Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nicky
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-10-2006, 04:38 PM

Trouble with bunny neutering

Hi All,

I have a wonderful 1 1/2 year old male rabbit and need to get him neutered. This is partly behavioral (he's spraying and is the stinkiest rabbit I've ever known) and also as I want to get another rabbit as company. He's very indifferent when it comes to us humans and I know he wouldn't be lonely with a bunny friend. Also I now have the space, time and funds for another rabbit. The only problem is convincing my OH that neutering is the right thing to do. He is worried that the bun won't survive the anaesthetic, which I know is a little risky and it worries me to, but it would give him a much better quality of life if it goes well. OH is also thinking about how painful the procedure is (I think that's a usual male response, sorry if that offends anyone). How can I convince him to do what's right by the rabbit? What's everyone elses experiences with getting their pet neutered?:smt100
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2006, 04:42 PM
I have friends who are well respected breeders/judges of rabbits - would you like me to put you in touch with them? It might convince your OH, if it came from an 'expert'

thandi
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2006, 04:49 PM
I had Binka my Netherland dwarf male rabbit neutered in April this year and he has been fine He was about 10 months old when he was done.

This is Binka

and Rosie
Nicky
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-10-2006, 06:16 PM
Yes please Thandi, that would be really helpful, thanks!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2006, 06:19 PM
Fluffybunny is also excellent at giving advice on all aspects of rabbits and neutering and she will probably be able to help you when she comes on in a bit
Nicky
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-10-2006, 06:19 PM
Your bunnies are really cute Foxy. My bunny (Bandit) is also a grey netherland dwarf, he's the first dwarf I've owned and I'm quite a convert!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2006, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
Your bunnies are really cute Foxy. My bunny (Bandit) is also a grey netherland dwarf, he's the first dwarf I've owned and I'm quite a convert!
Yes they are lovely aren't they although out of the two of them Rosie is the nicer one - Binka can be a bit on the norty side sometimes - he has never actually bit but he does sometimes make a warning noise and run at your hand
Fluffybunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-10-2006, 10:32 PM
Hi Nicky! It's great that you want to get your bun neutered and get him a friend. Neutering male bunnies is a very quick operation and the risk is minimal. They recover extremely quickly and are usually back to themselves within 24 hours. I recently had a 4 year old rescue bun neutered and he was right as rain by the time I picked him up from the surgery later the same day. Your bun will most likely have been given a painkilling injection which lasts for 24 hours, most don't need any more although obviously if you are worried then you can take him back to the vets.

Of course there is always a risk with the anaesthetic but it's not very small. I work with a number of rescues, and between them they neuter hundreds, if not thousands, of rabbits each year. I could probably count on one hand the number that have been lost through it.

I think the risks to rabbits during surgery are overstated, mainly because rabbits don't show that they are sick until they are very seriously ill, so many rabbits going under anaesthetic at the vets (not neutering of course, I'm talking sickies here) are already much more sick than the equivalent cat or dog.

Would you consider getting a rescue bun to go with your boy? I know of rescues all over the country and many of them will be able to let you take your bun along to 'match make' him with a suitable companion, which really takes the stress out of trying to bond them. The only thing to beware of is that if the female is not spayed, he needs to be kept on his own for 6 weeks after the op, as believe it or not, he can still get a bun pregnant for that long!

Please feel free to pm me if you want some help in tracking down a rescue who might be able to help you. Good luck xxx
Fluffybunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-10-2006, 10:40 PM
Aaaah and I can't resist but to show you my new foster buns - they are orphaned babies. Aren't they GORGEOUS!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...A/HPIM1183.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...A/HPIM1180.jpg
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2006, 01:18 AM
I would have thought the spraying would have been enough to convince anyone It stinks
Good luck convincing your OH. Hormonal bunnies are not much fun

Fluffybunny they are soooooo cute!!!! :smt007
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >