Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-04-2005, 11:43 AM
Hope this may be of help Laura,
Many dogs have nails that look misaligned, it has to do with the type of foot they have, a cat foot generally has short well kept nails as they are constantly hitting the ground with with the nail tip. A hare foot I think is what cassy has, where her pads are striking the ground at the same time as her nails, lessening the abrasive contact with the ground, hence her nails grow long, with a dog as well exercised as Cassy pulled nails are going to crop up periodically. Suggestions, don't run her hard on concrete, or when the feilds are very frosty. Hope all goes well at the vets.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2005, 11:54 AM
Thank you very much, that is useful, hopefully it wont be anything too serious and will have it sorted tomorrow. I shall try get a picture of her feet tonight when I get in & post them on the board.

Thanks Again
Laura
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2005, 12:54 PM
we had a rescue guinea pig whos nails had gotten so long that the quick had grown so he couldnt have them trimmed much when we got them so they grew deformed as he walks on them they turn to the side . i know this is no help but thought i would mention it. they had to go sideways cos they are too long
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2005, 03:23 PM

You might be able to see Gibson's nails in this photo. The tips are clear but the closer to the fur you get, they're brown.

It's only on his front feet and it's actually getting better now that he's on a different food.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2005, 05:23 PM
Thanks for all the advice, okay here is a shot of her nails the only one with the slight reddish/brown discolouration at the base is the one I have kindly put a big pink arrow towards lol The other nails that are darker are just infact half black!! Now I see them again they are not as bad as I thought but hopefully it will be okay at the vets and notning too serious!

Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-04-2005, 05:33 PM
Laura they look fine to me, you can get problems with infection in the bed of the nail , but then that area is usually painful and slightly swollen, have it checked but it looks ok from here
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2005, 05:34 PM
i like the arrow how did you do that???
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2005, 05:35 PM
No swelling & definitley not painful (she would let me know) any time she has had a problem with her feet it is the only time I ever heard her yelp. I think they probably just need trimming and what with her dew claw being ripped out and her pad cut I was just being over sensitive lol. Still the vet will tell me tomorrow and probably charge me a fortune for the pleasure of telling me she is allright lol.

Thanks!!
Laura
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2005, 05:39 PM
LOL Katy I used MGI Photosuite, I nicked it from work it is rather good you can do lots of things lol
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2005, 06:14 PM
Laura I don't think we can ever be 'over sensetive' when it come to our dogs lol

Good luck for tomorrow
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >