Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-07-2013, 12:52 AM

Thyroid and Coat Condition

Dallas' coat has gotten much better since we finally got his thyroid medication at the proper dose. His feet and legs have gotten their shine back but the rest is still a little dull. His coat is back to being soft but no shine. I supplement his diet with coconut oil, sunflower oil and fish oil interchangeably. Is there anything I can do to get his coat back to being shiny again? He's been on the medication for 6 months now.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Think you may have to wait until coat has shed and regrown to get it back in really good condition. My Beardie has just been diagnosed as Hypothyroid and although the medication is starting to work on his behaviour his coat is still very dull
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-07-2013, 12:41 PM
I commented to one of my vets that my boys armpits and belly had got noticeably hairier after taking the soloxine for a short while and he made it clear by his tone he thought i was making it up and said that it takes at least 6months to have an effect on coat.

Q. what are the benefits of sunflower oil? i get coconut and fish but not sure about sun?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2013, 03:24 PM
I used evening primrose oil.

Every day after grooming or if you don't groom every day, try this. Get a good chamois leather - you will get one in a car accessory shop. Wet it in tepid water, squeeze loosely so it's still wet but not dripping. Go all over the coat starting from the head in the line of the coat. It's very effective in bringing gloss back to an animals coat.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-07-2013, 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
Think you may have to wait until coat has shed and regrown to get it back in really good condition. My Beardie has just been diagnosed as Hypothyroid and although the medication is starting to work on his behaviour his coat is still very dull
I hope that's the case. He had such a nice shiny coat.

Originally Posted by Dobermonkey View Post
I commented to one of my vets that my boys armpits and belly had got noticeably hairier after taking the soloxine for a short while and he made it clear by his tone he thought i was making it up and said that it takes at least 6months to have an effect on coat.

Q. what are the benefits of sunflower oil? i get coconut and fish but not sure about sun?
Sunflower oil is a source of linoleic acid

Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
I used evening primrose oil.

Every day after grooming or if you don't groom every day, try this. Get a good chamois leather - you will get one in a car accessory shop. Wet it in tepid water, squeeze loosely so it's still wet but not dripping. Go all over the coat starting from the head in the line of the coat. It's very effective in bringing gloss back to an animals coat.
I'll give that a try. Thank you.