Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tedsui
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-05-2013, 02:46 PM

Bitch Genitalia

I might be naïve but my GSD/Border Collie bitch whom I've had for 3 years has been licking herself round her genitalia for the last few days. Having had a good look, as best as I could, it seems that she has a "cone shaped" protuberance which I guess is her vulva and behind that seems to be 2 little small lumps (about half the size of a marble) that looks like a pair of shrunken testicles. Is this what they all look like please, or should I be heading down to the vets? She was spayed before we had her so she can't be having a phantom pregnancy, or can she? Grateful for any help please.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-05-2013, 02:57 PM
I'm guessing she's got irritated/blocked anal glands, hence they're 'bulging' and she's licking them.
I'd either go to a vet if she's got other symtoms as well or go to a good dog grooming parlour where they can squeeze anal glands.
But I've never had that problem before so you my advice is based on what I've read and heard.
tedsui
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-05-2013, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
I'm guessing she's got irritated/blocked anal glands, hence they're 'bulging' and she's licking them.
I'd either go to a vet if she's got other symtoms as well or go to a good dog grooming parlour where they can squeeze anal glands.
But I've never had that problem before so you my advice is based on what I've read and heard.
Thank you very much for your suggestion. She is going to a groomers tomorrow and she will attend to that as part of her service. She did have a bout of diaorrhea yesterday but normally has really hard stools so they probably express themselves automatically.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2013, 02:05 AM
She may also have a UTI - urinary tract infection so try & get a sample of urine to your vet to test. A simple course of antibiotics will soon clear it up if this is the case
tedsui
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-05-2013, 05:06 AM
Hi there, Update on Tia - Went to the groomers on Wednesday and she checked her anal glands, nothing there, but she shaved away the area involved and it was quite red. Went to the Vet yesterday and she had a look and it looks like a case of "nettle stings" all red and spotty. We now have steroids, anti-biotics and hibiscrub wash to make her more comfortable and since her first medication last night she hasn't chewed at the area at all. Looks like it's a "non-specific" reason for the rash, maybe a grass reaction or something else. Thanx to you both for your assistance.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2013, 02:15 AM
Glad you got sorted
tedsui
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-05-2013, 04:47 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Glad you got sorted
Thanx