Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 07:31 PM

Sick dog and Duty of Care

I visit an elderly dog that is extremely thin, confused and unwell. She is barely eating, has chronic diahorrea and her back legs are very weak. If she were my dog I would have had her euthanased before she got to this state.

She is under the care of a vet and this is what I am finding hard to understand. Do vets have any legal obligations to euthanase a dog if they cannot be kept comfortable. How bad does it have to get?

I am finding it very difficult to watch this dog suffer like this and the owner seems to be in denial that her dog is dying. She keeps returning to the vet and this poor animal is being subjected to further exploratory tests and prescribed more and more medicines despite the fact she barely eats now. I feel the owner is being exploited as no amount of money is too much to give her dog another week of life with no quality.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 07:39 PM
I feel the owner is being exploited as no amount of money is too much to give her dog another week of life with no quality.
If the owner won't put the dog to sleep then what can the vets do except try to make her as comfortable as they can? I've seen it happen with several dogs now and I agree that it's wrong but I'm not sure where vets stand legally. I know they can recommend euthanasia but that's probably all they can do without raising it as a cruelty issue or something.

I don't get why people keep their pets alive like this though, surely it's better to let them go than to drag out their last days as long as possible and make them suffer
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 07:46 PM
I see what you are saying Sarah. I would have thought if they wanted to they could have quite a bit of influence but if it falls on deaf ears maybe that is all they can do.

I just feel the fact they have had the dog in for exploratory tests must have been very distressing and pointless. Surely they are allowed to refuse doing further tests on a dog that is so frail?

Sadly she has just lost another of her dogs a matter of weeks ago and I felt the same with that dog. I took him out for a toilet break and he lay flat on his side on the pavement and people stopped to offer help! The dog was in pain and she left it too late for him.

Her remaining dog is so thin that she would be reported to the RSPCA if the dog was seen out. She is painfully thin and has 'lost the plot' since her companion died and seems like a lost soul waiting to die.
Daxi Delight
New Member!
Female 

15-03-2011, 07:48 PM
As I understand it, the duty of care relates to having a duty to treat - which the vet is doing. With regard to 'how bad does it have to get?' my guess would be that it would have be life threatening.

I worked a Practice Manager (so not clinical) for a vet a few years ago and they always tried to get people to think of the quality of life of the animal; but I guess if the owner says keep going they have to keep treating. I would imagine the legal implications of performing pts in this situation would be horrendous too.

Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't put any of my animals through that and I hope my vet would be blunt with me.
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by Daxi Delight View Post
With regard to 'how bad does it have to get?' my guess would be that it would have be life threatening.

What would be considered life-threatening, I wonder.

When her last dog was pts she told me he took a turn for the worse and hadto be put to sleep in the night. She made it sound as though she was not given a choice but the dog was very sick so I dread to think what a 'turn for the worse' meant.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 08:10 PM
How awful for you to have to see a dog suffering like this, it sounds like it's had enough of life now doesn't it and should be put out of its misery with dignity, which they all deserve. Sometimes, some owners can be so darn selfish, keeping a dog alive for their own selfishness, not even thinking about how the poor dog might be suffering, it's just so unfair.

I don't suppose the vets can do anything other than keep on advising her that it's time for her to go and if she thinks otherwise, then what can they do really. I remember when I had the vet out for my last dog to be pts here at home, and when it was all over, the lovely lady vet gave me a great big hug and told me I was a very responsible dog owner, my dog was ready to go, because she went so very peacefully.. She then went on to tell me I wouldn't believe what she had to see sometimes on these types of visits, it broke her heart when she saw some of them, knowing they were in pain and suffering but there had been nothing she could have done until the owners had called her.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Have you thought about offering to go to the vet with this lady and her dog next time they go. You could then put specific questions to the vet and between you this lady may accept the situation more easily and come to terms with making the right decision, especially if you are there to help her.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 01:27 AM
I've had a couple of clients that "don't believe in Euthanasia" and refuse to do so, even if the dog is suffering. If we don't have the owners consent, we can't do anything. That's the law. Its likely the owner that isn't seeing reality, not the vet. Vets in general see enough sickness to know when "it's time"
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-03-2011, 01:56 AM
all a vet can do is there best,at your wishes.if the dog is pain free and life is futile some will want the dog to pass naturally,I was there once,her name was Spaz,she passed in my arms at 15yrs She was failing fast and was medicated to the point were I felt she was numb ,so to speek, she was allert and knew who i was untill her last breath,and thats all that mattered to me . I beat myself up for months with the way she left...did i di the right thing?,did she suffer? im not sure ,but what i do know is, she was not stressed buy a setting ,the vets.cold rooms,other animals,she died in my arms,with a little dignity. I cant stand the sight of a dog bieing put down at the vet...seems cold...i can only imagine the pain one would feel while working at a vet....WOW got me thinking of an old friend!
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 08:51 AM
That's so sad . As aerolor said, is it an option that you go to the vet with the owner? Alternatively, could you ring the vet yourself & tell him/her of your concerns? Perhaps the vet would appreciate some input from a 3rd party?

It's very difficult for both the owner, who may be scared & reluctant to admit that the dog is so poorly, & the vet who can only go by what the owner is saying & what he/she observes in the dog. Sometimes the information provided by a caring 3rd party may enable the vet to persuade the owner that keeping the dog alive is cruel, that the dog is suffering & that the kindest thing is a peaceful end?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >