View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Labernese
New Member!
Female 

10-05-2013, 08:37 PM
No actually, I haven't. My dog loves Blue but I'm wondering if I should switch him to one of those brands that you have to refrigerate, or raw.

Is fromm sold at petsmart? That's where I get Blue.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2013, 08:41 PM
I don't know sorry as in the UK you can only get it via agents.
Dr Salter
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by Laurabehjet View Post
Hi, I'm no expert on diets at all but you should know that quite a few studies have linked raw meat diets to pancreatic disease due to the high fat content of raw meat. Pancreatic disease takes a long time to show so dogs appear healthy sometimes for years before they show symptoms.

Also worth noting that raw meat can be infected and E. coli especially is very dangerous causing heavy bleeding from both ends and all sorts.

Lots of raw food supporters will claim dogs won't choke on bones so long as they are raw, but studies on wild captured wolves has shown that they sometimes choke and sustain serious injuries from eating bone.

When we got Penelope, we fed her a dry, premium, 76% meat food, grain free with no fillers. She appeared allergic to something in it and after seeing no change in symptoms after switching to cheap supermarket dog food and plain lamb and rice we looked into prey model diet, BARF etc etc.

the more you read into it the more serious risks you will start to uncover and read about.

We switched Penelope to a vegan diet, lots of lentils, beans, some rice and other carbs, lots of fruit and veg and also a commercial supplemented vegan dog food called ami and her symptoms disappeared.
She eats a mostly vegan diet now but gets a little cooked meat now and then as she doesn't seem to react to it anymore.
Im sorry, but I must point out that you are wrong -

Much like cancer in dogs, pancreatitis in dogs is just another condition brought on by feeding your pet a low quality diet of commercially manufactured food. This commercial food, typically mush and kibble, is usually grain based and contains little to none of the aforementioned enzymes used in the process of digestion. What this means is that in order for your dog to digest the food that they are given, they are using up their finite resource of enzymes with no adequate nutrition to replace them. Over time, it’s inevitable that something’s going to go wrong and that something is often pancreatitis.

The high fat content in meats are mainly found in beef and lamb, if you feed chicken or turkey or tripe you are fairly safe. You can, of course feed beef or lamb as a treat maybe twice a week.
Labernese
New Member!
Female 

10-05-2013, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by Dr Salter View Post

Much like cancer in dogs, pancreatitis in dogs is just another condition brought on by feeding your pet a low quality diet of commercially manufactured food. This commercial food, typically mush and kibble, is usually grain based and contains little to none of the aforementioned enzymes used in the process of digestion. What this means is that in order for your dog to digest the food that they are given, they are using up their finite resource of enzymes with no adequate nutrition to replace them. Over time, it’s inevitable that something’s going to go wrong and that something is often pancreatitis.

The high fat content in meats are mainly found in beef and lamb, if you feed chicken or turkey or tripe you are fairly safe. You can, of course feed beef or lamb as a treat maybe twice a week.
Do you feed your dog(s) using the prey model or the barf diet?
Dr Salter
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-05-2013, 09:54 PM
I dont really go in for labelling diets. I feed my dog a minced meat, containing ground bone and veg with added tripe and fish oil. I guess you would call it Barf rather than Prey. I dont give him bone to chew, as first of all hes not interested, and secondly as hes only small, he could easily break a tooth. I feed mainly chicken and sometimes lamb, but only about twice a week with lamb.
Laurabehjet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-05-2013, 07:20 AM
Originally Posted by Dr Salter View Post

As I say, I'm no expert, I'm just relaying what I read and I did come across a lot of studies and owner and vet accounts that put a strong link between raw meat diets ( those consisting of just meat and bone especially but also the raw diets that include a small amount of vegetables) and pancreatis.

At the end of the day, you always want the best for your dog and there will always be people fiercely on each side of the raw debate but what I found out when contemplating this kind of diet was very frightening so I think it needs to be looked into VERY carefully.
Talk to lots of vets, owners, breeders etc if you can before making any kind of decision.
Also try and see if there's any raw studies listed in veterinary journals as they should be very reliable, you can't always trust what you read on the Internet.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-05-2013, 03:54 PM
*off topic posts have been removed*
Dieseldaft
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-05-2013, 02:48 PM
Hi Labernese

My dog has been on a raw diet for almost 2 months now and the he is doing amazingly well on it. Amazing glossy coat, small poops (that dont really smell), beautiful white teeth (from raw bones), more content etc the list is endless...

Also he cleans his bowl every mealtime, whereas before kibble would lie most of the day untouched. Currently this is my 'menu' for him. He is a 4 year old collie cross weighing around 22kg.

Monday - Chicken mince / chicken necks / liver

Tues - Chicken mince / beef chunks / raw egg

Wed - Beef mince / raw meaty bone / liver

Thurs - Beef mince / oily fish / kidney

Fri - Tripe! (very smelly lol!)

Sat - Lamb mince / raw meaty bone / raw egg

Sun - Lamb mince / beef chunks / kidney

As long as your ratios are roughly 80% meat to 10% bone to 10% offal then they are getting everything they need Its honesly quite easy once you get into the swing of things! I'd be happy to give you a hand with a 'starter' menu plan.

Leona
Dieseldaft
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-05-2013, 02:52 PM
Oh and also meant to say, that I was feeding my boy a 'good quality' kibble, but feeding RAW actually works out slightly LESS expensive. Obviously im in the uk but I spend around £30-35 a month on raw (about $45-50 dollars?). (could probably do it for even less if I shopped around a bit more )
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2013, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by Dieseldaft View Post

Also he cleans his bowl every mealtime, whereas before kibble would lie most of the day untouched. C
Leona
Originally Posted by Dieseldaft View Post
Oh and also meant to say, that I was feeding my boy a 'good quality' kibble, but feeding RAW actually works out slightly LESS expensive. Obviously im in the uk but I spend around £30-35 a month on raw (about $45-50 dollars?). (could probably do it for even less if I shopped around a bit more )
Just curious but it does sound as though you were giving your boy too much kibble if he wasn't eating it all so it's not surprising that it worked out rather expensive! £30 is roughly what I pay per bag of kibble (cheap rates!) and I would expect one bag to last much longer than a month for one dog.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >