View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2006, 05:04 PM

How can I stop a rabbit chewing and stripping wood.

Binka now has a double hutch like Rosie but I have only one pen between them so I decided it was Binkas turn this afternoon cos Rosie used it this morning and had gone back in again. So Binka comes out and goes in the pen but 1/2 later went up and he has sat there chewing and stripping all the wood of one of the sides I was going to buy him a pen of his own this weekend but if he was in it much longer I reckon he will chew right through it. Is there anything I can do to stop him because there is no point buying one if he is going to do this Is it normal for rabbits to do this because Rosie has never done it

This is what he did

random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2006, 05:06 PM
Mine did that too foxy. You can buy wooden apparently flavoured!) chew toy thingys from P.A.H and put marmite on the wood

Hope that helps
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2006, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
Mine did that too foxy. You can buy wodden chew toy thingys from P.A.H and put marmite on the wood

Hope that helps
Oh don't they like Marmite then? Thanks Random I will give that a try. He has had wooden toys and doesn't bother with them. I was wondering whether he had done it cos he could smell Rosie on it and knew it wasn't his pen or something - don't know if rabbits think like that
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2006, 05:49 PM
Yes they are a dab hand at this sort of stuff Foxy, I have aluminum strips round the top of the "stable" doors on my bunny's hutch, very cheap and easy, angled stuff is freely available in B&Q and looks ace!
dawn.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2006, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Yes they are a dab hand at this sort of stuff Foxy, I have aluminum strips round the top of the "stable" doors on my bunny's hutch, very cheap and easy, angled stuff is freely available in B&Q and looks ace!
dawn.
Thanks Dawn - have to get o/h on the job then or pull Binkas teeth out
Fluffybunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-10-2006, 09:31 PM
LOL perfectly normal, Foxy - you should see the state of mine. Little Dudley in particular completely destroys his. I think it's often frustration - whether that's because they want to be on the outside running around, or because it smells odd - maybe it smells of her territory and he doesn't like that.

I'd also suggest the angled metal pieces you can get from B&Q. Just make sure you get smooth ones, as they are meant to be plastered over, so some of them have very sharp bits for the plaster to key into, and binka could end up with a cut mouth!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2006, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by Fluffybunny View Post
LOL perfectly normal, Foxy - you should see the state of mine. Little Dudley in particular completely destroys his. I think it's often frustration - whether that's because they want to be on the outside running around, or because it smells odd - maybe it smells of her territory and he doesn't like that.

I'd also suggest the angled metal pieces you can get from B&Q. Just make sure you get smooth ones, as they are meant to be plastered over, so some of them have very sharp bits for the plaster to key into, and binka could end up with a cut mouth!
Thanks Fluffy - I was meant to be getting him a pen of his own tomorrow but I thought he could do with a run out so let him borrow Rosies. I did sort of wonder before I let him use it whether it was the right thing to do with it being her pen I will get him a new one and see if he starts doing that with his and if he does will get the metal strips. He did chew a bit inside his old cage so maybe its a male thing I don't think Rosie has done any chewing at all. Rosie is the digger and Binka is the chewer

Thanks for your brilliant advice
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2006, 10:01 PM
Heres a picture of the little angels taken this afternoon
Binka

Rosie

BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2006, 12:11 AM
Sorry Foxy I have to laugh, that looks sooooooooo familiar! If louie had been in her pen much longer after her op she would have eaten her way out I had to keep removing all the wood chippings incase she sat on them

Good luck with the metal strips Lovely photos
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2006, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by BrandieSnap View Post
Sorry Foxy I have to laugh, that looks sooooooooo familiar! If louie had been in her pen much longer after her op she would have eaten her way out I had to keep removing all the wood chippings incase she sat on them

Good luck with the metal strips Lovely photos
Thanks Brandie
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >