Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-07-2009, 11:51 AM

He ate my lunch

I only went out of the kitchen for a minute.
When I came back Dale was munching my roll. He'd jumped up and helped himself. I got it back but don't fancy it now
I've never had a dog that helped himself to food. I shouted, took it away from him and told him off, but he doesn't look a bit it upset.
O.K How do I stop this? It's time first time but usually there isn't anything left out to eat.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Prevention is better than cure, don't leave food where he can reach it-part of the natural make up of a dog-opportunism-especially were food is concerned.

No point in shouting or telling him off, he won't know why you are doing it-dogs don't do thinking guilty
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2009, 12:51 PM
yup, difficult i know but no point in getting angry cos its your fault

keep things out of temptations way and teach a leave it command

pretty easy
have a treat in your hand and close your hand over, dog will try and get at it, as soon as they look away say 'leave it' and treat from your other hand
they quickly learn that they cant get that treat and the only way to get a treat is to look away
slowly build up different situations like flat hand, putting treat on floor, dropping on floor, putting on plate, but always ready to cover treat with hand or foot incase the temptation is too much

it takes a wee while but with my ex stray scavanging foodie dog the other night my mum put some crackers and cheese on the arm of the chair and we were both out the room, i came back in to mia on the sofa right by the plate of untouched food with her facing the opposite way
she did get a treat

i have also found if they have to do something before eating or getting treats then they are less likely to steal treats for free
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
yup, difficult i know but no point in getting angry cos its your fault

keep things out of temptations way and teach a leave it command

pretty easy
have a treat in your hand and close your hand over, dog will try and get at it, as soon as they look away say 'leave it' and treat from your other hand
they quickly learn that they cant get that treat and the only way to get a treat is to look away
slowly build up different situations like flat hand, putting treat on floor, dropping on floor, putting on plate, but always ready to cover treat with hand or foot incase the temptation is too much

it takes a wee while but with my ex stray scavanging foodie dog the other night my mum put some crackers and cheese on the arm of the chair and we were both out the room, i came back in to mia on the sofa right by the plate of untouched food with her facing the opposite way
she did get a treat

i have also found if they have to do something before eating or getting treats then they are less likely to steal treats for free
That's the annoying thing, he knows 'leave it'. He'll even walk past horse pooh now just not rolls with sausage.
Ah well. I suppose I should have had a nice healthy bit of lettuce and neither of us would have been tempted.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2009, 02:02 PM
this reminds me of when we first got Hoki. We'd been so spoilt with Kip's perfect manners.

OH had some soup and bread, put it down on the coffee table, went into the kitchen to fetch his drink - when he came back Hoki was stuffing her face

However, she is now very good, as is Stumpy and we are just working on Tip.

First they get used to food being around - e.g. on the coffee table with us there. They get treats/chews while we are eating and are expected to lie still until we've finished.

After awhile like that, we risk leaving something on the table infront of them for a very short time while we leave the room. I can now leave my dinner on the coffee table go into the kitchen to get a drink and some treats for the dogs, come back and neither of them will have touched my dinner.

Although we have accidently left things (e.g. packet of human biscuits) on the side/coffee tables overnight, they haven't touched those either. mind you, I'm not sure a really tasty dinner would still be there if I left them alone with it for a few hours!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2009, 03:35 PM
That`ll learn you to leave food lying about! I had a dog once who would sneakily eat the ham out of the sandwich without disturbing the bread - hoover action probably.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Tilly will take anything too - she's a little considerate though because if it's a bacon sarnie, she will just take the bacon! The other day son had a sausage roll & went to get a plate - she took a bite of the sausage roll & left the rest! I thought that was kind
I've told the kids prevention is the only way!!