View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 02:53 PM
I do think dogs should be leashed at the vets but to be honest a leashed dog with that sort of owner is just as much of an issue as a loose dog. I've lost count of the number of leashed dogs I've physically blocked from getting close enough to Rupert to get hurt. Yes he's muzzled but it doesn't prevent damage being done.

I've never run into an off leash dog at the vets, I have however run into a lot of loose cats just sitting quietly on their owners lap. Despite Rupert being a cat killer it's never been an issue for us. Given the chance he'd be on them but he's not given that chance and has enough self control that he just lies there watching. It doesn't really seem sensible to me to have them loose though. All too easy for something to spook them and them take off or get hurt by an out of control dog or something.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by nddogs View Post
Does he want his dog fighting with an unknown dog?? Because thats what could well of happened if there was a large aggressive dog sat waiting.

The lady waiting said we shoud put a suggestion in, and an older lady whos works there then came out and agreed she said ''dogs on leads - cats in baskets''.
The vets I use has signs saying all animals must be suitable restrained (or wording to that effect).
If it had run up to Teagan she would have attacked it!

Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I've lost count of the number of leashed dogs I've physically blocked from getting close enough to Rupert to get hurt.
Totally agree
When I took Teagan to the vets a few weeks ago for them to check out the lump on her face, a guy with 3 small dogs came and sat near us (which is fine), but then let all 3 dogs have the whole length of the leads, run up to Teagan and start barking in her face
She then got wound up, and started to bark and lunge, and he just sat there!
I told him to move as Teagan didn't like his dogs in her face, and he went and sat in the entrance hall - where his dogs proceeded to bark and lunge at EVERY animal and person that walked through the door! He did nothing to stop them!

grrrrr!
Shani
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2011, 03:31 PM
The bloke obviously thinks his dog is sooo well trained & behaves it'self all the time. Doesn't he know the biggest killer of dogs is 'trust'!
Also if the dog is a trained hunting/retrieveing dog, it could go beserk at a boxed pet rabbit or bird. (as it's been trained to)
The only time he'll learn is if his dog desides it doesn't want to go into the vets, & run half way across a busy road!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 03:38 PM
I think lead...myself

But I've been into vets where dogs have been unleaded
Cats have been carried in by owners in thier arms and once on the womans shoulders
I have seen unvaccinated puppies being walked in
and I have seen rabbits being held in a blanket

all IMO unacceptable
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Not sure any gundogs have been trained to go berserk.......................!
boxergoggins
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-03-2011, 05:17 PM
What a complete tw@t!!

I think as a matter of safety all pets should be restrained properly as said..in box/lead etc...

When I took Thor in on Monday a huge hairy GSD came in off lead...owners miles behind and eventually they found its lead and just held it....

Luckily, THor was being x-rayed but if Id had my other boxer Stella (RIP) with me she wouldve gone beserk!! She had fear agression caused by numerous attacks from GDS!!!

No-one at the vets said anything as they knew said GSD owners and obviously it was a good dog

BUT

No-one knows how their pets are gonna behave at vets due to being poorly, owners worried etc...

My motto--better to be safe than sorry....
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 05:30 PM
Oh, I totally agree with you!

And I think someone at the vet's should have insisted that this man take his dog out and only come in again WHEN his dog was on a lead.

Quite apart from anything else, at the vet, I don't want my dog in physical contact with any other animal at all - you don't know what the other dog is there for and it could be something easily caught.

I would suggest actually putting a letter of complaint together and handing it in personally or posting it if you're not going back for a while.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by nddogs View Post
In the vets with our little dog (on lead) sorting stuff at the desk, a lady with a dog (on lead) was sat waiting. The door is automatic, in comes this lab on it's own! And comes up to our dog. The owner comes in afterwards taking his time, our dog and his have a grumble at each other and he's still messing around taking his time to get a lead sorted out but not at all concerned. Mum says ''dogs loose in a vets is not a good idea'' he says something like ''s'pose you know everything about vets'' in a very arrogant way. The girl at the desk didn't know quite what to say and asked him if he was ok he said '' Yes I was until I met this lady'' again sounding very arrogant.

Does he want his dog fighting with an unknown dog?? Because thats what could well of happened if there was a large aggressive dog sat waiting.

His attautude was so bad I hate to stereotype but he was a rather stuck up, shooting / gundog man type with a great big shiny 4wd parked out side so he'd obviously let the dog out in the road and it had made it's way into the vets. btw I am not saying all who work gundogs / go shooting are stuck up! far from, just a small few are and think they can have a dog off lead all the time the dog had no collar either, I don't have so much of a problem with that so long as the dog is micro chipped but still.

The lady waiting said we shoud put a suggestion in, and an older lady whos works there then came out and agreed she said ''dogs on leads - cats in baskets''.

Do you agree that dogs should not be off lead at a vets? What suggestion would you write, suggest a sign or someting??

Thanks

Even I who couldn't be more anti-lead would NEVER take any dog, however well behaved, however obedient, into a vets off lead. Dogs virtually always are stressed going to the vets, if they are not stressed they are excited. They are certainly not in a calm state of mind, and more often than not, neither is the owner. The WORST possible time to have your dog off lead!!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Even I who couldn't be more anti-lead would NEVER take any dog, however well behaved, however obedient, into a vets off lead. Dogs virtually always are stressed going to the vets, if they are not stressed they are excited. They are certainly not in a calm state of mind, and more often than not, neither is the owner. The WORST possible time to have your dog off lead!!
LOL...how can you be "anti-lead"? I've heard everything now.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
LOL...how can you be "anti-lead"? I've heard everything now.
Mmmm, it was an attempt at a joke, sorry, it obviously fell flat. Just ignore me.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >