Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-06-2008, 08:35 AM

Huge rant coming, Loose dogs.

Just coming back from a walk a staff cross come out of nowhere just staring, as we got closer it charged at Skye jumping all over her, when it had done started on Jake jumping, smacking running round. Then my mum followed with Star, Star has had problems in the past when barking on his lead if he felt threatend(he got attacked as a pup) so this was a big test, at first he was fine and my mum carried on walking past, he gave the odd glance over his shoulder but was fine, untill it jumps on his back, this point he was barking like mad, just like at his worst, thankfully that was a long time back.

My mum calmed him down(chicken does it) and walked him the few feet back home. I walked Jake and Skye home while this dog was still on one, it tried to mount Skye a few times, but she told it where to get off along with Jake, when that failed it was jumping all over Jake, but the old fella just kept walking. It followed us all the way home right to the front door...

It really was annoying, it wasnt aggressive but there is dogs round here who are and If it had run jumping on one of them it would have got hurt. There is also a lot of works vans at the minute so could have got hit as it had no road sense. Its not the first time I have seen it but the last couple its just stood there. I think I know the owner, she has said to my mum in the past hes a good dog and only gets out when I open the door and hes there. My mum is much more politer than me so If I see her she will remember to keep a bloody eye on her dog.

It ruined a great walk today and I just hope it hasnt put Star back. Rant over.
kingbenny
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-06-2008, 08:45 AM
This is so unfair on both you and your dogs and the loose dog itself. People who let dogs like this run loose give us all bad names. I can't say i'm surprised it was a staffy cross, it seems the percentage of irresponsible staffy/staffy cross owners is higher than the norm.

Hope the incident has not upset Skye too much, all things considered, it sounds like your dogs reacted very well to the situation. I know if this dog had jumped over my jake like that i would have been in the horrible position of having to pry them loose.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-06-2008, 08:57 AM
Cheers mate, we have had a few loose dogs and most have been Staff Xs, when I was growing up loose dogs tended to be mongrels. I think Skye will be ok, shes a tough nut.
I was tempted to phone the dog warden but did that once before over a diff dog and they are useless.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 09:01 AM
We have latch-key dogs here hun....they can be such a nusiance and a distraction with your own dogs.

Sorry your walk was spoilt
katia
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-06-2008, 01:03 PM
What a shame. Of course if your dog had reacted & 'had a go' there would have been somone on your doorstep accusing you of having an 'out of control dangerous dog'
A friend is a dog walker & one of her clients is a rescue GSD who is reactive. She has so improved but friend still spends a lot of time 'ducking & diving' to avoid others. I cannot tell you how often she has called out for people to not allow their dogs near her, only to get the answer 'my dog is fine, it's quite friendly'
Katia
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Not far from us (down the road) is a large ramshackle of a house the kids(lost count) are all "free spirits" and sois the dog a large black GSD type bitchThis dog roams the streets day and night.We have a large corner plot with a 100yd brickwall (6ft) this dog runs the whole length of the wall gobbing at mine you can imagine the racket 3 collies and a pug ,it leaps up at the gate,one day it "s t" by the garage doors so I picked it up put it in a bag ,tied it to its collat and sent it packing.
The kids are just the same rscreaming at the dogs as they ride up and dow on their bikes, tormenting the dogs under the gates Ive asked begged pleaded with kids and parents to be told that they are all free spirits!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeanette