Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2006, 10:00 AM

Not a very nice subject,(poo disposal)

Sorry to ask this as I know it's hardly the most pleasant subject.
What do you guys all do with the poop from your gardens/yards?
We have a green doggy poo bin, which if I'm honest, I must say doesn't work very well at all.
It seem rather cruel to the bin men to put it out with the domestic refuse, although I occasionally sneek the odd poop bag in.
I could collect it and take it with us when we go out and put it in the dog collection bins around town, but I would be interested to hear what other Dogwebbers do with theirs (so to speak).
Thanks and sorry again for raising this subject.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-11-2006, 10:07 AM
Hi Caroline we had a discussion on here about dog loos a while ago .

I had one once and even with a small dog it was totally useless and became foul smelling in a very short time. My garden is heavy clay so I guess this didn't help because it could not soak away .

I save any old plastic bags from shopping (rather that buying them specially) , pick up instantly and put it in the bin.

When out or work I pick up and bring it home in a box I keep in the car for that purpose (I used to hang the bag on the wing mirror of my car when at work ready to bring home but often forgot about it until halfway home when I spotted it swinging there )
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2006, 10:20 AM
I felt bad about all the plastic bags I was putting in the bin with poo in. So I bought one of these doggie loos in Acorn and set about installing it in the garden. First time I flushed it out it all came bubbling up and over my feet! So, undeterred I decided to move it and I set it in a higher area and built a kind of rockery around it. It flushes and drains quite well really now, but it is quite a chore I feel. Anyway I intend to persevere bearing in mind that as Oscar gets older and will have longer walks and fewer meals, there won't be so much to put in it. If it works well I will put some plants into the rockery and hopefully that will be that. But, I have to say, it is not the ideal solution it claims to be.
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2006, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Caroline we had a discussion on here about dog loos a while ago .

I had one once and even with a small dog it was totally useless and became foul smelling in a very short time. My garden is heavy clay so I guess this didn't help because it could not soak away .

I save any old plastic bags from shopping (rather that buying them specially) , pick up instantly and put it in the bin.

When out or work I pick up and bring it home in a box I keep in the car for that purpose (I used to hang the bag on the wing mirror of my car when at work ready to bring home but often forgot about it until halfway home when I spotted it swinging there )
We also tried the dog loos and found them useless, but also had heavy clay in the garden so it could be that has alot to do with it! I use bags to pick up and put them in the bin bags when I put them out for the bin men, I dont feel im throwing more bags away then I would be anyway as I save and use the carriers from my weekly shop but would prefer to use a dog loo if it would actually work!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2006, 10:35 AM
All the poo in my garden is collected periodically, and put into a sack (generally a food sack), and thrown away every fortnight when the bin men come.
Munsti-Sue
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-11-2006, 11:00 AM
We to used to have the doggy loo....which worked well initially until earlier this year. With heavy rain, the water table rose meaning the drainage was non existant - when the water/poo mixture finally went down, the holes in the bucket got blocked rendering the bin useless. We now get poo bags from the local libary and throw waste in a designated bin in the garden that gets emptied into the main household bin weekly when the binmen come.
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-11-2006, 11:04 AM
Mine just goes out with the trash and gets collected like normal
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2006, 11:06 AM
We collect up poo periodically (have a huge garden and field so can take a morning!), put it in a carrier bag (from the shopping) and put it in our black, non-recycleables bin.

Fancied a dog loo, but didn't hear great things about them.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2006, 11:08 AM
Yep - mine gets thrown with the household rubbish weekly. It's accumulated in a bag hanging in the garden, and then triple wrapped before it's out out with the household waste. We also had a dog loo - scuse the pun - it was cr*p
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-11-2006, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
We also had a dog loo - scuse the pun - it was cr*p
:smt043 teehee
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >