Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kirsty
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-11-2004, 01:22 PM

Why so many dogs being pinched?

I cannot understand why so many dogs are being stolen lately... what the hell is going on.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2004, 01:29 PM
The amount of dogs stolen every year is shocking Kirsty, and I'd imagine most of them are for financial gain from the thiefs point of view
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2004, 01:36 PM
The price of a pedigree dog is such that criminals can make an awful lot of money also dog fighting is big business and many of the "fighting" breeds are stolen for that.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2004, 01:40 PM
Its a sad thought but many dogs stolen, are stolen to order abroad
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by wiggle
The price of a pedigree dog is such that criminals can make an awful lot of money also dog fighting is big business and many of the "fighting" breeds are stolen for that.
I dont think that really is the case with the so called fighting dogs. First of all what the media fill peoples heads with is crap in some ways they do more harm than good, dogfighting isn't and never has been big business, there is no money in dogfighting these people do it for the pleasure. I am not justifying what they do nor am I agreeing with the sport but it is something I have read up on quite a bit because the Stafford was like it or not bred as a fighting dog in the past & I like to read up on their history as well as my favourite breed the APBT. I dont agree with it but I do know that dogs in these circles are highly valued & just any old dog wont do.

I dont doubt that many are stolen and end up in the wrong hands however professional dog fighters like to stick to the dogs & bloodlines they know best. Most pets are average in that they are not game or they wouldnt be capable of much (nor would we want them to be), most dog fighters wouldnt be interested in the average bull & terrier raised as a pet, their main interest is in game bred dogs with the right tempraments and for that reason I dont think they would bother stealing our pet bulls from the garden etc.

I think that some breeds are more prone to be stolen like Bull breeds because they have that "macho" look that a lot of idiots like and unfortunatley they become prey to these idtios for this reason. Also there is a lot of money to be made like somebody pointed out, they steal a dog breed it a couple of times then dispose of it sad but true.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2004, 02:20 PM
i heard somewhere that alot of the bully breeds are stolen for fighting dog purposes. Not necessarily to put in the ring to fight, but so they can train their own dogs on them?
mr.leo
Dogsey Senior

08-11-2004, 02:26 PM
Most pet dogs & cats were stolen for medical research at certain times of the year the amount of missing pets increases thats when they are in your area but thankfully it's on the decline as experiments on animals has decreased some are taken for their coats thats why you see pedigree cats with sections of fur missing this done by the owners so that they will not be stolen for their coat.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by Jenny
i heard somewhere that alot of the bully breeds are stolen for fighting dog purposes. Not necessarily to put in the ring to fight, but so they can train their own dogs on them?
Jenny I will just say dont believe everything you hear. They also say the same about kittens being put into the ring to train older dogs. In reality serious dogmen dont use any dogs as "bait" they dont need to use anything as "bait" contrary to popular belief the dogs dont need to have a reason its in their blood to want to fight the only training they get is physical training to ensure they are at their peak performance, only amateurs try stupid things like this and the reason I mention that the media can often inadvertently cause more harm is because they spout lies like this off and wannabe fighters take it as gospel and start trying to use puppies, kittens or whatever else as "Bait". Like I said before I am not pro-dogfighting I do like to read up both sides of the lines so I can make informed judgments, I really dont like the lies the media in general say about them either not because I support them but like the above example they often do more harm than good.

Like I said dont always believe what you read or hear.

Laura
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by Laura ISBT
Originally Posted by Jenny
Jenny I will just say dont believe everything you hear.
Laura
Laura try telling that to someone who rescued a staffie from a dog fighting ring as he was being used as 'bait'
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2004, 02:36 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >