View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2009, 06:01 PM
This is very interesting thread i really cant believe the changes in some of the breeds.
Here's the Cairn Terrier which i dont think has changed considerably except the name short-coated skye terrier to cairn.

My boy:
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
From this:

To this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU1IZ...layer_embedded

Improved?
Much improved in my opinion. I love the modern GSD in its country of origin. Mind you the GSD is an inteesting case as a lot of the changes were brought about by Von Stephanitz himself as he worked to produce what he wanted when he started the breed
Mind you my current rescue looks very like the first set of photos but I still love him.
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-09-2009, 05:21 PM
IMO this is the way GSD should look like. This phenotype is very similar to that seen in its cousins the Belgian and Dutch SDs

Of course it doesn't hurt that this dog is a Schutzhund dog and not exclusively a show dog.

GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by Promethean View Post
IMO this is the way GSD should look like. This phenotype is very similar to that seen in its cousins the Belgian and Dutch SDs

Of course it doesn't hurt that this dog is a Schutzhund dog and not exclusively a show dog.

Now to me that is the opposite of anything a GSD should be, a dip behind the whither lacking turn of stifle & poor front angulation to name but a few faults I want a GSD as those in Germany regulated by the SV. I don't want a Belgian or Dutch Shepherd dog or thats what I would own.
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-09-2009, 03:55 AM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
Now to me that is the opposite of anything a GSD should be, a dip behind the whither lacking turn of stifle & poor front angulation to name but a few faults I want a GSD as those in Germany regulated by the SV. I don't want a Belgian or Dutch Shepherd dog or thats what I would own.
But what you describe is not a GSD, it is something created much later thanks to the pressures of the show people. The GSD, as described by Max von Stephanitz is exactly what is shown above, straight back, medium size, and not much different than it's cousins. From a biomechanical standpoint, today's GSD couldn't hold a candle to the specimen above.

It's no surprise that Schutzhund world is now dominated by Dutch and Belgians, as the current GSD being crippled by angulation have a hard time keeping up.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

27-09-2009, 07:34 AM
Current GSD development seems to have been inspired from the great seventies campaign.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq0OQ...eature=related
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2009, 08:02 AM
Excellent thread! Really enjoying it.

From the crippled beast that could barely drag its own weight up the garden path....

...to the magnificent athelete of today.

100 years of KC mismanagement.
That's hearbreaking to be honest. I would love one if they were the same as the original line. So sad ;o(

Originally Posted by Vodka Vixen View Post
My breed has changed HUGELY!!

Mainly because they beacame popular for their wrinkles, the cute factor and also the fighting culture so they were bred with far too many to the point they were unable to see and had numerous skin problems, things are much better now but they still look alot different to the "original pei"

Original Pei

My boy now

I love your chap/chappess but wow, what a fantastic looking dog in the early lines. Interesting story behind them too. Very educational. Thanks ;o)

Originally Posted by labradork View Post
The first yellow Labrador:

He is kind of houndy looking to me; wonder if there is a bit of something else in the genes?
Very hound-like. Ears are alot like the Viszla/Weimeraner I think.

From this:

To this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU1IZ...layer_embedded

Improved?
God no. Sorry but that is hideous and quite upsetting. I'm afraid I don't like the GSD much at all, but they look so much better in the early lines.

Labradork beat me too it with the springer. They used to be allot like the cocker in shape and size, in fact it was quite hard to tell them apart. Rips has a great book on it that she once posted.

Interesting link here though - http://tinyurl.com/yatqtzf

Also, don't forget we've gone from this:

To this:

To this along the lines:
(Woody's Great Grandfather)

(Woody)
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-09-2009, 05:25 AM
If Pugs still looked like this, I could almost be convinced into owning one

Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-09-2009, 07:57 AM
I think it's obscene what show breeders have done to the bull terrier. How can anyone argue that this change in skull shape has in any way made the breed 'better'?
How can you argue it has not.

Doe anyone have any proof , that the original dogs were healthier than what we see today.

And I dont mean because the way they look, shorter legs, sloping backs, and so on.

But recorded proof, that breeds in their infancy were healthier than their counterparts today!!
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2009, 02:12 PM
But what you describe is not a GSD, it is something created much later thanks to the pressures of the show people. The GSD, as described by Max von Stephanitz is exactly what is shown above, straight back, medium size, and not much different than it's cousins. From a biomechanical standpoint, today's GSD couldn't hold a candle to the specimen above.

It's no surprise that Schutzhund world is now dominated by Dutch and Belgians, as the current GSD being crippled by angulation have a hard time keeping up.
Angulation has nothing to do with the word crippled by which I take it you mean hip dysplasia if this were the case chows would not have severe hip dysplasia. All adult dogs shown in Germany have to have a good grade in hipe. The modern English line GSD has developed from the show fraternity but in Germany the dog has been developed by the SV & their judges are required to follow the edicts of the SV & health checks are done or adults can not be shown & they also have to have schutzhund qualifications to be shown unless they have herding qualifications. I prefer todays dog you do not. However they are the GSD as evolved. from their conception to now, in their country of origin & what either of us think is basically irelevent. Its only what we personally find esthetically pleasing.What I do know is that from when German dogs had to be health tested to be bred from & shown to now there has been a considerable improvement in the health of the dogs.
By the way if you want to comment on Von Stephanitz I personally think the difference between Horund & Klodo V Boxberg, both dogs at the times Von Stephanitz was in charge, is as great as any modern changes.
Page 6 of 16 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »