Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2006, 07:04 AM

Seriously itchy

You know how dogs always have an "itchy spot", and if you give it s gentle scratch the old leg goes, and a daft face is pulled - all in ecstacy of course? Well, Lennon is like that all over his back. If you touch it just gently, he shivers. It's definitely much more itchy than *normal*.

I've had a nose about in his fur, but it's so dense I can't get to see skin. Neither of the others are itchy in this way. There's been no diet change and I can't think why he would be like this

I'm tempted to take him to the vet........

Can anyone shed any light on this please?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-10-2006, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
You know how dogs always have an "itchy spot", and if you give it s gentle scratch the old leg goes, and a daft face is pulled - all in ecstacy of course? Well, Lennon is like that all over his back. If you touch it just gently, he shivers. It's definitely much more itchy than *normal*.

I've had a nose about in his fur, but it's so dense I can't get to see skin. Neither of the others are itchy in this way. There's been no diet change and I can't think why he would be like this

I'm tempted to take him to the vet........

Can anyone shed any light on this please?
Hi Vicki its hard to say really,as you will know the 'tickle and scratch' is a reflex action, many dogs shiver if you touch them and a particularly sensitive place is from the middle of the back to the base of the tail (this is related to mating behaviour, thats why a dog frequently bends its tail if you scratch this area) some dogs are naturally more sensitive to touch than others. Has Lennon always been this way, is he shedding coat , could it be related to central heating. If the coat and skin look ok and there is no excessive itching it will be hard to come to a conclusion and a vets opinion may be called for.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-10-2006, 08:42 AM
Finn was like that a few months back He would shiver when his back was touched. His skin was also warm to the touch and very pink. It was due to an allergy to something. Might be worth a trip to the vet if it is not normal.

Any new air fresheners, soap powder etc.
metz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-10-2006, 09:44 AM
metz has dermitias and she gets like that when its bad i would keep an eye on her belly for red or white blotches
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2006, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Vicki its hard to say really,as you will know the 'tickle and scratch' is a reflex action, many dogs shiver if you touch them and a particularly sensitive place is from the middle of the back to the base of the tail (this is related to mating behaviour, thats why a dog frequently bends its tail if you scratch this area) some dogs are naturally more sensitive to touch than others. Has Lennon always been this way, is he shedding coat , could it be related to central heating. If the coat and skin look ok and there is no excessive itching it will be hard to come to a conclusion and a vets opinion may be called for.
Hi Mini
No, Len hasn't always been this way - it's just been over the last couple of weeks. No heating is on in our house yet, but Len is shedding lightly.
I'll keep an eye on him - thanks for your advice xx
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2006, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by Carole View Post
Finn was like that a few months back He would shiver when his back was touched. His skin was also warm to the touch and very pink. It was due to an allergy to something. Might be worth a trip to the vet if it is not normal.

Any new air fresheners, soap powder etc.
No, nothing new Carole - can't think of one thing I've changed that might be causing it. I'll keep an eye on him - thanks for the advice xx
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2006, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by metz View Post
metz has dermitias and she gets like that when its bad i would keep an eye on her belly for red or white blotches
Thanks Ash - I'll keep an eye on his tum
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-10-2006, 12:24 PM
Strange! I have had the same trouble with Blackie too, it has been the last month. I thought it was something he had picked up/eaten but it should have eased by now. It all started after he came back from his foster home. I did notice that there air was very dry - it give me and my neighbour's a sore throat, so I thought it was only that but it hasn't eased at all. I would prefer it if he was sorted before he goes back to them. I don't want them to think I've got a lousy dog!!!!

Please let us know what happens.

Thanks

Ian
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2006, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by Hoggett View Post
Strange! I have had the same trouble with Blackie too, it has been the last month. I thought it was something he had picked up/eaten but it should have eased by now. It all started after he came back from his foster home. I did notice that there air was very dry - it give me and my neighbour's a sore throat, so I thought it was only that but it hasn't eased at all. I would prefer it if he was sorted before he goes back to them. I don't want them to think I've got a lousy dog!!!!

Please let us know what happens.

Thanks

Ian
Will do Ian - hope Blackie's *itch* eases soon too! xx
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 08:33 PM
No improvement on the itchy boy, so I've decided to take him to the vet tomorrow evening. I'll let you know what it was, providing the vet know

Mya's started now too.......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >