Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2010, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I wondered too...but didn't want to say because I didn't want to set off another discussion about making assumptions about the past of a rescue dog!
Thing is...she does have more of a thing about spaniels and sheep dogs. I did wonder (as I have yet to abandon my shock collar theory) if she has been punished for chasing, or even for moving towards a running dog...my theory is if she was in a sit by her handlers side and had chased dogs in the field in the past...and he popped a shock collar on and shocked her whenever she looked at or moved towards a running dog, then she would associate them with pain and so want them to stop running. Remove the pain/collar and she is free to stop the dog running because the pain doesn't happen.

No we will never know...but I do think her reactions accompanied with the hair and skin on her neck point to a shock collar having been used...and yes probably more around springers than other dogs. Bless her.
I'm not saying that a shock collar wasn't used, but a dog could react in a similar way due to frustration as their stress levels get so high. Then it becomes learned behaviour. Hopefully it will soon become 'unlearned' and she'll happily be able to run around off lead with the other dogs.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2010, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I'm not saying that a shock collar wasn't used, but a dog could react in a similar way due to frustration as their stress levels get so high. Then it becomes learned behaviour. Hopefully it will soon become 'unlearned' and she'll happily be able to run around off lead with the other dogs.
No I know you weren't
I also agree frustration could cause similar problems...but it is the absolute wanting the dog to stop running that is the problem. She is fine once the dog stops, as long as it doesn't try to run again. The running thing is the issue if you see what I mean. It's not like she wants to run and play with them...sometimes she doesn't want to play (sometimes she does it depends on the dog) but she really wants them to stop running.

I think it is slowly becoming 'unlearned' as she can now be in the garden without attacking a running Cosmo...and on a longline out and about. Still wouldn't trust her offlead around other running dogs...or any dogs incase they start to run, but we are getting there...slowly but surely.
Small steps.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Well done Tango and to you Ailsa.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Thanks Lynn xxxxx
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2010, 04:10 PM
oh well done to both of you! sounds like she is making such amazing progress!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2010, 04:17 PM
Slow and steady progress......
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4