Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 06:35 PM

Kennel experiences

Just wondered whether this is considered normal after your dog has been kennelled.

We've just got back from holiday and Fern is pretty chilled, he looks like he had a grand time, he seems to have bonded to one of the kennel ladies quite well, he was being brought down to us but was pulling at the lead to get to one of the kennel ladies

But his nose was bleeding - he has a half centimeter graze on his nose, and he also has a bright red sore under his chin.

And he is crying over every little thing since we have got him back - not to mention how bad he smelt, and that he is looking quite thin.

We have since bathed him, OH was bitten and drew blood, we think it was accidental though (grabbing at the water bottle, got his hand instead) but Fern has been a little more 'moody' than usual.

Still we have scrubbed him up, sat in front of the roaring fire, groomed him, fed him and he fell asleep in our laps (snoring I might add!)

For those of you like us who have no choice but to use kennels, do your dogs get scratches on their noses etc?

Many thanks
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 06:39 PM
Never had to kennel. So have not had any good/bad exsperiences.

A local kennel has themed rooms. Home from home, TV, Sofa. Provides a choice but very exspensive and do wonder about cleaning ect

Min xxxx
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 07:08 PM
A lot of dogs at the kennels I work at stick their nose through the bars/wire, and graze the top of their nose and their chin.

Teagan kept jumping up and getting those sticky out pads on her front paws caught, and they got a little sore.

All dogs tend to leave smelling - at least a bit, some dogs more than others (long coats), but we bath/brush them before they go if the owners request it.

As for looking thin - a lot of dogs won't eat.
Little Kingsley has just been in the kennels for a week, and has had literally a mouthful from each meal (2x meal per day), he has lost weight too, but we aren't worried, as he'll put it back on quickly enough at home!

A man brought his collie x and another dog to the kennels last year, and when he picked them up he complained his dog was so thin.
Unfortunately, we can't force feed a dog if he doesn't want to eat!
This guys dog just got so stressed being in kennels, wouldn't eat at all.
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 08:11 PM
I agree with Hevvur about the pushing noses through wires hence the scrapes
Murph comes back a bit smelly but not completley obnoxious -Fern is probably knackered hence the whining and snoring they just don't snooze like at home
The weight loss would bother me to be honest ..how long were you away ??

Murph came out of one kennel stinking and skinny ( we never used them again )
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2006, 08:13 PM
Ive worked in kennels and I would 'ditto' everything Hevvur has said, the other thing is some dogs do a lot of jumping, pacing and trying to escape from morning till evening and they will completely exhaust themselves. Ive had owners tell me that their dog slept for the first 4 days of being home. Im not saying that the dogs are having a horrible time at the kennels, its just there are other dogs there and theres different people there, its a lot of excitement for them.
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 08:17 PM
Pip has been into kennels twice now. He seems to have a great time and if anything, I think they either overfeed him or give too many treats as he has always looked 'well rounded' on return. Tia stayed for the last few days (in with Pip) the last time and they both looked really happy when they were picked up. I have not had to bathe either of them and have not had any 'injuries'
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 08:33 PM
The first time Hollie went she seemed to have had a horrible time - her bedding was stinking when we got her, smelt of urine. She cowered whenever we raised a voice and if she lay at our feet and we crossed our legs/moved she would jump. That was a 2 week stay, really wish we had chosen somewhere different/gone for a short stay first. I looked round before I booked it, met the owners, saw the 'guests', seemed really nice.

The second time was a different kennel, for 2 nights. She apparantly went at the bars whenever someone went up her path, as if she was in attack mode, apart from one girl who worked there. She was able to go in Hollies enclosure with her and hand feed her. I had spoken to them before I took her and explained the first experience so they were prepared - they were brilliant with her.

We haven't needed to use them since, not had a holiday for 2 years!
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by Trish

We haven't needed to use them since, not had a holiday for 2 years!
easily solved - you just take the doglets with you

we left ours (2 of them) with a friend when we went to crufts. We used kennels once a good few years ago, good reputation, recommended by people looked round twice - but the dogs hated it - i'd never leave them again.
H xx
hammerette
New Member!
Female 

04-04-2006, 09:56 PM
I have only ever used one once and hopefully wouldn't have to again!
Our poor Jake was a nervous wreck when we collected him. He was also in a poor condition. He was thin and moulting badly. He had urinated in his own basket (and had probably slept in it).
Also he hardly ever barked before he went in but now barks at anything! espeacially when he knows that we are getting ready to go out.
We checked out the kennels before we booked him in and he was only there for four nights but it certainly seemed to change him!
willow_pheonix
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-04-2006, 06:10 AM
I have used kennels 3 times but know we take the dogs on holiday with us. The first was when i only had Tammy, she was only in for 2 nights and she was a mess when she came back. That put me off kennels i was in a worse state than her. Then i had problems trying to get a kennel that would take staffie and staffie x when i did find one i didn't think they looked great but gave them a cahnce. The dogs loved it, they came back fat which is good for a fusspot like tammy. They were clean and happy. The guy who ran the kennel moved them into his house as he was worried they were cold at night. Now i wouldn't use any other kennels, goes to show looks aren't everything
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >