Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
I sometimes think people who get collies would love to have the chance of working them - like me...But if you are a pet home, where the hell do you start?
If you were seriously interested in working your dog, then there are trainers up and down the country who are happy to help. However, it is not something to be undertaken lightly, and until a collie is fully trained it can be a real liability around another person's stock. It is also one of those things that has to be committed to, and is best suited to people who can have access to sheep a number of times each week.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
The ones you could be seeing in the Lakes are what is classed as a Lakeland cur. There are many farmers in the Lakes that don't have collies at all. They use these cur type dogs (which are basically noisy mongrel types (probably with a wee bit of collie in them)) who yap and scare the sheep out from the rocky fells but don't herd and work like a collie at all I was pretty surprised the first time or two I saw the local farmers bringing their flocks down off the fell. These curs will have been bred like that for generations on different family farms.
I knew I wasnt "imagining" things Moobli. They certainly were the farm "Collies" but looked like mongrels in many cases.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by joto View Post
You are forgetting pets, many many people have collies not to work or compete but as pets. The farmer breeds a litter to keep a pup to work and sells the rest to pet homes.

We had one ourselves for 17 years but he did work after a fashion as he went to work with my OH in an outdoor education center before he got too old.
Who is forgetting pets? I said people want collies as active pets?

We don't breed very often, but when we do we try to ensure that all the pups we don't keep go to good working homes. Yes, there are plenty of farmers who will sell to anyone - more's the pity really, as the rescue centres will testify to.

Not that I am saying no pet home is a good home, far from it. However, it is nice to see a pup going into a home where it will be doing what it is bred for.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Only two earsets allowed in the standard

"Erect or semi-erect" sadly most show BCs have tipped ears

Keewee's dad has "erect"ears & her mum"semi erect" ears & neither has a single KC only dog in their make up

Oh please anyone who has a conviction for animal cruelty is banned by the KC from any canine activities as soon as they are convicted & any future appointments/entries are cancelled.
- I have met them
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Me too - Merlin's working sheepdog mother had one blue eye, and she had less white than most.

I think it is the other way around - the more white you get on the dog, the more you are likely to get blue eyes, but less white doesn't mean you can't at all (if that makes sense).

Actually I disagree My Keewee, her father Chief & full sister out in Oz are all predominantly white yet all three have brown eyes
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 10:54 PM
My Wu(& Jessie)are a a mix of ISDS & KC reg BCs with just one line on the 5th generation from the foreign dogs dogs from Oz.

Jessie is a medium coated equally white/black bitch, Wu is a split faced rough coated B&W, Wu's brother, Cof,(in the Netherlands)is a black tri with classic makings & slighlty rougher coat than Jessie, but less than Wu & body type is between the two(Wu is quite stocky & Jessie is a skinny bean)

They are more ISDS than anything else really as most of the KC dogs go back just off the pedigree to ISDS & they also have Sup Ch Wisp on their maternal half of the pedigree.

This is the reason I have chosen to go back to basics & the pure ISDS lines of Keewee. They need biddability to be brought back as well as instinctive intelligence.

There is still a place for pure ISDS lines to be brought back into KC BCs if only to dilute & obliterate the "foreign"blood !
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 01:50 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I wonder if my opinion would be different if I were into show Springers and not the workers?
I wonder if this post is an attempt to take the focus away from your offensive attitude in this thread? Oh no wait, I'm 20 pages too late!

I think your opnion would be different if you stopped automatically assuming that those who show at Crufts are trying to torment their dogs.

Still no answer on your panting dog theory eh? How strange!

Anyway, best get off to bed. Got Flyball in the morning, followed by HPR training.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I wonder if this post is an attempt to take the focus away from your offensive attitude in this thread? Oh no wait, I'm 20 pages too late!

I think your opnion would be different if you stopped automatically assuming that those who show at Crufts are trying to torment their dogs.

Still no answer on your panting dog theory eh? How strange!

Anyway, best get off to bed. Got Flyball in the morning, followed by HPR training.
The thread has moved on. Apologies have been made and things have been explained on both sides.

Most people are now trying to be polite.

There is, of course, always one. Sigh.

rune
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
The thread has moved on. Apologies have been made and things have been explained on both sides.

Most people are now trying to be polite.

There is, of course, always one. Sigh.

rune
*sigh*

I'm afraid it's called full time work rune. I've just finished a 12 hour day 4 day stretch so as much as I would love to spend every single day trawling threads on Dogsey, I can't as I have to go out and earn a living.

Apologies or not, I'm still waiting on Pidges expert opinion on how my dogs are permenantly hot and stressed because they are panting!

Also, the last time I checked there was no time limit or rule that stated when I could or couldn't reply to a post when I chose to?
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-01-2011, 12:33 PM
i must admit, i wondered why you were dragging up an arguement that had been settled by parties concerned.

but fair enough if you were working and hadnt read that bit

panting is a sign that can mean hot or stressed
Page 57 of 103 « First < 7 47 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 67 > Last »