Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

06-03-2005, 03:01 PM

What is 'gameness'?

A number of threads revolve around the trait 'gameness' yet, what is it exactly?

This thread is to debate what it actually is and what people percieve it to be (probably via what the 'media' portray it as).

Let's get to the bottom of this once and for all!

[edited to change colour]
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

06-03-2005, 03:02 PM
To save CBT posting it again, I've quoted her definition that she posted in another thread:
(if you want to post a specific one for this thread CBT go ahead and do so and i'll delete this one)

Originally Posted by CBT
for me personally Gameness means determination and drive, it does not and should never mean dog to dog aggression in the sense of growling, lunging, snarling etc. Some have likened gameness to "controlled fury" meaning that they could easily seperate the dogs when fighting, as they would have to for washing purposes and treatment of wounds etc. The dogs were often encouraged by verbal command when they were in the pit although the handlers were not allowed to touch the dogs.

Dogs in the fighting pit would not show normal patterns of pre-fight aggressive body language, they wouldnt necessarily growl or snarl or hackle, they would just get to business. so a snarling aggressive dog on the end of a leash is an accident waiting to happen not a game dog. and certainly not a dog to be proud of.

I wouldnt want a dog that was aggressive towards other dogs! my dogs all get along, but as Ive said before I do like to supervise them at feed times and playtimes to make sure nothing happens, prevention is better than cure.

My dogs arent aggresive towards other dogs, like I said before they watch with interest when they see other peoples outwardly aggressive dogs are lunging at them, they are not wanting to start fights, and thats the way I like to keep it.

my dogs are not "game" in the true sense of the word as to find if a dog is game you have to test it against other dogs, and that is something I have never done and never would, so my dogs are bred from "game dogs" in the not so distant past of their pedigree, which had been tested in this way, so they are bred from game lines if you like, but that does not make them game. Theres a big difference.

What it does ensure is that they are fit, healthy and not bred to a standard of looks, so that is why I choose these dogs rather than go out and get KC staffs, plus the fact I like irish type dogs better.

Does this clarify anything or should I just give up and bang my head off a brick wall? :smt021
It might be more likely to listen and open its mind

(sorry but frustration at going over and over the same thing tends to bring out the sarcastic side of me )
tombotha
Dogsey Junior

06-03-2005, 03:05 PM
As far as I know, the term gameness is how willing a dog is to perfrom a certain task, even when faced with great pain or pressure / stress.

Dogs were rolled in the pit to test their gameness, for instance if two pitbulls were fighting and one carried on despite losing or suffering injury, in a way thinking he was winning even if losing, he would be possessed of "deep gameness".

For some reason most people think it means a dog is vicious, but that has nothing to do with it.
CBT
Dogsey Senior

06-03-2005, 03:10 PM
thankyou eraze saved me typing a reply.
Tom has pretty much answered the question so no need for me to say anymore.
my dogs arent game, they are bred from game lines, so I am probably not the best person to comment on this subject, although I doubt anyone with firsthand experience of true game dogs would be willing to comment on this, but from what I have been told, Toms description fits pretty well
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

06-03-2005, 03:16 PM

What we intend to do with this thread is...

A) Find out what gameness actually is

B) Find ut what people think it is

C) Ascertain whether it is a trait we do or do not want to see in dogs (although this will probably be debated in other threads)

tombotha
Dogsey Junior

06-03-2005, 03:27 PM
To be honest it would not really matter if your staffy or pit bull was game or not, because you would never really know unless your fought them in the pit. It is a psycological thing, but I suppose many people would like a game dog because is quite an impressive quality.

Think of it this way, the boxer Rocky Marciano got puched, cut, knocked down time and time again, but always got back up and fought on no matter how badly he was hurt. If Marciano was a pitbull, he would be very game.

The only dogs bred for gameness are the SBT and the APBT, as these two dogs are most capable in the pit. The Japanese Tosa is also a fighting dog, but not really game, as its fights are short so it does need the ability to never give up.
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2005, 03:32 PM
well gameness doesnt sound like something a true dog lover would need in their dog then as a true doglover would never fight them or am i still confused?
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-03-2005, 03:41 PM
I think of gameness as a dog willing to undertake any challenge.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

06-03-2005, 03:53 PM
Don't know if it's different in the context of dogs, but I'd say the term implied a willingness to get stuck in/involved in something. as in...

q. Anyone fancy nipping in to the pub?

a. Yep, I'm game!
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-03-2005, 03:59 PM
q. Anyone fancy nipping in to the pub?

a. Yep, I'm game!
Well thats one way to put it I suppose
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »