View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
susannah92
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2013, 08:23 PM
So pleased to hear that your dog is doing so well - you must be delighted.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2013, 02:19 AM
I am delighted! I'm delighted with him, with his vets, and with everyone who has cared about him.

I was utterly devastated when the first diagnosis came back hemangiosarcoma. Of course I am under no illusions that he's going to be around forever, but to have him ripped away so quickly... then, he was so thin and so sick. Anticipating that he wouldn't be able to walk more than about 10 minutes at a time, we bought a wheelchair for him from a nice guy on Gumtree (prams are way too expensive and he's a little big for a pram anyway) so we could at least take him to places where he liked walking. The other day it was nice and we went out with friends-- it was a slow walk, but we were out for an hour and a half. He is still very gradually putting on weight-- I don't think he'll get back up to normal; it's an uphill battle for him, but he's not needed to be carried up the stairs or lifted into the car once in months.

I'm very grateful for the vets, who recognise his improvement and recommend we just let him keep on improving, rather than introduce more tests or invasive treatments. We don't know what kind of cancer it is, but do we really need to know? They have given us a heads-up as to what we should watch out for: fluid accumulation in the abdomen or lungs will indicate heart troubles, and we're best placed for noticing that. He'll get another ultrasound in May. He doesn't even need to be sedated for that, and he thinks going to the Vet School is a grand treat. He loves it.

We are so fortunate, and we know it. Sure, it'd be better if he didn't have cancer at all, but if he has to be sick, he's doing okay at it. He's a scrawny snoring beast. I could say the same of myself.

I wish everyone could have results as good as this. Thank you everyone for wishing him well!
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-05-2013, 09:22 AM
Well, our hand has been forced. The latest scans show that while there's been very little change in the tumor, the Old Dog's pericardium is hardening. He is veeeery sloooooow now, and already showing some signs of discomfort in his breathing owing to backed-up fluid in his abdomen and liver. With the vet's recommendation, he goes in for a partial pericardiectomy on Thursday.

This will be a permanent fix for the effusion, if not for everything, and hopefully will give him more time comfortable and happy. Please send him good thoughts!
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2013, 09:40 AM
Hi it could by something in the Lympho,which I think comes under Vascular,what you really need to do is make sure they dont cover the same ground as your vet,let them look for other things i.e like the gut, the vascular, and even the thyroid,you really need to cover new ground so that everything possible is looked at.and you get a clear idea exactly what is going on.It very well could be Thryoid,because my shape changed,got very tired,bad circulation mine is underactive.So the best of luck,keep us posted Gemini54
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-05-2013, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by Strangechilde View Post
Well, our hand has been forced. The latest scans show that while there's been very little change in the tumor, the Old Dog's pericardium is hardening. He is veeeery sloooooow now, and already showing some signs of discomfort in his breathing owing to backed-up fluid in his abdomen and liver. With the vet's recommendation, he goes in for a partial pericardiectomy on Thursday.

This will be a permanent fix for the effusion, if not for everything, and hopefully will give him more time comfortable and happy. Please send him good thoughts!
All good thoughts and as many healing {{{vibes}}} as I can muster will be with Berkeley on Thursday.

(((hugs)))
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-05-2013, 10:34 AM
Hi Strangechilde , it sounds as though Berkeley has done amazingly well so far.

All my best wishes for Thursday, I will be thinking of Berkeley... xhugsx.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2013, 08:55 PM
Thank you all for the good wishes! Berkeley has done very well, and we've had a pleasant surprise.

The surprise is: no cancer. No tumour, not in the base of his heart, not at the top, nowhere. What's suspected is that there was some something causing distress of the pericardium, we don't know what, but scar tissue could easily have shown up as lumps. No cancer that she could see or feel.

The surgeon removed most of his pericardium and loosened scar tissue constricting his arteries. She left what she couldn't remove safely; it won't cause any bother. He won't recover 100%, but he will recover to have more days in the sun. He'll come to France for another summer. He'll breathe easy.

The end comes for all and I've never been under any illusions that my beloved Old Dog has been in the sights, but he has been granted a reprieve. He will have a longer rest. He will have another swim, when his sutures, all the way up his side, have healed. He's still with me, and I'm still with him.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2013, 09:00 PM
Oh this is the most fantastic news. I am so happy for you and your ole dog.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2013, 09:15 PM

Have just been reading Berkeley's story. What a journey you've had together. You must be so relieved.Wonderful news
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4