Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kanie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2011, 07:15 PM

Tips for Surviving Crufts

Every year I see things at Crufts that delight me and things that absolutlely madden me - and there is usually a point during the day when I think 'never again!'

There is so much to take in (and such big crowds) I'd be interested to know what other people do to make their day go smoothly.

Here are my tips:

1) The Schedule in the exhibitors' section in the official webpages has a list of people running coaches at the back. Sometimes, you can get a seat and join at your nearest M-way service station en route. You get there early enough to browse the stalls in peace!

2) If you go by train - use the station loos before you go in!!!

3) Take your own supply of drinks and food and this year I am going to try to find a lightweight, portable seat too.

4) If you want to watch a specific breed being judged, get there early if you want a decent seat and try to keep your cool if the seats are all taken by people eating their lunch and chattering and appear to have no interest in the judging at all

5) Don't expect everyone on the Discover Dogs stands to be polite or even mildly enthusiastic about their dogs - this always ends up getting to me because I've done DD a couple of times with my old Irish Terrier, Logan and we worked really hard, but not everyone does.

6) Work out what you really 'need' to see and stick to it!

hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 07:17 PM
Oh yes good idea re drinks & food!!
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by Kanie View Post
Every year I see things at Crufts that delight me and things that absolutlely madden me - and there is usually a point during the day when I think 'never again!'

There is so much to take in (and such big crowds) I'd be interested to know what other people do to make their day go smoothly.

Here are my tips:

1) The Schedule in the exhibitors' section in the official webpages has a list of people running coaches at the back. Sometimes, you can get a seat and join at your nearest M-way service station en route. You get there early enough to browse the stalls in peace!

3) Take your own supply of drinks and food and this year I am going to try to find a lightweight, portable seat too.

4) If you want to watch a specific breed being judged, get there early if you want a decent seat and try to keep your cool if the seats are all taken by people eating their lunch and chattering and appear to have no interest in the judging at all

5) Don't expect everyone on the Discover Dogs stands to be polite or even mildly enthusiastic about their dogs - this always ends up getting to me because I've done DD a couple of times with my old Irish Terrier, Logan and we worked really hard, but not everyone does.

Good tip re own food and toilets. I find a change of footwear usefull.

Not fair what you say about DD I have done it a few times and I would hate anyone to think I was not enthusiastic or impolite. I did Welsh terriers and my little girl spent most of her time out of the pen and in some strangers lap.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by Kanie View Post

Here are my tips:

I find that very offensive. Ive organised my breed stand for several years and done DD for about 12yrs. I work damn hard and so do all my volunteers.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 07:30 PM
People wouldnt do the DD stands unless they felt passionate and up for it surely after all their 'promoting' their breed. I cant think of anything better than talking about CCs all day. I was asked to do DD with 4 of mums baldies this year on the fri or sat but cant get to either.

My advise is just to have fun, ask questions if you 'think' you see something, dont bug handlers just as their preparing for the ring and mainly use common sense while having a nice day out....
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 07:31 PM
Comfy shoes and, yes, take your own food and drink if possible as it's expensive at the venue, not to mention queues.

And if you see a toilet without a queue, I would advise you to go if you can to save wasting time waiting in long loo queues!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 07:31 PM
Ohh yes...Shoes - thats a goodun.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 07:33 PM
I've done Discover Dogs at Crufts and in London several times and don't recall anyone not being approachable and the ones I have chosen to speak to have always been happy to talk about the breed and the dogs they have on the stands. IME, anyway.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 07:36 PM
Oh and a fleece or jumper, it can be quite cold believe it or not! Especially in the main arena, around breed rings and benching areas. You can always tie it around your waist or put it in a bag if you feel warm, which I've never really had to do to be honest, although I do wear a cotton base layer under a top for Crufts and Discover Dogs in London.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 07:40 PM
Loads of drinks and layers of clothes as temperature does vary and it can be hot in the crowds and cooler elsewhere.

I always took cheese strips and pepperami sticks to nibble on as well, easy to carry.

Don't buy dog beds till just before you leave!! Carrying them around is a nightmare---and don't go on the stalls where you win HUGE dogs!

rune
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >