View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2010, 01:23 AM
It's not a pleasant feeling is it? I was attacked whilst out walking my dogs many years ago, of all the miles I cover walking ironically I was only 1/2 a mile from home!

Thankfully I survived pretty much inscathed, but it's certainly left me a better awareness of what's going on around me when I'm out and about. I supppose in some ways it could be bordering on paranoia, but there's not a lot I can do to change this state of mind now. I'm quite an aggressive type of person (which is what saved me the first time) so I do feel I could defend my self if need be. Whether I'd be successful again is impossible to tell, but then there are always risks in life, right?

These days I'll walk pretty much anywhere day or night with the dogs, the way I see it is the worst has happened and I'm banking on lightening not striking in the same place twice. Not the most fool proof way I admit!
JackieandMia
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-02-2010, 12:22 PM
I'm lucky if anyone stays on the same side of the road as me let alone thinks about attacking me

I was carefull where i walked when i just had my Cocker (who i lost amonth ago) but since having a Rottweiler for the last 6 yrs it's not something i really worry about. I often wonder if she would protect me but i'm sre she would because she is the most loyal dog i have ever come across she hardly leaves my side even when she's off lead.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2010, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
Hi,

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your walk as much as you shul dhave but well done for reporting this to the Police. Many people woul dhave thought that as no crime had been committed )or attempted) there wouldn't be any point in reporting it but as you said, what if you'd not said anything and someone was attacked?

It just means that you are very aware of your surroundings but it's a shame you can't feel safe where you want to walk.

If I have Buddy with me I don't feel at all safe. In fact I tend to feel more vulnerable. Even though he's the ne out of the 4 of them that would certainly bite if anyone tried anything but because he's a small dog (comapre to the others anyway) nobody thinks he would do it.

With Zane being the mnster he is (size wise) then nobody would bother me with him, even though he's the biggest wimp on earth.
Yiannis would happily have a nibble on more or less anyone if they got close enough and meant to do harm and Ellie would certainly guard an dprotect.

I've never een in a situation with my currnet dogs where they've been put to the test in that way but I'm sure if I had Oscar with me, they would certainly have the attitude of "bite first and ask questions later". Oscar beliongs to them as far as they're concerned (which is nice) and I know that even in the park if he runs off, I can send Zane or Ellie (particularly) aft4er him to look after him or bring him back and he will come to no harm. having said that, he's never out of my sight and not far enough away for anything to happen.

Laura xx
If this is true about them being liable to 'bite first and ask questions later' I would be very concerned for the dogs' safety. What if Oscar was to fall over and an innocent passer by was to go to his aid...from what you've suggested, your dogs would bite them?

A dog that will 'bite first and ask questions later' is likely to get into serious trouble at some point. I would certainly not send them off to 'look after' Oscar if they have this mentality.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2010, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
If this is true about them being liable to 'bite first and ask questions later' I would be very concerned for the dogs' safety. What if Oscar was to fall over and an innocent passer by was to go to his aid...from what you've suggested, your dogs would bite them?

A dog that will 'bite first and ask questions later' is likely to get into serious trouble at some point. I would certainly not send them off to 'look after' Oscar if they have this mentality.
DITO, this sinario is very dangerous,

royce was very protective of kids, anyones kids, he would get upset if a parent smacked a child in the park, I had to be very watchful of royce, his heart was in the right place, thankfuly he would never have gone in with a bite though, he used to try and put himself between any child he felt at risk and whatever he thought they were at risk from.

I never feel worried walking my dogs, but I do own big ugly dogs lol
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2010, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post

royce was very protective of kids, anyones kids, he would get upset if a parent smacked a child in the park, I had to be very watchful of royce, his heart was in the right place, thankfuly he would never have gone in with a bite though, he used to try and put himself between any child he felt at risk and whatever he thought they were at risk from.

I think I'd feel pretty darn secure walking 4 Rottweilers!!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post

Totally agree, I think this would be a behaviour I would not want. Bruce and Skye stay with our Foster Son, although he doesn't run up ahead but I know they would growl if anyone looked menecing...but they wouldn't bite then ask questions.
However I am not a person that would encourage that behaviour anyway
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2010, 04:21 PM

I wouldn't take on you with your 4 either.....
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

02-02-2010, 04:25 PM
but I do own big ugly dogs lol
Who said they were ugly Shona - not me that's for sure I like all dogs but some are really 'noble' and 'refined' in their looks and yours fall into that category
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
I wouldn't take on you with your 4 either.....
I would if it was just the boys -I think they are too gentleman like to hurt a lady (though I guess they might decide I'm not a lady if I was trying to duff Shona up)
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Who said they were ugly Shona - not me that's for sure I like all dogs but some are really 'noble' and 'refined' in their looks and yours fall into that category
ooh I missed Shona saying that. 100% agree with you Harvey (and I've met 3 of Shona's in the flesh) - they are definitely not ugly, very much the opposite.
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >