Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ajolie
Dogsey Junior

23-02-2005, 01:43 PM

MAKES ME SO MAD

ok this may be long winded bear with it

each week i read my local paper to see whats going on etc. and out of intrest i always look at the dog for sale section. to see if there are any huskies not to buy but to see where they are to see if my babies can meet more of there breed.

anyway like a month before xmas there was an add in the paper for "wanted:male husky" blah blah etc with my area code and because he tel number was similar to my own i must have remembered it.
then around the weeks after xmas there was another add sayin "for sale:male husky 11 weeks blah blah no fault of his own etc £650 " and the tel number was the same

well a:husky puppies have a rec price from the shcgb breed club at £600 for a pedigree and no golouring shall warent a highier price.
and b:i thought ok maybe this is a breeder so i rang her hoping to meet up with our dogs.............

well i thought i would enquire about this pup 1st as i was abit concened as if they had got the pup from a breeder they will (if respectable) take the pup back to rehome.
so i asked if she had the parents....No was the reply...so i asked where she had got the pup.....norfolk but it was her partner that got him as a present for her but after having him a week she said that her other husky wasnt accepting her. well a week i think isnt really enough time to come to this conclusion. i asked if her older 1 was violent towards him and she said no just wont go near him.
so i then said do u have the papers she said no so i said the price was way too high. i asked what breeder she got him from and she said i dont know my partner went and got him the sat before just went out for the day and came back with him. (so they prob hadnt been vetted to see if they were suitable to own this breed)
by this time i was gettin a little hot with her realising her add b4 and now this pup is going to be passed around like a toy!
she refused to tell me where she lived even when i said i wanted to come and see him possibly buy him at asking price just to get him outta there as i wasnt gettin a good vibe from her.
she hung up.

so i had to leave it not knowing really what else i could do.

then.... the following week she put the price down to 450 and the week after that there was no add asume he was sold

now a month and a half later i see in the paper "wanted: male husky"
the same number
WHAT IS GOING ON!
why is she doing this.
i just wish there was something i could do as i believe she is gettin pups pos cheaper then selling them on as i can remember last summer i kept seeing the same adds but cant remember the number but im sure its her

why are some people so aggghhhhh
Lorraine(bws)
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2005, 01:51 PM
my god that is awful I would be the same as you really worried have you tried looking up the phone book if you know the name at the very least you will get her address that is if she is not ex directory worth a try
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-02-2005, 01:55 PM
Blimey thats terrible
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2005, 01:57 PM
That's terrible! Some people have no idea that these are dogs not TOYS!
ajolie
Dogsey Junior

23-02-2005, 01:57 PM
she wouldnt even give her name so that made me think how dodgy she must be
CBT
Dogsey Senior

23-02-2005, 03:09 PM
At the end of the day if they buy the puppy and then choose to sell it on there isnt anything you can do, it is their pup and they can sell it if they want (unless of course they have signed a breeder contract to say the pup is to be returned if the home doesnt work out)
If you were getting a little "hot" as you say you were, then Im not surprised the woman didnt want to give you any details etc If It was me and I had a stranger on the phone I didnt like the sound of I would probably politely hang up on them
You could try contacting local breeders if you are concerned, might jog someones memory? but if the pup was sold with no contract then its no ones business except the people selling the puppy and they can sell, or not sell to whoever they decide.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2005, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by CBT
At the end of the day if they buy the puppy and then choose to sell it on there isnt anything you can do, it is their pup and they can sell it if they want (unless of course they have signed a breeder contract to say the pup is to be returned if the home doesnt work out)
If you were getting a little "hot" as you say you were, then Im not surprised the woman didnt want to give you any details etc If It was me and I had a stranger on the phone I didnt like the sound of I would probably politely hang up on them
You could try contacting local breeders if you are concerned, might jog someones memory? but if the pup was sold with no contract then its no ones business except the people selling the puppy and they can sell, or not sell to whoever they decide.
I agree with CBT about the fact that the woman never gave you any details, in theory you are and could have been anybody lol. I mean would you ever dream of giving your address to a stranger who calls you up asking lots of questions.

Unfortunatley there are some people who are incapable or just should not own animals period. The best we can do is try and educate them, it is very sad they are now looking for another dog but like CBT there is very little you can do,
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2005, 10:31 PM
But maybe if this definitly is a pattern occuring here with the ads then there could be something the original poster could do?...Because if this is a regular occurance with these people buying a puppy then selling it on for a higher price to make money (if that is what they are doing) then surely that is cruelty to animals because it is in no way right to take a puppy and unsettle it only to have to for a week or two and pass it on to someone else to unsettle it yet again. It's not exactly a stable begining for the pups in question and getting passed around like that early on could cause problems later and end up with the poor little guys being re-homed yet again and to my mind that is cruel.

The thing is you have to know for sure if that is what is going on and I don't know how you could prove it but it definitly seems doddgy to me the fact that you have seen these ads a few times and that a pattern is appearing, for the puppies sake I would keep a close eye on the ad's and see if you really belive this is happening and try to find a way of doing something about it.

I do understand your frustration, I would feel the same way.

Even if they arn't doing some kind of puppy scam, taking on a puppy and only giving it a week to settle in and then getting rid is just not fair and just for that I think they are out of order.

If they are Husky owners and good owners then they should know the commitment involved in owning a dog even more than most and should be prepared to be in for the long haul, these people just don't fit that bill to me. It just doesn't sound right. I feel sorry for the poor puppy.
CBT
Dogsey Senior

23-02-2005, 10:43 PM
but if you think about what you have just said that could equally be applied to rescues - if they take a puppy in, then perhaps foster it, then it is rehomed, that is change and upheaval for the pup just the same?
Dogs are very adaptable creatures, Ok so a move from the breeder to one home and then on to the next is not great, but there are far worse situations a puppy could be in. If they buy a puppy then sell it again, they are techincally not doing anything wrong, so long as the puppy is properly looked after and cared for. If they are handling large numbers of pups, they would be classed as dealers and would have to apply for a pet shop license to buy and re-sell pups so enquiring about whether or not they have one and digging up some dirt, that might be your best course of action if youre concerned,

that is of course providing there is something to be concerned about
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2005, 11:14 PM
cbt you said...

"but if you think about what you have just said that could equally be applied to rescues - if they take a puppy in, then perhaps foster it, then it is rehomed, that is change and upheaval for the pup just the same?"

...I don't agree...a rescue dog has to be re-homed so that it can go on to have a better improved life and re-homing it will ensure that and in that case it is kind.

To buy a puppy with the knowledge that you are going to sell it on within a week or two is unfair and to my mind cruel to the puppy. Your right, it might not mark them for life as they will get over it but they are vulnerable at such an early age and I think it is sad to do that to a puppy, if you buy a puppy you should do so because you are going to give it a loving and permanent home not because you are going to play pass the parcell with it just to make a quick buck extra...

"If they buy a puppy then sell it again, they are techincally not doing anything wrong, so long as the puppy is properly looked after and cared for. If they are handling large numbers of pups, they would be classed as dealers and would have to apply for a pet shop license to buy and re-sell pups"

...It shouldn't be allowed and in any case if that is what they were to do license or not I gaurantee that they wouldn't be honest to the new buyer and so they would be selling under false pretense...A potential owner may buy a pup in need of a second home because things didn't quite work out for these people selling the pup but tell them they just buy pups to sell them on for profit and the potential owner should run a mile. I would want to know where my pup came from and know all about it...add into consideration that they are actually bumping the price up as well as not being truthfull. If that were the case and of course it's all hersay at this point, I think that it would be terrible wrong, although technically it most likely isn't and nothing could probably be done because that is always the way...

That all aside it is most likely a case of some half wits wanting a dog, in this case a Husky, not quite liking the one they got and working their way through until they get the one they do like and that is pathetic too.

either way...I agree with the original poster...it 'makes me mad too'.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >