
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-08-2009, 08:50 PM
I know it'[s madness, I was looking forward to long walks, bought new trainers and everything but he just sits and won't move. I'm going to make him go longer though and see if that helps.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >