Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by Rubster View Post
Ok, well there are now 6 brand new sparklywarkly taggywaggys on the way to my house all engraved with the info req'd by law & a phone number.
The other tags have vets details on, which I thought was a fab idea.
Now gimme my pompoms purrrrrrleasssssseeeeeee

Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Think about it.

Nobody HAS to have a phone, I know some people who do not have one.

So if you made a law that REQUIRED a phone number, it would not be very useful would it.

Also, phone numbers are not necessarily very useful.

You may be on it phoning around whilst others are phonine YOU to tell you they have found the dog.

Of course if you HAVE a phone (plus a mobile) then you would put the numbers on your tag.

I have mine, my mobile and my vet's numbers on mine.

I have picked up several dogs with no address and just the phone number and I can tell you this is what happens.

Two of them I could have walked round to their homes.

Instead they want to the police (at that time) and the owner had to pay a lot of money to get them back.
Its all very well if you know the area.

I picked up a greyhound playing with the traffic once who had her address on her tag - but no-one (I asked where I picked her up) knew where it was. No one knows where our house is either!!

She also had a home phone number on there, sadly, as they were out looking for her they did not get my message till an hour or so later. (It made me realise that mobiles are important for that.)

Luckily, when her owners got in and got my message, they called me and came and collected her.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Its all very well if you know the area.

I picked up a greyhound playing with the traffic once who had her address on her tag - but no-one (I asked where I picked her up) knew where it was. No one knows where our house is either!!

She also had a home phone number on there, sadly, as they were out looking for her they did not get my message till an hour or so later. (It made me realise that mobiles are important for that.)

Luckily, when her owners got in and got my message, they called me and came and collected her.
Which just goes to prove that neither the address nor the phone number is foolproof!

I do not keep dogs when I find them, they now go to the dog warden, (easy to get local council via directory enquiries) unfortunately due to the new system, out of hours strays have to remain just that, strays.

As the police will not take them (unless they are on the main road).
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 10:22 AM
Which just goes to prove that neither the address nor the phone number is foolproof!

I do not keep dogs when I find them, they now go to the dog warden, (easy to get local council via directory enquiries) unfortunately due to the new system, out of hours strays have to remain just that, strays.

As the police will not take them (unless they are on the main road).
Yes - as I posted the other day - councils advice is to let them go again.....

Not something I am willing to do I'm afraid.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Yes - as I posted the other day - councils advice is to let them go again.....

Not something I am willing to do I'm afraid.
Unfortunately for some, including me, keeping a dog is not an option so there IS no choice.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Unfortunately for some, including me, keeping a dog is not an option so there IS no choice.
It is not an easy thing to do I understand and my friends who picked up the other day were lucky they found a vets who would take. It is always going to be your choice as to what you do - the councils advising that I guess at least makes people feel like they have tried. Its a sad situation.
zarah
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-06-2011, 11:06 AM
Mine has my name, full address, landline phone number, mobile phone number and, on the other side, vets name, full address and phone number. Was the biggest tag I could get
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by zarah View Post
Mine has my name, full address, landline phone number, mobile phone number and, on the other side, vets name, full address and phone number. Was the biggest tag I could get
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by zarah View Post
Good job you haven't got a Chihuahua-poor dog wouldn't be able to move it would be so weighed down!
parsonsmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-06-2011, 09:29 PM
I read right through this thread and was feeling quite smug that I had all the info required on my dogs tags........then it dawned on me.......I changed my mobile a few months back and still had my OLD number on the tags.
3 new tags have been duly ordered.
Page 11 of 13 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 >