Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 01:38 PM

Walking DA Dogs

For those of you with DA Dogs,do you enjoy walking them ?

I relax with Tyler and just plod along with him,he's dog friendly and I tend to not worry,however when I walk Meg I am always wary and feel like I need eyes in the back of my head because of numpties with loose dogs
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 01:51 PM
I've walked dogs that are aggressive to people, or aggressive to other dogs (& sometimes both!) & I would 100% prefer to walk dogs that are aggressive to people rather than to other dogs. At least with people you can avoid them more easily, predict their behaviour more easily, tell anyone approaching to keep away from the dog etc. But very often we have no control over other dogs ~ the ones that "just want to play/say hello" etc: ~ no more than their owners have any control either in most cases
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post

I relax with Tyler and just plod along with him,he's dog friendly and I tend to not worry,however when I walk Meg I am always wary and feel like I need eyes in the back of my head because of numpties with loose dogs
I'm not even on the lookout for loose dogs.... almost anything can set Max off.... dogs on leads, people on the same side of the road etc

It's never a relaxing walk until I get onto the beach (where I can see for over a mile each way....)
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-04-2011, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post

Do you find yourself walking where you don't think dogs will be??
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 02:10 PM
I don't have a DA dog but can't imagine how stressful it would be having one. Even walking around the streets around here you often run into off lead dogs.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 02:12 PM
Casper's reactive, not aggressive, but I definately prefer walking him somewhere quiet where we won't meet other dogs, or going out on group GSD walks where I knew he wouldn't react. Probably been a bit detrimental to him in the sense that it's not dealing with the issue, but in a way it's given me a break and a chance to work on stuff like recall and attention out on walks without dealing with the stress of avoiding reactions - but this summer we're getting out there and facing it because I won't always be as lucky to have acres of quiet farmland to walk him on.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 02:35 PM
God no! I used to love walking my last two but walking Rupert is a chore, there's no pleasure in it at all. And to make matters worse we've been allocated a flat in Germany so chances are I'll have no choice but to walk him during the day once we're there. I can see both our stress levels going through the roof if so.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
God no! I used to love walking my last two but walking Rupert is a chore, there's no pleasure in it at all. And to make matters worse we've been allocated a flat in Germany so chances are I'll have no choice but to walk him during the day once we're there. I can see both our stress levels going through the roof if so.
You'll adapt though - I know the best times to take Max out now - when we'll meet less people/dogs. During the day might be better, as you won't have the before/after work rush that I contend with....
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 03:07 PM
It depends where we are.....
I absolutely cannot walk Teagan down a road during the day. If she even hears a dog bark, she goes mental, mever mind seeing one!!

The beach at night is the best place (see my pics!), I've only even seen 1 other person with dogs there at night!

I can drive to the park, and stick to the edges and quite easily avoid other people with dogs. Luckily pretty much everyone at our local park is great, and have dogs with good recall, or keep them on a lead, so I don't have to worry (and for some reason, Teagan doesn't react if they are quite far away!)
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
You'll adapt though - I know the best times to take Max out now - when we'll meet less people/dogs. During the day might be better, as you won't have the before/after work rush that I contend with....
I'll cope, I'm hoping he will too. Even without seeing other dogs he's highly stressed while on leash. Hopefully there'll be somewhere safe to let him off leash, he relaxes off leash and seems to really enjoy himself. Unfortunately Germany seems a bit more restrictive about where you can take dogs but we'll see when we get there.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >