Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Oh please!!!

rune
Please what? Have you seen another like it since? I havent, I even made a point of watching them at a couple of outside summer champ shows, never saw anything like it. Not sure how many hundreds you have watched at shows but Im telling you with absolute certainty, there was nothing like that at all, and many of those dogs were crated outside with their owners.
Connor9
New Member!
Male 

26-01-2011, 10:33 PM
I personally like crufts and will be attending this year but its your own choice if you like it or not. But one thing that annoyed me was a dog must be tired if its panting. Dogs pant for tens of reasons so to just jump out and say its tired is downright ignorant as you must not know much about dogs and also a bit disrespectful to the owner. But personally I would never buy a dog that isn't a pedigree as its cruel in itself. See when you mix two dogs together you are joining two breed health problems together which means there's more chance of the dog inheretin a problem.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Tbh, you want to see a stressed dog at a competition then you are looking in the wrong place. Just take a look at the agility dogs- they probably get more stressed in the queue/waiting to go in than a show dog in its lifetime of shows!

I think the peke that memorable year was actually so overheated it needed an ice pack to sit on.

Teaching tricks agility etc is great, it is stimulating for the dog. Personally I think agility shouldn't be at Crufts----the surface is NOT good and too many dogs slip----but the 'glory' of being there beats the concern for the dogs.

rune
If ever i were to qualify with ripley (which will probably be never) i would seriously have to give it some thought if i would go or not- she turns so tightly she can barely keep upright on all weather surface never mind carpet.

Its something that really should be changed...it wouldnt be too hard to change it for artificial grass/astroturf and then change it back for the groups.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
Tbh, you want to see a stressed dog at a competition then you are looking in the wrong place. Just take a look at the agility dogs- they probably get more stressed in the queue/waiting to go in than a show dog in its lifetime of shows!

If ever i were to qualify with ripley (which will probably be never) i would seriously have to give it some thought if i would go or not- she turns so tightly she can barely keep upright on all weather surface never mind carpet.

Its something that really should be changed...it wouldnt be too hard to change it for artificial grass/astroturf and then change it back for the groups.
Last time I went the special events ring was astro turf but TBH not a lot better for some dogs. The Gordon Setter was all over the shop!

Don't know what it was in the main arena last year?

rune
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 10:50 PM
Last time I went the special events ring was astro turf but TBH not a lot better for some dogs. The Gordon Setter was all over the shop!

Don't know what it was in the main arena last year?

rune
They had a superb artificial grass surface at Boston Champ show this year, it would be great if it were adopted at other shows.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Its done at most shows. Some put them on benches too, just a gesture.

I agree, I dont have a coat without at least 2 or 3 in the pockets anywhere! By giving them out I cant see any wrong doing.

Did you make a complaint?
Goodness I didn't realise they had to do it at lots of breed shows.

They didn't used to do it as 'gesture' at agility shows, didn't need to.

Funnily it never crossed my mind to complain---I would imagine someone did ---might be why the bags started---they certainly didn't give them out when I first started going---nor did they in London.

rune
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 10:54 PM
Goodness I didn't realise they had to do it at lots of breed shows.

They didn't used to do it as 'gesture' at agility shows, didn't need to.

Funnily it never crossed my mind to complain---I would imagine someone did ---might be why the bags started---they certainly didn't give them out when I first started going---nor did they in London.

rune
Yes I think its great, no excuse then for not picking it up!

Sometimes the sponsors supply them but at crufts its usually the KC in line with their good citizen scheme.

People should complain, and not just on dog forums. I complained about people smoking outside, only they stood in the doorways with all the damn smoke blowing in on us, it was vile. Im sure I wasnt the only one and since that year, they always close the door as you go out and let you back in.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
You are right, I was just picking up on this comment..

''I agree with that, but on forums, meeting people irl and seeing on tv I dont like the attitude of many people at the top of the showing world, the people who are winning and will be at crufts''..

I was interested to see if she thought there were people on here that she saw in the same light.
There have been threads on here with people saying they had no problem passing on a dog when they no longer show it, to me that made me look at things in a different light. Im not wanting to start that whole thing over again as it has been done to death - but just to say yes there are people on here who have no problem with things I dont like

Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Yes I agree with you, but some people say that these dogs are "stressed" or "overheated" which is just not true, yet one of these people claims teaching tricks, agility etc.. is great! Ive yet to see a "calm" agility dog!
There are of course some hyper agility dogs - but they will tend to not do all that well - in the main the dogs I see are no more excited than dogs playing ball with their owner
and the over hyped ones are by far in the minority, the dogs have to be able to q together waiting for their start
Ben sometimes gets a little excited waiting to run (again not as excited as waiting for a ball) but at the start line I do t touch and focus exercises to calm him down, one day the timer broke and we had to wait a min for it to be fixed when we were on the start line - Ben fell asleep
From what I have seen the majority of the dogs are calm (but happy and excited) a few are a little overexcited

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
So what about the dogs that are left at home on a daily basis, by owners who go out to work for up to 8/9 hrs a day.

Is their stir crazy more acceptable to the show/pet dog that goes to a show every so often and spends a few hrs on a bench by a show ring!
I wasnt commenting on that - I was just saying I wouldnt enjoy it
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 11:08 PM
First time visit for me this March , Looking forward to it , Bella is 'working' on the RGT stand but hope to get time to see some of the things Crufts is all about.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
There have been threads on here with people saying they had no problem passing on a dog when they no longer show it, to me that made me look at things in a different light. Im not wanting to start that whole thing over again as it has been done to death - but just to say yes there are people on here who have no problem with things I dont like
I see - thanks for explaining.
Page 17 of 103 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 67 > Last »