Our sister sites
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by Staffy
Originally Posted by Laura ISBT
Originally Posted by Jenny
i heard somewhere that alot of the bully breeds are stolen for fighting dog purposes. Not necessarily to put in the ring to fight, but so they can train their own dogs on them?
Jenny I will just say dont believe everything you hear.
Laura
Laura try telling that to someone who rescued a staffie from a dog fighting ring as he was being used as 'bait'
I am not agreeing with what happens Staffy or saying that it doesnt go on, what I am saying is its less prevelant than what we are lead to believe and the media dont always portray the truth....
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2004, 03:12 PM
As you say Laura the media do have a lot to answer for.

A friend of mine has a beuatiful balck & white pied staffy. He was taken from their garden and then a week later was found tied to their gate. The only thing we can think of is that he was taken to use as a stud
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2004, 03:28 PM
Unhappily it isn't the media that I have my experiences with it is from dog rescues and sanctuaries I have been involved with. The dog fighting business is growing all the time - it is far underground and little seems to be being done to stop it. Many dogs of the so called "fighting breeds" are stolen to order for it.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2004, 03:39 PM
so sad
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by wiggle
Unhappily it isn't the media that I have my experiences with it is from dog rescues and sanctuaries I have been involved with. The dog fighting business is growing all the time - it is far underground and little seems to be being done to stop it. Many dogs of the so called "fighting breeds" are stolen to order for it.
We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one I am afraid. Like I said before the average pet is of no use to a serious dogman maybe wannabe dog fighters steal "to order" as you say but I very much doubt that professional dogfighters would be caught trying to steal pets from gardens they just wouldnt cut the mustard in the ring, why go to that trouble when they have access to excellent quality dogs?

Dog fighters will and always have been in the minority, the media and some rescue organisations such as the RSPCA do more harm than good by telling the general public false information that then leads to the wannabe dogfighters causing more cruelty like I explained above. Whilst I agree they can be great at protecting animals and do a wonderful service in the past they have never done any of the bull breeds, specifically the APBT any favours like I would expect an animal welfare organisation to do but that is a different subject. I am in no way defending them but I dont like to read the lies that are put about either because as well as reflecting bad on Staffords and other historically fighting breeds it also reflects badly on their owners too.

Laura
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2004, 01:01 PM
Laura just don't get me started on the RSPCA My experience is with a couple of smaller inner city rescues it seems from the dogs who are recovered that they use household pets to train with - I have no proof but seeing the state they are in when they are returned they have been used brutally for some sort of fighting.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2004, 02:00 PM
I've also heard that drug addicts steal the dogs and when the rewards are offered the dog is returned.
Just shows what some people will do for money, not thinking the heart ache it causes
I know what its like to have a dog taken and I never want to go through that again, so caution is top priority in my house.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by hectorsmum
I've also heard that drug addicts steal the dogs and when the rewards are offered the dog is returned.
Just shows what some people will do for money, not thinking the heart ache it causes
I know what its like to have a dog taken and I never want to go through that again, so caution is top priority in my house.
Having lived in an area where there are junkies everywhere (all in private rented accommodation paid for by the council I might add ) I can quite believe that they would stoop that low. I will just add that they would steal the jacket from their grannies backs if they thought it would make them a quick ££££.

I used to be very naive and think that they all deserved a chance and I would talk to the ones I knew were just because I am like that, now after living amongst them for a few years seeing what they do & how the operate and my friend telling me stories of her night shifts on hospital wards I have come to the conlusion that there are no good junkies at all - at least when they are on teh stuff.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2004, 02:45 PM
Bring back corporal punishment !!!!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2