register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Is CM improving as a TV trainer & offering more apt advice
Yes 45 52.33%
No 41 47.67%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Closed Thread
Page 59 of 84 « First < 9 49 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 69 > Last »
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2009, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by tinkladyv View Post
What is it then?
It is, from what you described, your dog appeasing the other dog, CM would say it is submitting..it is saying 'ok you are bigger than me/more mature than me/scarier than me...I am small and innocent, please don't hurt me' or something similar. It isn't an alpha roll....an alpha roll is done to a dog.
Originally Posted by tinkladyv View Post
No, i work with mums and dads who smack and dont smack children. There are fors and against. I would give them all the information and it would be for them to make their own mind up.
A heated discussion is not a problem, but i feel targetted and distressed. Someone who equally does not agree with me has posted lots with me, but has had no aggression and actually spelt that out to me. I have tried to do the same too and move forward in a polite manner, but its continued.
So for my own well being i shall leave, take on board the advise and look into things some more.
If someone can help me close the account that is? Please
No hard feelings
Gemma
Gemma...I think it would be a shame if you left.
CM threads get terribly heated...the pro CMers feel picked on I think as us anti CMers throw words like 'hit/kick/string up/choke' around so everyone gets defensive. Try not to worry about it, it isn't personal...just one of those things.

Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Its easy though just Unsubscribe from this thread & add Becky to your Ignore list.

Ive said some pretty awful things on Dogesy, that i have meant with all my heart but shpould have probaley stayed in my head. But at the end of the Day it is only My opinion & im not the dog police.

If you are happy with your methods then thats up to you. The thing is if you dont what opinions on your opinions then not to post them!!!!!

CM is too me perfectly hopeless & a joke, no one wins but himself.IMO hes full of his own self esteem & bluster & is at best Ignorant & at worse cruel. Im not saying his "pro" peeps are, & why would my (someone who dosent know you) op matter to anyone on here anyway if i hadnt seen them with their dogs? I dont think all pro CMers are cruel. But i hope if one of my posts just makes them "think" more about it then im happy, then if they still think , "yes, i DO still agree with it" then fair dues!!!!!!

We are all on here to learn & hopefully have a few laughs along the way. There is alot of Experince Knowleadge & talent on here.

Stay on Dogsey, it always blows over!!!!!!
It does indeed.
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Yes, that is an appeasement gesture - your collie is happily offering that to other dogs. He's offering it, he's not being made to take it.

The two are very different!

Dogs will often "offer" it

Wys
x
Oops...I was multiquoting and didn't spot this!!!
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Yes, she's an interesting lady and perhaps more "natural" which I think is what you tend to prefer?

She does have a website, (Ramble, is the website good do you think compared to the book? it's a while since I've read the book!)

http://www.canis.no/rugaas/

Wys
x
Yes I think Gemma would like Turid!
The website is good...but I think the photos in the book really help you to understand what she means. The website is certainly worth a look and an excellent starting point.

Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
"Mmmmmmmm, I did wonder why you suddenly went very quiet. I thought it was more to do with your insistence that you can stop your dog mounting an in season female with one word, when it became clear , and people picked up on it, you needed to repeat that word over and over again "

Can't be bothered to wade back to whatever point I need to go back to ... just to say we took Tai out on a bike ride along the canal towpath yesterday. We met several dogs, one who just happened to be heavily in season.

I picked up on what was about to happen, yelled at hubby to pedal faster, and whizzed past Tai, calling out "Tai Tai come".

Guess what happened Jackbox !!
Bet you can't

And it took THREE words !! My my how truly dreadful. To stop an entire male mounting a bitch who was heavily in season (we found out later).

I really am such an irresponsible owner, having such a poor lack of control over my dog that it took THREE words to stop an accidental mating.
Oh my......I was worried for a moment!

Had your training been that spot on though Gnasher, after you having to repeatedly tell him to stop mounting another bitch in season (you do seem to come across a lot of them)...then he wouldn't even have attempted to mount this one surely??
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2009, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
This is what i dont get.......

1. Anti CMers are only interested in dogs welfare, so if the Pro Cmers say they dont Roll, Kick, "bite" their dogs , Anti Cmers really have no issue with them

2. Pro CMers seem to think Anti CMers are implying they are dog Abusers because the Like CM. That is not the case (see above note 1)

Its (the two sides) Confused & Completly at X purposes.

We dont know people really so can "only" believe what they say, so if someone says they arent horrible to their dog, Pro or Anti CM i believe them.

However i do believe CM can be at times completly EVIL to dogs, so if you would do 100% of what he does in every circumstance then i would put you in his catorgory. But not everyone would feel that way, would probaley have a 50 /50 spilt.

If you like CM, what does a anti CMers opinion matter to you anyway?
It matters Mish if someone describes me ... even indirectly ... of being cruel !!

It won't make me delete my access to Dogsey such that I will never come on here again (what a shame, some might say ! ), but it will spur me into action to defend myself.

As I have said a gazillion times before, I am entitled to believe that on the whole CM is a good egg ... NO-ONE is entitled to describe me as a dog abuser, as being cruel, stringing up my dog, kicking him or any other accusation ... and I will leap to the defence of anyone whose reputation is being torn apart on here for no better reason than they use CM's methods.

I am well renowned in our village and beyond for being completely crazy about dogs, followed closely by horses. If ANYONE I know ever saw me being cruel to ANY animal, but certainly a dog or horse, they would have my full permission, and that of my OH, to shoot me. I frequently have the mickey taken out of me at our parish council meetings because I am always the "green old hippy standing up for the trees and the wildlife in general". To be accused of animal cruelty does hurt, I would be a liar if I said otherwise. But I am no victim, so I will bite back!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2009, 08:35 PM
Gnasher
Noone has said ever that you are cruel to your dog
You have said many times that you dont actually use the CM methods that I find cruel - so if you dont use them why do you assume you are being called cruel??
I think alpha rolling, flooding, kicking, hitting, stringing up, ear pinches to name a few are cruel training methods
If anyone says they use these methods then yes I think they are being cruel

Why is it OK to say that someone is being a bully but not OK to say a TV celeb is cruel?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Gnasher
Noone has said ever that you are cruel to your dog
You have said many times that you dont actually use the CM methods that I find cruel - so if you dont use them why do you assume you are being called cruel??
I think alpha rolling, flooding, kicking, hitting, stringing up, ear pinches to name a few are cruel training methods
If anyone says they use these methods then yes I think they are being cruel

Why is it OK to say that someone is being a bully but not OK to say a TV celeb is cruel?
Purely because I do not agree that he "strings up" dogs, floods them, kicks them, hits them, pinches them or rolls them. Regarding the latter, he "pins" ... rolling implies some sort of violent rolling action over and over, which I sincerely hope he would never do !

CM is a celebrity, so as such to a certain extent he must put up with dissenters accusing him of all sorts. As long as remarks made against him are not libellous, as far as I am concerned, he can laugh his way to the bank and shrug off the insults as just being publicity! I don't believe he is cruel, you do, that's fine, you can say so, this is your opinion to which you are entitled. However, if by implication you accuse ME of being cruel, because I like CM's methods and use most of them on Tai, or accuse Gemma or CC of being cruel, abusive towards animals, etc. etc., because they use Cesar's methods, then I don't think that is right because we are entitled to OUR opinions too. I personally dislike intensely the use of choke chains and other similar gadgets, I think they are cruel, but I would never accuse my friend of being cruel because she uses one on her dog. I would say I personally don't like choke chains, here, look, why don't you try this method of walking him on a loose lead, nice and relaxed, controlling him with your positive energy and a few gentle tssts, which is what I do with Tai - who pulled like an express train when we first got him. The first thing I did was to throw away his choke chain!

A rather muddled post, but I am very tired after a long day and am about to say nite nite I think !
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2009, 09:10 PM
Ramble: you said:

Had your training been that spot on though Gnasher, after you having to repeatedly tell him to stop mounting another bitch in season (you do seem to come across a lot of them)...then he wouldn't even have attempted to mount this one surely??

Tai is a bit of a babe magnet - we call him the Brad Pitt of the dog world !! He is pursued relentlessly by shameless tarts, who interfere with him and make him all unfrocked!

Joking apart, he is very appealing to the opposite sex, and if I had a pound for every owner who has said to me "ooo, my bitch doesn't normally tolerate males sniffing round her", I would be a wealthy woman! He has girlfriends on every corner, several at each pub that we visit, and regulars who we meet along the towpaths or in the various woods around here.

To criticise my training here is a bit rich !! How many entire males do YOU know, Ramble, who will ignore a bitch on heat ... Tai is only a wolf, not an automaton! However good, or not, I am as a trainer, he is never going to totally ignore a female in full season. I think it is amazing quite frankly that just 3 words "Tai Tai come" and an increase in my bike speed was enough to call him off this bitch. I would have expected at the very least to have to stop and grab him, but no, he came. Hal would have totally ignored me, mounted her and I would have had to squirt him with the water bottle to dampen his ardour, at the very least ! And he would have growled at me as I pulled him off her. I am taking no credit for Tai, he is a very good dog, but when we got him he had no manners. He now, thanks to CM's methods, has perfect manners.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Hi,

I'd like to jump in here if I may and try to at least justify my reasons for why I'm anti-CM.

I agree with the basics he states - stay calm, don't raise your voice etc. I believe that if you feel calm inside (and not just look calm on the outside) then a dog will pick up on that. Just as if you feel angry, a dog will pickup on that feeling too and may react differently - but that's as far as my agreement with CM goes. Also, as already stated by many, these aren't his methods. Thousands of trainers use them.

I too have seen him, IMO, mistreat dogs, using undesirable methods, already mentioned. I did as suggested a couple of months ago and watched an episode with the sound off. I'd learned as much as I could on my own about dog behaviour, read a load of books, used only positive methods with my own dogs and any others I train and tried to make a purely objective view of the episode. The programme I saw was the one with the husky (?) that ended up ripping CM's shirt and scratching his arm quite badly when he raised him up off the floor with his lead. Now I don't watch his programmes at all.

What really cemented it for me was when one of the trainers at my local dog training club started using CM's less acceptable methods. I saw the damage done to someone else's dog who will now cower away from this trainer. because of his treatment of this dog, and the blatant disregard for his owner's feeling about it, I decided that my dogs would go from the puppy class to the advanced class. Obviously with a lot of hard work inbetween but there's no way he's taking my dogs off me to hurt them.

I'm not saying everyone who is pro CM would do all of these things. But after seeing first hand just how much harm can so easily be done through a basic lack of understanding of dogs, I am completely against CM's methods.

If he uses methods that aren't cruel or can be considered mistreatment, then could someone please enlighten me because I've missed it completely.

Laura xx
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-09-2009, 03:44 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post

Hal, who was an entire alpha male, totally disobedient,
Yeah..he's alpha.... sure.

It couldn't be that you just haven't trained him and blame him for you inability to communicate. It's really pathetic they way people blame their animals for their own failures.

In his Dogstardaily blog, Eric Goebelbecker writes "This kind of dominance is a prism that makes some people see their relationship with their dogs as an ongoing struggle for supremacy. It anthropomorphizes dogs in the worst possible way because it overlays a uniquely human perspective onto a dog's mind and then punishes him for it."

with no desire whatsoever to please his owners.
Who told you that this is a quality that dog's should have? It is up to the trainer to make certain behaviours rewarding by reinforcing the dog when they perform them.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2009, 04:36 AM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cant be bothered!!!!! ))))
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2009, 05:51 AM
i have taken off the above post because i cant be bothered to argue the toss again.

In a nutshell......If i Call CM cruel im calling HIM cruel & him alone.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2009, 06:24 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Wys - as always I totaly agree.
Often in these thread I feel 'what is the point' but then I remember that there are more people reading than there are posting.
Yes, exactly - that is one of my main reasons for posting. And I believe someone has to stand up for those who cannot speak - in this case, that's the dogs

People can switch on their TV and see CM doing what he does and for the majority of the GP this is about all they see of dog training and because it is on TV then he must be 100% correct
Yup, sadly!
And because the books are so "well written" and quite clever (including the way he drops names of dog behaviourists who don't actually agree with him!) they appear to make the methods more valid, too.

Also I've noticed that people who know nothing about say, flooding, suddenly become an armchair expert on it ... and won't listen to those who have actually studied it in the context of dog training and behaviour. I find this very difficult because they are adamant they are correct, even though all they've done is read or watch CM!

I have often seen people 'tssting' finger jabbing, claiming the space and even lifting strange dogs tails up because they have seen it on CM and so think they can 'help' other peoples dogs
Yes, this is another reason I post because CM does actually affect the behaviour of dog owners in dog training classes and behaviourals I am involved with! (and I have to use great tact to explain to them the reality - it's the same countrywide).

I question when someone posts about using his methods not to ridicule them but to
1. Really understand what method was used - lots of people when questioned about using CM's methods do not actually use any of the methods I object to
2. Try and understand why they felt the behaviour was needed - what other methods had been used and why had they failed - and would there have been other ways to solve the problem
3. Try and understand if it worked, why it worked, I am really interested in dog behaviour and I like to not take things at face value
4. Give alternatives and explinations from my experience incase there is someone else there with the same problem who is thinking of using the same solution with no experience in the matter

Wys
x
Closed Thread
Page 59 of 84 « First < 9 49 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 69 > Last »